Ninja H2 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I drove interstate (2000 km round trip) last weekend in the work van to pick up a H2R.

my god, it's so sexy.

I've been a Kawa guy all my riding life, lots of old Z9's and Z1's ever a Zephyr at one point and my current street ride is a "modern" 2006 Z1000. Even drag raced a car tyred 1428cc on N2O that looked like a GPz900 but was Z9 motored. All great fun.

Like most here I watched months of Kawasaki teasers and when it was finally released thought, I can't justify that... ever. But as luck has it, things change and as I head towards 50 next year (and have had way too many friends fall off the perch in their 50's) I hit on the idea I want to give the salt a go on 300hp factory "toy" and I'm going to ride my superannuation!

The bike was second-hand but has just 6km on it, so not run in yet, slicks still have the writing on them!

I picked up oil and filter today and will head to Philip Island in 3 weeks to run it in then have some fun on the track before getting it ready for the salt in March.

It's killing me not riding it up the street but I'm trying to be strong. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where's the pic's ! Never get tired of pickup pics lol especially H2Rs did you get a 15 or 16? I can't say I've seen many pictures of the 16 h2rs I have seen a couple 15 H2Rs in person

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My new baby is a 2015 with less than 4 miles on it.

Pictures? I don't have many yet.

The first H2R that I touched was not that far from you earlier this year.
Barber Motorsports Museum in Alamaba is like spending a day in heaven. Walk in the door and your jaw falls to the ground and stays there all day. Pretty much everything I've ever owned or wanted to own is there, a great day out for any bike nuts.

Pics of mine below,

1: In the work van after picking it up (4 new tie-downs) and it didn't move an inch in 1000km... and after an hour or two driving I stopped reaching behind my seat to see if it moved.

2: In the "play room" at home. Living on carpet like all H2's should be (who was the guy here in the forums with a H2 living in the yard with a cat sitting on it... shudder)

I'll get some better pics in a couple of weeks when I take it to the track for a run-in and 1st oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So took it to Phillip Island to do a track day on Sunday.

Kawasaki run-in process:

1st session - under 4000 rpm
That was torture... 100kmh (60mph) was a tourist drive around the fastest racetrack in Australia, I was getting lapped by everything on track 3 or 4 times in the session.

2nd session - under 8000 rpm
Much more fun. New bike, not familiar with it and 8k is enough to make some smiles. I had the traction control still set to 3 and the light came on at the apex of every corner. 8000 rpm was fun everywhere except Garner Straight where I would see 8k about 100 meters out of turn 12 and sit there for the length of the straight.

Dropped the oil and changed the oil filter. The oil had the run-in metallic sheen and looking like a gold-panner scrounging through the drain tub I found half a dozen flakes of alloy in the bottom of the pan when I tipped it into the recycling drum. Nothing scary, just what you would expect to see if you run-in a new motor.

Added 4.4 liters of Motul V300 - 15w/50 (higher temp of the trip to the salt), torqued the bolts and it was ready to go.

Way more fun without a 8000 rpm limit for the next sessions, I set the traction control to 2 and hardly noticed it come on... when it did it was protecting me from myself.

Lap times were pretty slow (me not the bike) as it was it's first day out, I really don't know the bike and I didn't want to toss it away but it really is a beast to ride.

Torque on tap, any gear, anytime, anywhere.

I think you could nearly ride it like an auto in 5th or 6th gear and have enough pull that you never feel the need to kick it down.

Blinding acceleration after 8 or 9k and I was wary of getting it closer to vertical before winding it on but I think it would have handled it fine, those factory slicks were like running on rails and it never turned a tyre or felt like I was anywhere near the limit of the bike.

I didn't get it up to red-line but prob saw a few 12,000+ odd shifts on the straight... had plenty of gears and torque to not need more RPM anywhere and the feel of it trying to peel you off it's back is insane.

My son filmed this 280kmh fly-by on his phone...

...lazy roll off after the bridge and catch my breath before tipping into turn 1 at 160kmh without braking. It takes a couple of corners to get over what just happened on the straight before getting back in the groove.

A couple of pics too...

I can only imagine what this bike would be like if you were
a: not scared to toss it into the kitty-litter.
b: had enough time on it to find some limits.

It was an awesome day out and now it's run-in I can start getting it ready for the salt in the new year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for sharing it all man looks like you had a blast I hope one day I can obtain the beast of an H2 R to place along side my H2 but your description is all to familiar of riding an H2 on the street as my daily lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
So took it to Phillip Island to do a track day on Sunday.

Kawasaki run-in process:

1st session - under 4000 rpm
That was torture... 100kmh (60mph) was a tourist drive around the fastest racetrack in Australia, I was getting lapped by everything on track 3 or 4 times in the session.

2nd session - under 8000 rpm
Much more fun. New bike, not familiar with it and 8k is enough to make some smiles. I had the traction control still set to 3 and the light came on at the apex of every corner. 8000 rpm was fun everywhere except Garner Straight where I would see 8k about 100 meters out of turn 12 and sit there for the length of the straight.

Dropped the oil and changed the oil filter. The oil had the run-in metallic sheen and looking like a gold-panner scrounging through the drain tub I found half a dozen flakes of alloy in the bottom of the pan when I tipped it into the recycling drum. Nothing scary, just what you would expect to see if you run-in a new motor.

Added 4.4 liters of Motul V300 - 15w/50 (higher temp of the trip to the salt), torqued the bolts and it was ready to go.

Way more fun without a 8000 rpm limit for the next sessions, I set the traction control to 2 and hardly noticed it come on... when it did it was protecting me from myself.

Lap times were pretty slow (me not the bike) as it was it's first day out, I really don't know the bike and I didn't want to toss it away but it really is a beast to ride.

Torque on tap, any gear, anytime, anywhere.

I think you could nearly ride it like an auto in 5th or 6th gear and have enough pull that you never feel the need to kick it down.

Blinding acceleration after 8 or 9k and I was wary of getting it closer to vertical before winding it on but I think it would have handled it fine, those factory slicks were like running on rails and it never turned a tyre or felt like I was anywhere near the limit of the bike.

I didn't get it up to red-line but prob saw a few 12,000+ odd shifts on the straight... had plenty of gears and torque to not need more RPM anywhere and the feel of it trying to peel you off it's back is insane.

My son filmed this 280kmh fly-by on his phone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUFyLfkPI8

...lazy roll off after the bridge and catch my breath before tipping into turn 1 at 160kmh without braking. It takes a couple of corners to get over what just happened on the straight before getting back in the groove.

A couple of pics too...

I can only imagine what this bike would be like if you were
a: not scared to toss it into the kitty-litter.
b: had enough time on it to find some limits.

It was an awesome day out and now it's run-in I can start getting it ready for the salt in the new year.
Hey mate how's the H2R going? Is the bike everything you expected it to be?
Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures...
Regards Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G'day Jeffro,

yeah it's everything I expected it to be... and some more.

We all knew this was going to be weapon but the handling of the H2R blew me away. Kawasaki have always built high power bikes but many were straight-line rockets and often on the heavy side, the H2R stops and goes around corners and feels surprisingly light and nearly nimble just before it peels your eyelids wide open as you roll-on at the apex.

I think the sheer amount of horsepower and torque helps the handling, you can be in the wrong gear and it will pull through anything without feeling like a lump. In fact, I recon you could put this into 4th or 5th gear and just ride it like an auto all day!

The only downside is unlike the road going H2, I can't throw a leg every day but maybe that just makes riding this more special. The sound of it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand-up... everytime.

It's nearly ready for my first trip to the salt and I'm getting pretty excited to see how it goes. Hopefully traction isn't too big a problem and we can run some reasonable numbers.

If you are considering one and can justify the spend then go for it, there is nothing I don't love about this bike.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Salt looks damp at the moment, hope for a few dry weeks to improve the traction, or its just going to be sloppy and dripping of evereywhere
https://landsatlook.usgs.gov/viewer.html, shows infra red sat pics of the lake if you set the location to" lake Gairdiner South Australia, Australia"
We run on the lower left arm, 2 distinctive islands are left of the long track and the short track runs toward the most left (west) island
our entry is on lower right where a rockey outcrop spoils the straight line along the edge
track start line is west of that about 1/5-1/4 of the way across
Dark blue is water , lighter shades the moisture in the salt
If you use the date scale to compare Dec 14 to current 14 jan 17 you can see the colour of fairly dry salt

Oh and the streaky bits are wind blown surface water ,

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, great resource thanks OzBooster. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

I'm optimistic that it will dry out some more, there seems a big difference between mid December and mid Jan so hopefully mid Feb looks better again!

·
Registered
376 Posts
G'day Jeffro,

yeah it's everything I expected it to be... and some more.

We all knew this was going to be weapon but the handling of the H2R blew me away. Kawasaki have always built high power bikes but many were straight-line rockets and often on the heavy side, the H2R stops and goes around corners and feels surprisingly light and nearly nimble just before it peels your eyelids wide open as you roll-on at the apex.

I think the sheer amount of horsepower and torque helps the handling, you can be in the wrong gear and it will pull through anything without feeling like a lump. In fact, I recon you could put this into 4th or 5th gear and just ride it like an auto all day!

The only downside is unlike the road going H2, I can't throw a leg every day but maybe that just makes riding this more special. The sound of it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand-up... everytime.

It's nearly ready for my first trip to the salt and I'm getting pretty excited to see how it goes. Hopefully traction isn't too big a problem and we can run some reasonable numbers.

If you are considering one and can justify the spend then go for it, there is nothing I don't love about this bike.
Ayjef,
Yeh sounds the goods alright, it looks very nice indeed, must be quite a feeling having such a weapon!
As for me I am extremely happy with my road version I can only dream what the H2R would have to offer. Unfortunately I really had to stretch even to buy my H2, for me the H2R is not an option. However I feel extremely lucky to have my toy, I absolutely love it - what a bike! :)
Yes I would think that not being able to ride (the H2R) it often would ensure
sheer enjoyment when you did! Have you only tracked and used it only once?
Hope all goes well with your salt exploits, please keep us updated with those happenings :D
Regards cobber
Jeffro ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts