Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hmmm is my H2 slow compared to yours???

Now that I have gotten used to the H2, sorted out the handling with decent tires (where it doesn't scare the piss out of you, late braking into a corner). And the thing doesn't wheelie for $hit, I'm starting to worry that the thing really isn't all that fast in comparison to other H2s. It certainly doesn't feel mega fast. I talked to the dealer today and he is going to hook me up with the district manager, I have talked to him before and is a good guy. I need to have something to compare to. Anything as woefully undergeared as the H2 will feel fast, it is still geared lower than the 10. Something must be amiss.

P.S.
I edited this to be a bit more self explanatory. The title now read "Hmmm is my H2 slow compared to yours?"

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ted, you said before it accelerated harder than your 10.

I am not sure why you are asking why it has restrained wheelies in first and really nothing in gears past that because everybody is replying look to electronic -- either antiwheelie or throttle restriction map that doesn't suit your altitude -- and you keep blaming mechanical, which no one has thought the more likely.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ted , It's time to stop posting "what if " and "maybe it's" messages .
Either take a day and ride to sea level or lower altitude and try the bloody thing again or try and meet up with someone with a 2015 or 2016 H2 and try one .
You have stated it come up around 18" in first gear only , it's a 200 HP supercharged motorcycle! It would wheelie higher that that at Mount Everest base camp without the Kawasaki Castration System kicking in .

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm thinking 3 things here.

1. You really have no idea what you are talking about which I assume is probably not the case?

2. You are trolling this forum by making these ridiculous comments.

3. Your bike has an issue?

I will agree the stock H2 isn't that much faster than a new generation 1000. Its corked up a lot. But to say its slow WTF are you kidding me? What's the fastest bike you have ever owned not ridden would be my next question?

Once this thing is flashed its a fucking monster. In all honesty Ted the bike pulls like nothing else I have ever ridden and I have been riding fast bike's since 1982. I also spend a great deal of time at one of the oldest motorcycle dealerships in the country and have let afew of the old and current racers ride this bike.

Everyone of them have come back with a grin on they're face that pretty much says it all. All fucking Motor! This is nothing like they have ever experienced in they're life.

I have enjoyed reading some of your post but this post is ridiculous and I'm surprised you made it.

Some very fast and talented people have ridden the stock H2 and have all pretty much agreed that nothing pull's like it. I'm a of fan of all brands and will ride anything I can get my hands on so your post's don't hurting my feelings but they do make me wonder if maybe you bought the wrong bike. I'm thinking you might have been better off with the S1000RR.

The electronics on the BMW can tuned to your liking. Put it in race mode and go for it and you can wheelie all day. Had a nice one for 3 years's easy bike to ride plenty of power and pretty comfy. The new one is coming out, new engine. frame, electronics. cluster. weight. size, this will be direct competition for the new gen 1000 and I suspect BMW will make a statement with this new one.

Anyways Ted I have stated the above only because I find your posts repetitive and useless. You have been pushing this topic which means nothing to every other owner on this forum and none of us have this issue of power or wheelies. Yes your ECU and IMU are different I get it might be more intrusive than the 15 and 16s but you have not listen to anything we have recommended.

1. Get the bike baseline dyno.
2. Flash the bike/custom tune
3. Get final dyno.

We and I are trying to help you but I'm not sure if that's possible cause I'm starting to question the point of posts?

Check your dealer Ted cause you might get a good trade in on that new BMW and it comes with a 36month/36 thousand mile warranty. Out of the box you couldn't ask for a finer machine. Best stock fuel mapping on any bike period! If you cant ride a BMW good then you really do suck!

Good luck Ted. >:D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I annoyed you guys.

My last post was about where the boost kicks in, which is still a bit hazy as to where anyones bike kicks in.
The wheelie issue is troubling because when you hammer the throttle in the meat of the powerband in a low gear you are earthbound.

As for what creepy847 asked my progression of bikes since the 80s has been 85 Ninja 900 (bored to 975), 88 ZX10, 91 ZX11, 2000 ZX12, 2005 ZX10 (with OEM road race head gasket), a 2008 Concours 14 (I am the first and maybe only guy to ever blow one up) , and a 2009 Concours 14.

I am now asking a different question. Is my H2 slow??? Yes, you do get a decent rush at higher RPMs, but is it the same as what you guys are getting?

The wheelie issue could be electronics and that is a big sack of worms. BUT what if it isn't? When I go near sea level things don't seem that much different which is what I expected from a SC motorcycle.

Here is why I divert from the other thread, this is a new bike under warranty (and I may want to extend said warranty, which after looking at the parts book prices isn't a bad idea). The wheelie issue may not be fixable until it gets flashed or get an older ECU. But what if the bike is under powered because of something else? Maybe not a lot but just enough. My 10 feels slow up here, but at sea level is it a unicycle. The H2 just doesn't feel much faster, maybe a tiny bit. And again my gearing up isn't helping.

All I have is you guys to talk to about it. I sure as $hit can't go to the dealer and say this bike isn't performing well and have them look at it, they are a decent dealer but they don't $hit from shinola. And having them flog it around ain't going to happen. There is no one here to compare the bike to, so I need to gleen details about it's performance from you guys, and then go to Kawasaki and get an expert to look at it. If I flash it now, said warranty is in jeopardy. A dyno run is a great idea but there is only one dyno around here and they are moving and aren't doing runs.

And let me make some snide remarks about starting another thread ;) , WTF else do you guys have to that is so important? Sometimes this forum is dead quiet. Is the bandwidth so important to you? Eventually someone will answer the other thread, Brock's chart although nice, doesn't give me info that can compare anything with.

So starting a different thread that asks is my H2 slow is so bad? It may be the 2018 is even more restricted, or there is something wrong. This isn't about wheelies. Is is trolling to ask a different set of questions?

And finally don't you guys like talking about H2s and getting detailed info from others?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yeah Ted,we like talking about our H2's.It's just that...well...no one has one that's performing like yours is.To resolve this issue...you NEED to get down to a lower altitude and run her.It SHOULD perform like any other H2.Unplug the IMU and the KCMF.See what she does.KTRC 'off'.She'll probably still run okay with those systems unplugged temporarily.IDK.CALL KAWASAKI in Irvine,Calif.ASK THEM what they think.That's an easy solution.They're VERY helpful there.

It is a bit confusing cause you say she wheelies like in first 'up to 18" '.and that's hard to settle with you saying' she's slow and won't wheely'...I can't picture what you're doing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Ted,we like talking about our H2's.It's just that...well...no one has one that's performing like yours is.To resolve this issue...you NEED to get down to a lower altitude and run her.It SHOULD perform like any other H2.Unplug the IMU and the KCMF.See what she does.KTRC 'off'.She'll probably still run okay with those systems unplugged temporarily.IDK.CALL KAWASAKI in Irvine,Calif.ASK THEM what they think.That's an easy solution.They're VERY helpful there.

It is a bit confusing cause you say she wheelies like in first 'up to 18" '.and that's hard to settle with you saying' she's slow and won't wheely'...I can't picture what you're doing.
I'm having the dealer call Irvine to talk to a very knowledgeable guy. I think I will call myself, maybe being an H2 buyer will get me through. Normally they say talk to the dealer.

The 18" wheelie is in first, and honestly the conditions have to be right, it won't do it all the time. It does not wheelie at all if you don't let off and bang the throttle. in second sometimes is comes up one inch. I have taken it to near sea level and I got a 2-3" wheelie in a shift into second. Third no way, not even an inch. And that was before re-gearing.
Wheelies are a good indicator of power. What would you guys think if someone told you their bikes come up in 4th, and your bike wouldn't come up in third, not even an inch??? Not even an inch in third. Does that sound like IMU getting in the way?

I am trying to get some idea of what is going on. I need comparisons. I want to learn. I must be different than most. I love analyzing a problem. I bore people to death when I get technical.

This is a snippet of what I write and do everyday ( coders here will know)

/*****************************************************************************
** Function name: FLEX_INT2_IRQHandler
** Descriptions: Card Reader Track 2 Clock
** parameters: None
** Returned value: None
*****************************************************************************/
void FLEX_INT2_IRQHandler(void)
{
flex_int2_counter++;
if ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IST & (0x1<<2) )
{
if ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->ISEL & (0x1<<2) )
{
flex_int2_level_counter++;
}
else
{
if ( ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->RISE & (0x1<<2) ) && ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IENR & (0x1<<2) ) )
{
flex_int2_rising_edge_counter++;
LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->RISE = 0x1<<2;
GetTrackTwoBit();
}
if ( ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->FALL & (0x1<<2) ) && ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IENF & (0x1<<2) ) )
{
flex_int2_falling_edge_counter++;
LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->FALL = 0x1<<2;
}
LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IST = 0x1<<2;
}
}
return;
}

/*****************************************************************************
** Function name: FLEX_INT3_IRQHandler
** Descriptions: Card Reader REAR detector
** parameters: None
** Returned value: None
*****************************************************************************/
void FLEX_INT3_IRQHandler(void)
{
flex_int3_counter++;
if ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IST & (0x1<<3) )
{
if ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->ISEL & (0x1<<3) )
{
flex_int3_level_counter++;
}
else
{
if ( ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->RISE & (0x1<<3) ) && ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IENR & (0x1<<3) ) )
{
flex_int3_rising_edge_counter++;
LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->RISE = 0x1<<3;
//////////ProcessCardStateChange();
SetTrackOneStart(0);//Card pull is the rising edge
SetTrackTwoStart(0);//Card pull is the rising edge
cardState = Removing;
RearDet = true;
///////LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->RISE = 0x1<<3;
}
if ( ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->FALL & (0x1<<3) ) && ( LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IENF & (0x1<<3) ) )
{
flex_int3_falling_edge_counter++;//Card insert it falling edge
//ProcessCardStateChange();
LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->FALL = 0x1<<3;
if(FrontDet == true && (T1DataLen || T2DataLen ) )
{
ProcessCardEnd(T1DataLen,2);
if(T1Valid)
{
cardState = GoodRead;
//ProcessCardEnd(T1DataLen,2);
}
else
{
cardState = BadRead;
}

}
else
{
//////////ProcessCardStateChange();
}
FrontDet = false;
//////LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->FALL = 0x1<<3;
}
LPC_GPIO_PIN_INT->IST = 0x1<<3;
}
}
return;
}

So believe me I dig deep.
But first I need to identify the problem and then know exactly what I am talking about when I talk to Kawasaki. I need others to say what their bikes actually do so I can ask why mine dosen't.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"Normally they say talk to the dealer".You say...'I've already done that and haven't had my issue resolved'.

" I need others to say what their bikes actually do so I can ask why mine dosen't"...well,that's what we've been doing.
You ask them straight out...does(your year model)have a system that reduces the bikes ability to loft in any gear'.Then go from there.Bring up the altitude issue.Ask if their SC is affected at that altitude.Tell em what you've done to try and get it to loft.They don't care,it's your bike.If they can't offer a solution...then ask about a replacement or something.Don't argue.Just be civil and determined.
I don't think anything is wrong with your bike.But those new electronics may be affecting it.Sounds like it.MAYBE there's a setting in there that you possibly didn't see?IDK.

·
Registered
577 Posts
From the comments I'm guessing we are talking about a 2017 or 2018 bike here ? Those bikes have the new and uprated electronics package including anti wheelie control. A friend has a 2017 and he says it feels slow as, as he said, 'the sh1t doesn't hit the fan' when he gives it full throttle. But the performance numbers say something different ..........Feeling slow and being slow are two different things.

Is it possible to switch the electronic aids off on a 17 or 18 bike ?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Glad I was able to get my 2015.The og beasties.

Thing about 'calling the dealer' with this is...they may not even contact Kawasaki,especially if they know these new aids are dumbing down performance and can't be unlocked(and remain in warranty status).That's why I'd call Irvine and get a personal conversation.

IF this is what's happening,your friend would be Don Guhl.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ted, I remember that before you got the bike you had a lot of posts about superchargers and altitude, with a position that supercharged engines supposedly don't have the same percentage loss with altitude as naturally aspirated engines. Your thoughts then may be relevant to your expectations now

Now it's simple: unless the pressure is limited in normal operation by the blowoff valve (not the case for the H2) then if you have say only 82% normal atmospheric pressure, typical for Denver, the engine will flow only 82% the air and make at best 82% the power.

Some genius you know told you something different and so you were determined that that was not so, the H2 should not lose as much with altitude as other bikes, and you came out of the thread or threads with the same view as when going in.

Well, it is so.

Where the H2 can have advantage over others at altitude is that unrestricted, it has such huge excess of power in lower gears that it could lose 18% or whatever and still have more than enough to wheelie.

Also on your bike anti-wheelie may be in play.

Several have offered several suggestions that seem a lot more logical and productive than checking for airbox leaks, impeller problems, or any mechanical issue. Just no evidence towards mechanical problem.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@trenace , If it were performing like others have described at (near) sea level I would chalk it up to altitude, but it doesn't At near sea level the only way this bikes front end will loft in third is with a fork lift.

BUT I do have a theory that might make sense. As I said every once in a while it it comes up(in second), not a lot but comes up. In Nevada you get CA bikes with the evaporative emissions (don't know way but all of my Kwaks have had it). I fill up the bike before each ride and put in as much as possible because of it's dismal mileage. Most places I go have really twisty roads, I am starting to suspect that the sloshing fuel from the leaning is fouling the evap canister This is the only vent for the tank. If it is fouled the tank gets limited venting and maybe, just maybe it is screwing with the fuel pressure.

The reason I say this is today I after I filled up I was behind some very slow traffic and the twisty part before a short straight was very gentle. When I went to pass the traffic it came up about 4" in second. Hmmm many times it wont.

I had a similar problem on my 85 900 Ninja, the evap can fouled and it ran like crap, it was gravity feed so there was a bigger effect. Normally I remove the system (you need to plug off some lines and there is an extra vent in the tank that needs to be plugged). I just haven't got to it yet. I will give this a try, hopefully it will if nothing else make the bike more consistent.
Talking to the dealer today, he is going to ask the district manager to come to Reno and when he does he can ride the bike. I'm told he is very familiar with H2s. The dealer (owner) said he wouldn't want anyone at his establishment riding or even messing with the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you mention that your bike is geared up? If you're stock and geared up then maybe that's your problem. I know my h2 felt pretty meh when I first got it and i broke it in hard, even voided the warranty after the first week so I could unlock the full potential. Now at stock gearing with bolt-ons the thing is useless up until 4th gear.

Body position also plays a factor when it comes to wheeling this bike.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey, read this. Today even though I knew I would get a wet arse I checked my bike against what you have been commenting on at Sea level and 1000ft because I felt irritated at other peoples post being ignored.

You have either got it in 'Rain Mode' or you have a problem with the bike or you have rocks in your head!
Mine is a 2017 with all the new electronics and will pull wheelies, cause my sphincter to twitch, try and tear my arms out of their sockets so stop posting S^#t, the fix for your problem as is not going to be fixed here.
As well as being just as terrifying like the 2015-16 models the 2017-18 has slipper clutch, 40% lighter lever pull, down shifter and different rear suspension.
Do everybody a favor and just sell it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good point about making sure it's not in rain mode...lol.

You dont see a little umbrella highlighted on your dash do you?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey, read this. Today even though I knew I would get a wet arse I checked my bike against what you have been commenting on at Sea level and 1000ft because I felt irritated at other peoples post being ignored.

You have either got it in 'Rain Mode' or you have a problem with the bike or you have rocks in your head!
Mine is a 2017 with all the new electronics and will pull wheelies, cause my sphincter to twitch, try and tear my arms out of their sockets so stop posting S^#t, the fix for your problem as is not going to be fixed here.
As well as being just as terrifying like the 2015-16 models the 2017-18 has slipper clutch, 40% lighter lever pull, down shifter and different rear suspension.
Do everybody a favor and just sell it.
Maybe it would have been better t speak up sooner, and say you had a 2017 and now I know it is not performing up to par. Thank you.

No, it is not in rain mode. I checked several times.

I am trying everything everyone has said except for the dyno because there isn't one available. I don't ignore anyone's posts.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts