Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm a Senior Reactor Operator at the largest nuclear generating station in the U.S. I was really hoping someone could explain thermodynamics and fluid flow to an absolute imbecile. I think air is also a fluid. Maybe not. I'm not sure. But I wish someone clearly smarter than me would explain how to get more power out of the H2. All of the stuff that I have read on this forum is clearly nonsense. Would the smartest guy on the planet step up and put it in layman's terms so I can extract all the power out of my bike that Kawi wanted to put in it?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Okay...for starters..air is a gas...yet behaves like a fluid... compressible,whereas a fluid is not.NEXT!;)

(did I get that right?)....sounded good anyway.

I think if they'd had designed a smaller airbox,and kept the SC as is...they could have increased the fuel tank volume to at least 5.5 gallons...that'd be sweet!Plus they'd have gotten more psi as well...if they'd only designed an intercooler....dropped the big can and figured out a way to muffle the H2R exhaust..they'd have saved the extra weight an intercooler might have added.

And for God's sake...CHANGE that silly fuel/gals readout,and have a REGULAR readout of present fuel level.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
While we're questioning stuff here...can anyone tell me just WHY I need to know my 'boost temp'.I honestly don't get that.'PSI' would have been much more informative user wise?Unless there's some sort of 'secret code' attached to that temp readout deal with the little triangled icons?

·
Registered
278 Posts
So I'm a Senior Reactor Operator at the largest nuclear generating station in the U.S. I was really hoping someone could explain thermodynamics and fluid flow to an absolute imbecile. I think air is also a fluid. Maybe not. I'm not sure. But I wish someone clearly smarter than me would explain how to get more power out of the H2. All of the stuff that I have read on this forum is clearly nonsense. Would the smartest guy on the planet step up and put it in layman's terms so I can extract all the power out of my bike that Kawi wanted to put in it?
Is this it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I took thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer in university as part of my engineering degree ... a loooooong time ago, but I still have several very thick textbooks filled with equations, and I make no claim to knowing more than a fraction of it; just enough to get by ... If there is a way to put this in laymen's terms, I don't know of it. We have to make simplifications at the engineering level in order to make at least the simplified version of a given problem solvable in a practical manner - enough to get the general idea, perhaps a reasonably close approximation of what will happen in the real world if your simplifications are reasonable.

Computational fluid dynamics takes it to a level that is beyond anything that I've ever played around with.

Partial differential equations is where my comprehension gave out back then, and I've forgotten plenty since then ...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"I agree, having static intake air temp was way more useful on the Gen 4 ZX10R"...okay...can you tell me WHY the intake temp is a useful thing?Honestly,I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The intake air temp can tell you roughly how much the air has been compressed by the difference to ambient air temp. The ECU must be using it for some purpose. I too am puzzled why the intake air pressure is not shown digitally as it would be useful to know. instead we get 3 digital squigglies. I wonder if there is an engineering mode to the display using secret button press sequences ....hmmmmm

On the wife's Pontiac G8 the IAT and MAP are used in sophisticated fueling calculations in the ECU. And it has an engineering mode with all sorts of real-time information available.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
They seem to be somewhat 'incremental'...I mean...as you know,they appear when on the gas for a bit,then drop off as the engine gets 'back' into a cruise range.It looks like they might correspond to PSI...but I don't know.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Call this man for help...

·
Registered
836 Posts
You're a Senior Reactor Operator at a nuclear generating station and in your own words an absolute imbecile ! Bloody **** Homer has an H2 !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it wasn't completely obvious, I was being passive-aggressive and directing my post towards a certain individual. All of the incessant drivel about us blowing up our motors if we do anything other than increase the intake size was starting to bother the heck out of me. I know, I should use the block feature. Anyway, Homer...Check, Imbecile....errr, I hope not. LOL! None of you would be happy if I allowed Madame Curie's wrath to escape her home.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My brain almost melted today , I was tooling through comments on 650's most recent videos and there were a few guys in there seriously arguing that 650's bike was technically stock because an ECU flash isn't really a mod, just tapping into what was there anyways...

I couldn't decide if they were making a valid and astute observation or just too much weed... LOL

So boys, how do you feel about flashes... a mod or not a mod LOL ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My brain almost melted today , I was tooling through comments on 650's most recent videos and there were a few guys in there seriously arguing that 650's bike was technically stock because an ECU flash isn't really a mod, just tapping into what was there anyways...

I couldn't decide if they were making a valid and astute observation or just too much weed... LOL

So boys, how do you feel about flashes... a mod or not a mod LOL ;)
An ECU Flash cannot (obviously) be considered "stock" but what's interesting is how much Kawi held the bike back/restricted the bike stock & how they did it with throttle bodies closing and power dropping off purposely way before (3k rpm) redline when other bikes don't have anywhere near the same amount of nannies going on or power left untapped, so that argument could be made that if without the agreement, legal Mumbo jumbo, the H2 was allowed to exist how it should/could have been stock the bike could have easily been making much more HP. No other bike can you pick up so much more power w/ a flash, deresticted to actual redline. So I understand the point & even though would like it to be true, an after-market flash is a mod. & technically NOT stock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anything that departs from stock configuration is, by definition, modified. Where's the Staples Easy Button?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anything that departs from stock configuration is, by definition, modified. Where's the Staples Easy Button?
Agree, those guys thinking a flashed bike should be considered stock also thought (some of them) a slipon or even a full exhaust should be considered stock because "everybody does it".
But it is'nt an easy definition, is the bike still stock after mounting a tail tidy? or when you change battery and other stuff to get the weight down? how many parts do you have to change before it's not considered stock anymore?
do we care?.....:)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I don't...I got an A if I remember in critical thinking in College...That's as far as I go.;)

Okay...I'll toss in my hat...on second thought.Good question there;)

Since it IS capable of producing bigger performance...from the factory...I'm not completely sold that opening the ECU up to factory implanted parameters(rev limits,primaries opening sooner and staying open) actually IS modifying it.Now if it was a removing something...say..the exhaust...now THAT I'd go with as a modification.

"producing bigger performance from the factory" is not saying...adding cams and such.THAT would be modifying also.

I say..."my H2 has had an ECU that's been opened up to allow the real potential to come out...what the factory already put there"...does that sound right?And I 'modded' the exhaust.That's what I tell anyone asking about it.(almost forgot about that air filter;))That's a mod as well:p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts