Ninja H2 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted the Vandemon pipe and had her dyno tuned and flashed. First run with the pipe and all stock was 186hp at the wheel after tuning it was 228hp. The day before my mate had his H2R done at the same shop and it was 220hp before and 280hp after. My H2 is still a pig to ride but way better than it was stock. Hopefully it will be better after the intercooler, stage 2 gears, cams and further tuning are done.
Shitty commuter bike
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=a.3436821593327.151253.1054099985&type=3

·
Registered
183 Posts
I fitted the Vandemon pipe and had her dyno tuned and flashed. First run with the pipe and all stock was 186hp at the wheel after tuning it was 228hp. The day before my mate had his H2R done at the same shop and it was 220hp before and 280hp after. My H2 is still a pig to ride but way better than it was stock. Hopefully it will be better after the intercooler, stage 2 gears, cams and further tuning are done.
Shitty commuter bike
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=a.3436821593327.151253.1054099985&type=3
Great info, providing dyno results from both de-restricted, tuned H2 with Vandemon and tuned H2R on same dyno.

Obviously that takes out the restriction factor and pretty much takes out the pipe factor too.

That leaves 52 more hp (roughly, as always some variation) apparently only from cams and less-restricted intake, unless there is something I can't think of!

Early in the board's history there was at least one thread stating quite a bit of restriction for the stock bike, but not the H2R, from how air leads to the supercharger, with dyno data. But then that line of thinking seemed to disappear.

(EDIT, found such a post: http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/203906-post26.html )

Also, did not know H2R's were delivered with so much room for increase from tuning, had not thought they were restricted and almost can't imagine timing or fueling could be that far from peak power!

·
Registered
587 Posts
H2R cams also allow more boost. So the H2R is making 24psi vs the H2's stock 15-16psi with the factory rev limit, and 18psi with the increased rev limiter to 13,999rpm. Add stage 2 gears and you have another 35-40+whp, add some drop in cams and you have exceeded the H2R.

The R does comes restricted as shown, and is incredibly rich. Gotta keep it safe so the owners don't blow their 55k+ bike at the track.

·
Registered
702 Posts
H2R cams also allow more boost. So the H2R is making 24psi vs the H2's stock 15-16psi with the factory rev limit, and 18psi with the increased rev limiter to 13,999rpm. Add stage 2 gears and you have another 35-40+whp, add some drop in cams and you have exceeded the H2R.

The R does comes restricted as shown, and is incredibly rich. Gotta keep it safe so the owners don't blow their 55k+ bike at the track.

I've seen the ignition timing map for the H2R and it is very radical compared to the H2. Lots of horsepower there too.

·
Registered
702 Posts

I've seen the ignition timing map for the H2R and it is very radical compared to the H2. Lots of horsepower there too.
Runs also should be conducted on the same day and under similar weather conditions. Out by me during this time of year temps fluctuate more than 30*F from morning to afternoon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, as said, always some variation. Even same bike on same dyno a few minutes apart some variation, and more variation day to day. So I said "about" regarding that pretty huge same-dyno difference between tuned H2 with Vandemon and tuned H2R.

Certainly wasn't saying exactly a 52 hp difference to be expected every time between a tuned H2 with Vandemon and tuned H2R. On different pairs of days, probably somewhat different spreads between them. But as we just don't have that many occasions of tuned H2 vs tuned H2R on the same dyno, and maybe with reasonably similar weather as blackzook didn't seem to consider the weather difference big enough to mention (would be nice to know, though) I'll enjoy and try to learn from the information I can get. I appreciated the report.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, as said, always some variation. Even same bike on same dyno a few minutes apart some variation, and more variation day to day. So I said "about" regarding that pretty huge same-dyno difference between tuned H2 with Vandemon and tuned H2R.

Certainly wasn't saying exactly a 52 hp difference to be expected every time between a tuned H2 with Vandemon and tuned H2R. On different pairs of days, probably somewhat different spreads between them. But as we just don't have that many occasions of tuned H2 vs tuned H2R on the same dyno, and maybe with reasonably similar weather as blackzook didn't seem to consider the weather difference big enough to mention (would be nice to know, though) I'll enjoy and try to learn from the information I can get. I appreciated the report.

From memory the weather was similar on both days and both were done in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Shitty commuter bike
Can you remember what changes were made by the tuner to your mate's H2R?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Manufacturers pretty much and maybe absolutely never claim rear wheel horsepower, but rather crankshaft hp.

Further, typically the fact that they found this power -- here 310 hp if I recall correctly -- at a given point in introduction does not mean that they'll come back later and announce a different figure.

I'm not saying I agree with the practice of a pre-production bike testing at X hp and then later after restrictions are added (which people can derestrict) and not coming out with the new hp figure, but it's typical.

Checking the current specs, https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-H2R Kawasaki is not making a hp claim.

From 280 hp at the rear wheel after tuning, it's plausible there was 310 at the crank when the bike was developed and let's say not restricted yet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
As a general rule manufacturers quote 'crank' HP figures as they are some way higher than 'rear wheel' figures. After all a S1000RR with a claimed 200bhp will probably sell better than a S1000RR with 185bhp.......

The EU 'Gentleman's Agreement' between the major manufacturers meant that there was a voluntary '200bhp' limit for road bikes. For some time 1000cc superbikes were struggling to achieve that, even based upon crank measurement. Now most of them are there or thereabouts with some pushing over 210bhp (Ducati SuperLeggera for example).

I'm not aware of whether there was ever any formal agreement on how the 200bhp 'limit' would be measured - typically it has always been a crank figure but I suspect Kawasaki are going with a rear wheel figure for the H2 - hence the big differences on a dyno between a '200 bhp' H2 and a '200 bhp' S1000RR - crank vs rear wheel differences.

It's always possible that the H2R 310 bhp claim is based on the higher 'crank' figure whilst the H2 is a rear wheel figure. A bit like comparing an apple with a pear ..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts