Ninja H2 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Stock figures. A friend has an H2R, I think it gave something around 260 rwhp when we ran it on the dyno.

Kawasaki and the motorcycling press talk of 300 but I doubt it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is it just the
Bigger cams
Second air Intake
exhaust (can be added to h2 easy)
Stock h2r ecu less restricted (flash can duplicate)

That’s different for it to get 260whrp

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've seen figures quoted anywhere between 230 and 270, so take your pick

One thing for sure is I aint seen any 300+ bog standard

Rob

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Is it just the
Bigger cams
Second air Intake

Derestricting a normal H2 and raising the rev limit to match that of the H2R gets an H2 most of the way to where an H2R is stock, in terms of power output. The differing camshafts and exhaust system are most of the rest.

These derestrictions will not address the tendency of these engines to run too hot, to the point of potential meltdown, if run too hard for too long. Duplicating the H2R has not been the path of choice for those who have hot-rodded these. For example, I would consider intercooling to be essential if your planned usage of the bike calls for long periods of high power output. The H2R doesn't have one, nor does it have sped-up supercharger gearing.

Bear in mind that the H2R engine has different service requirements ... including mandatory periodic engine overhauls!

I don't have an intercooler on mine, because on the public roads around here, using a good part of the H2's power output for any length of time (enough to cause concern with intake-air-temp) is not viable ...

·
Registered
587 Posts
H2r stock on a dynojet 250i is 230-240whp! Makes about the same as a flashed H2 on the same dyno.

Kawasaki ran the stock h2rs very safe with running them incredibly rich in the upper rpms, and keeping the timing safe too. You can flash the H2R, bump up the timing a little and lean the AFR out. They will pick up another 30+whp and make 260-270whp. About the same as an H2 with stage 2 gears.

The rating of 300BHP or brake hp, which is supposed to be crank hp is highly over rated from Kawasaki!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't have an intercooler on mine, because on the public roads around here, using a good part of the H2's power output for any length of time (enough to cause concern with intake-air-temp) is not viable ...
I think this is a valid point, most of us H2 riders would fit in this bracket of use. I intend to take mine to the track a few times if I can at all help it this year, but even then on an average 20 min session I believe the H2 copes well with the temps. I rode on Phillip Island in November 2017 where there were about four to five 20 min session on 2 consecutive days without any problems, though I wasn't exactly keeping an eagle eye on the gauge temps!

Though it did burn up the left side of the rear in the first 20 minute session on the first day...with no spare tyre!...

Don.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is it just the
Bigger cams
Second air Intake

Derestricting a normal H2 and raising the rev limit to match that of the H2R gets an H2 most of the way to where an H2R is stock, in terms of power output. The differing camshafts and exhaust system are most of the rest.

These derestrictions will not address the tendency of these engines to run too hot, to the point of potential meltdown, if run too hard for too long. Duplicating the H2R has not been the path of choice for those who have hot-rodded these. For example, I would consider intercooling to be essential if your planned usage of the bike calls for long periods of high power output. The H2R doesn't have one, nor does it have sped-up supercharger gearing.

Bear in mind that the H2R engine has different service requirements ... including mandatory periodic engine overhauls!

Yea service intervals are no joke.
I definitely want to keep that around stock intervals.
More importantly is boost temps.
I wonder if in stock stock form if boost temps are even an issue.
And if a taller gearing would help Alleviate this issue

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I rode on Phillip Island in November 2017 ...
I'm doing Phillip Island in early Nov 2019! (On a rental BMW S1000R) https://leodescapes.com/motorcycle-tour-australia-ride-phillip-island.html

In stock form, when ridden with any level of driver's license preservation in mind, boost temp is not an issue.

If somehow you manage to operate at high revs high load for an extended period of time in hot weather, it can be an issue even in stock form. I've never managed the level of lunacy required on public roads to do this. Quarter-mile drag racing is totally a non-issue for boost temp. The folks doing really long land-speed racing events, or something of that sort, or track-riding events on tracks that have really long straightaways, report that the boost temp will get up there.

Taller gearing can help (by reducing boost pressure!) but not if it simply results in you selecting a lower gear in the transmission. And if you speed up the supercharger gears ... so much for that approach!

Basically the stock power rating is an "intermittent" rating. It will not operate at that power rating "continuously".

If you envision a usage pattern that approaches "continuous" rated power output then I'd suggest that an intercooler be your first serious mod.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm doing Phillip Island in early Nov 2019! (On a rental BMW S1000R) https://leodescapes.com/motorcycle-tour-australia-ride-phillip-island.html
You'll love the track if you haven't done it before! It's big, sweepy & very fast!! Very hard on the left side.

Let me know when exactly it is, as I'm trying to do more track days this year, have done several Phillip Island track days over the years - but usually two consecutive days, once a year. Plan to remedy that to more days.

Would be good to catch up with another H2 owner (only a few here I've seen in Sth Aust on the road and only one on track. There is another S.Aust bloke with a H2R who does regular California Superbike Schools at P.I.

Don.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I rode on Phillip Island in November 2017 ...

In stock form, when ridden with any level of driver's license preservation in mind, boost temp is not an issue.

If somehow you manage to operate at high revs high load for an extended period of time in hot weather, it can be an issue even in stock form. I've never managed the level of lunacy required on public roads to do this. Quarter-mile drag racing is totally a non-issue for boost temp. The folks doing really long land-speed racing events, or something of that sort, or track-riding events on tracks that have really long straightaways, report that the boost temp will get up there.

Taller gearing can help (by reducing boost pressure!) but not if it simply results in you selecting a lower gear in the transmission. And if you speed up the supercharger gears ... so much for that approach!

Basically the stock power rating is an "intermittent" rating. It will not operate at that power rating "continuously".

If you envision a usage pattern that approaches "continuous" rated power output then I'd suggest that an intercooler be your first serious mod.
Yea plan on doing some racing just like other bikes in lineup.
I’ve Been trying to avoid intercooler decisions cuz of warranty issues.
Getting the 2019 model. So maybe they fixed some issues and might not need it if I stick to flash tune filter exhaust.
Might do gearing taller -2REar if wheelie are a problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Also most guys here that are reporting the heat problems have done the gears and that’s 100% confirmed (as u said as well) to insure massive heat problems uptop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts