Ninja H2 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what's needed to get the h2r intake on our h2? I imagine the h2r upper fairing and the pipe that goes to the charger, wonder what else:!

·
Registered
265 Posts
So, what's needed to get the h2r intake on our h2? I imagine the h2r upper fairing and the pipe that goes to the charger, wonder what else:!
Upper fairing, complete air duct assembly, air filter case and a lot of other minor things, and of course you will lose the lights. Ah, I forgot. You will need also 200-300 fifty quid notes :D

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
The headlight assembly is in the way. The aftermarket isn't any better at making two chunks of metal and plastic share space with each other than Kawasaki is!

(I work with automation equipment ... There are plenty of variations of "Either you change the shape of that fence now, or that robot carrying that chunk of steel over there is going to change the shape of that fence later"!)

·
Registered
891 Posts
£15,000?? Really?
yeah when we started my build my guy wanted to see how close he could get to the 300hp number so he looked into buying R parts, and then informed me that Kawi has WAY over-inflated the prices on all R parts to keep mechanics like him from converting the H2 to an H2R, making cost prohibitive. So that's why the parts are so expensive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was planning to organize aftermarket H2R parts... but today after all... I decided that no one will put a my finger on my bikes anymore to give the world aftermarket parts and to deliver me a scratched bike!
Sure there will be a "(activmoto)" H2R front/intake option but this project is like the wing thing...
Quality and price...

But this transformer face is that what everyone wants right?
So activmoto hear this wishes, please do your awesome work again

The filter is the smallest problem!
The Headlight has to go
and the rest is only buy and build

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There is probably some benefit to the larger OEM H2R air filter vs the H2's OEM filter/set up but if you increase airflow w/ a higher flow filter does anyone really know if there is any benefit to an H2R type set up?

The calculation had been done for what's necessary in cowl inlet opening size for well over 300hp & the H2's nostril inlet is plenty large enough. The size of the impeller housing of the H2 & the H2R's is identical, all the air has to pass/pull through that same sized area.

Tests have shown a pick up of 7rwhp going from an OEM H2 filter to high flow DNA & it's been tested that removing a high flow filter & dyno'ing without any filter didn't see any measurable gains. You could pick up some from ram air but again the size of the impeller housing is identical.

The H2R wasn't going to manufactured with a headlight so perhaps the reasoning for the larger air filter wasnt really about significant gains but minor gains & IF compared to an H2 higher flow filter perhaps the gains are minimal. Without the need for a headlight why not use the area for a small increase in bhp instead of just blocking off the right nostril like the H2.

Even if the bikes aren't putting down the claimed bhp due to an overlay rich AFR; Kawi claims 310bhp for the H2R/326bhp with ram air (at maximum effect). H2 - 200 crank hp/210 w/ ram air.

So Kawi claims ram air is good for 16bhp on the H2R vs. 10bhp on the H2 so only a 6bhp peak bhp difference... A DNA high flow filter on a Brocks/Guhl Stage II H2 is good for 7 RWHP on the dyno w/ out ram air. And we know the H2's filter box/ram air tube connection/area doesn't look efficient, perhaps that's a bottle neck.

So what happens is you compare apples to apples & installed a high flow air filter in the H2R, maybe you would pick up even more performance? Well, probably no. The OEM H2R race air filter isn't as restrictive as the wet paper H2's filter made for maximum filtration at the expense of air flow; DNA's H2R filter there is only a 3% increase in air flow vs the H2R's OEM filter (235,50 cfm vs. 229,40) ...DNA's filter for the H2 there a 40% increase in air flow.... Point being the H2R's 16 increase in bhp w/ ram air vs the H2's 10bhp ram air increase,, a lot of the difference could be because of the less restrictive H2R's OEM filter... Think there's probably more to gain for pennies on the dollar to change out the H2's air filter than trying to install the H2R's set up.

Dunno, just rambling a bit & speculating but until I see data proving otherwise I'm just not sold on the idea that a Stage II/high flow filter H2 will benefit in a major way from an H2R type cowl/ front air box/ filter & the priority should be improving the connection & flow of where the H2's ram air tube meets the filter box.. Instead of the 90 degree turn along w/ the reduction of opening size in the ram air tube at the box & restriction of the smaller filter box size opening & mounting post that's in the way; if someone developed a one piece CF ram air tube/filter box eliminating the outer filter box so the larger opening ram air tube connected to the inner filter box w/ the ram air tube opening as large as the filter & it was shaped so air could flow more smoothly into the filter/impeller housing, that would be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
^ I believe you are correct ... The "issue" with the H2, if there is one, is the small size of the air filter element and the somewhat dirty shape of the path that the air has to go through near the supercharger inlet, not the use of both front nostrils for airflow. Moving the air filter up front allowed it to be bigger and allowed cleaning up the path of the air near the supercharger inlet since that area no longer needed an air filter inside it. If an aftermarket air filter cuts down the restriction at the price of reduced filtration ... that's a tradeoff an individual owner can decide for themselves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts