Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H2R and recently took it out for a track day at the Thunderhill long track in California. I ran the bike in and it was fast.

However, on this technical track, I had an issue with the throttle response. I am an experienced road racer, and like a progressive throttle response to turn the bike and roll on at high lean angles.

I ran the bike with traction control level #2 (not sure if that makes any difference) and rolling on the throttle very gently produced nothing then a jolt as the engine picked up. Tough to run smooth quick lines.

I am used to high powered bikes on race tracks, I race a 150hp TZ750 and have taken a ZX10 and 1198S on track days, this is not a power issue.

Any thoughts or ideas? Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't taken my H2 to the track yet,reason being is as others have mentioned the throttle is quite snatchy.I however haven't experienced no power then a jolt of power.It has always been right there on tap.I also run my traction control on 2. I found it less snatchy with engine braking off,i have also added fibre washers between the bar ends and the throttle to slightly slow throttle response so if I hit a small bump it is more controllable.The track I have done heaps of times in Australia is a small one at Broadford it is technical and until I have the throttle control how I want it I wont be going there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have an H2R and recently took it out for a track day at the Thunderhill long track in California. I ran the bike in and it was fast.

However, on this technical track, I had an issue with the throttle response. I am an experienced road racer, and like a progressive throttle response to turn the bike and roll on at high lean angles.

I ran the bike with traction control level #2 (not sure if that makes any difference) and rolling on the throttle very gently produced nothing then a jolt as the engine picked up. Tough to run smooth quick lines.

I am used to high powered bikes on race tracks, I race a 150hp TZ750 and have taken a ZX10 and 1198S on track days, this is not a power issue.

Any thoughts or ideas? Dave
Dave I agree with what your saying 100%. Love these bikes but the throttle return spring is way too soft and the first 1/4" of turn produces nothing then she goes. I had my (H2) ECU flashed and Don Guhl is able to help with this... After my bike was de restricted and tuned with full system and no cat it was very hard to be able to drag a knee because you were always worried she my slip out and high side if you hit a bump on the track or road because it was so twitchy. I was told by Don that Kawasaki has different throttle maps in the first two gears vs. the last five. The first two being less aggressive because of the power they make down low. So I had Don make all my maps the same in every gear and it's way better! Much more fun to ride this way for sure with no loss of power what so ever. If your seeing in in first and second also he can just plug in a smaller percentage there also to make it less aggressive. It works for sure.....so much that when I first got her back I was like WTH she doesn't rip like she used to was my first impression BUT after riding her more and more I was totally off base and just didn't realize all I had to do was twist the throttle more...... It may be something to look into. Hope it helps.

Reactions: shotgun15

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"i have also added fibre washers between the bar ends and the throttle to slightly slow throttle response so if I hit a small bump it is more controllable".

This works very well...very simple.As for 1/4 turn to get throttle...that sounds not so good.I dialed my throttle play in so it has almost no play.No more twichiness or lag.

I know adding a washer definitely helps to be able to feed in throttle smoothly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
"i have also added fibre washers between the bar ends and the throttle to slightly slow throttle response so if I hit a small bump it is more controllable".

This works very well...very simple.As for 1/4 turn to get throttle...that sounds not so good.I dialed my throttle play in so it has almost no play.No more twichiness or lag.

I know adding a washer definitely helps to be able to feed in throttle smoothly.
yes, the original setting of the throttle had much play

·
Registered
867 Posts
There is no play in mine it's just there is no feel to this throttle. Because of the ride by wire. My ZX10R has the best throttle I've ridden so far. Crisp and very linear with a very strong return spring. On the H2 the spring is very whimpy. And with the bike sitting there idling when you crack the throttle she just doesn't feel right because of the ride by wire. It doesn't feel right till you get about 6,000....
Just my opinion......

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"There is no play in mine it's just there is no feel to this throttle. Because of the ride by wire"..interesting.If I take the washer out and ride with it like that...it feels pretty sensitive...if that's what you mean by 'feel'.Feels like my 14,but twitchier.I guess I don't really know WHAT various throttles should feel like.This return spring thing that's mentioned...mine pops right back when I let off(in the factory config).Snappy.What SHOULD it feel like.?????

·
Registered
587 Posts
It def doesnt snap back like my 10r or like any of the other new bikes.. The bmw has the closest to h2 for that. The r1 added a spring just for "feel"

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you look at the shape of the power curve it's near vertical just where it comes up off of tick over, then it flattens out and is linear right up to the roll off at peak power.

It's this which gives the throttle a response like an on/off switch. My bike is worse after a flash and remap because this happens at lower revs than stock. It's a bit like a 2-stroke power band. I drag the rear brake a little into the apex and find it easier to control, not a complete answer, that would be a re-map, but it helps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Your description sounds more like a hesitation than a twitchy throttle. At #2 the KTRC may just be too high and interfering. You have the experience why not try it on #1 or off completely and see if it makes a difference? If not I also remember that Don can make the throttle more progressive with a tune.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it was traction control the dash light flashes and u can here it cut in,sort of like a rev limiter.Dont think that is his problem from what he is saying.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah the spring in my ZX10R is a heavier pull so it takes a little more to twist but I like that and when she snaps back it really closes hard. the H2 is sensitive but the disconnect I'm talking about is from idle to just starting to twist it. like when your pulling away from a stop light. the first slight twist doesn't seem connected to the throttle blades.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I have a track day scheduled for the 19th when I am back from the Manx.

I noticed some free play in the cables and have taken this out and I will also play with the TC mode settings. Now I sneeze and the rev rise.

At the end of the day, I think the suggestion to remap the throttle progression is the ultimate answer. I am glad their are actually resources that can do this.

Dave

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
To you guys getting a 'surge' in your riding....that still happening?I tried to see yesterday IF mine was doing this...at any time.It wasn't.I still think it's possible the touchiness of the throttle MAY be causing this to happen even though one may think they're keeping the throttle solid.Like I mentioned before...I snugged up the throttle tube against the bar end...although this stops the grip from closing unhindered,it really allows throttle to be fed in smoothly and reliably.And she doesn't take off everytime I hit a road bump or something.I have mine set so I can actually REMOVE my throttle hand and ride with it staying in one spot nicely.For a good mile at least.My shoulder and neck pain have disappeared ever since I did this.It allows me to get my weight off the bars...I mean totally.And move my arms and all.This works great for me...but probably few would want the throttle being set like that.I'm totally used to the feel now.It still moves nicely just taking off and all.
I can feed in throttle when leaned in,and it's VERY smooth.I can't detect any fueling issues at all.From idle all the way up and cruising.This deal also changed the way the QS is shifting.It's become very smooth and snickish.Very nice.

What an awesome machine we have...this thing just purrs like a lion...finally got my suspension setup where it really feels smooth and non-jarring.Just great.Love this bike.Lowered the tire pressures as well...to about 38 cold.This seemed to soften her just a bit also.I went riding after I installed new tires...they set it at 41 PSI.After about an hour of riding,I rechecked the pressures.They were sitting at 50PSI....WAY too much.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
...I snugged up the throttle tube against the bar end...although this stops the grip from closing unhindered,it really allows throttle to be fed in smoothly and reliably.And she doesn't take off everytime I hit a road bump or something.I have mine set so I can actually REMOVE my throttle hand and ride with it staying in one spot nicely.For a good mile at least.My shoulder and neck pain have disappeared ever since I did this.It allows me to get my weight off the bars...I mean totally.And move my arms and all.This works great for me...but probably few would want the throttle being set like that.I'm totally used to the feel now.It still moves nicely just taking off and all.
Not sure I would like that much friction on the twist grip. The throttle closing when you let it go is a safety feature and here in the UK not closing would be an MOT failure. After a thousand miles I've got used to it, I just recalibrate my brain whenever I swing a leg over the H2.

I think the solution should be a software update from Kawasaki but I'm fairly sure most dealers are not equipped to do this, unlike with Ducati for example.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure I would like that much friction on the twist grip. The throttle closing when you let it go is a safety feature and here in the UK not closing would be an MOT failure. After a thousand miles I've got used to it, I just recalibrate my brain whenever I swing a leg over the H2.

I think the solution should be a software update from Kawasaki but I'm fairly sure most dealers are not equipped to do this, unlike with Ducati for example.
If KTM can do it, Kawasaki can do it... plug the jump drive in and pour yourself a cuppa...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"The throttle closing when you let it go is a safety feature"...I don't let off;)Not really...I do.But it's very easy to back out.Long as she has the vehicle down sensor...I'm cool.Hope I never have to use it!

It's not so tight I can't operate the throttle in small or larger increments.It's very doable.Sure makes adding and subtracting throttle at various situations smoother...tell ya that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts