Ninja H2 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike runs fine on an 80F day if not used hard. 150F coolant

If i get on it and red line it thru the higher gears the temps gradually go up to 230F little by little.

Fans are both running and blowing air that is the same temp.

When i stop the bike it is dripping occasional drips of coolant from the bottom of the right fairing.

This is the second time this has happened in two rides in a row.

After the first time ....I drained all the coolant and installed a new metal pipe on the right side and rad hose then burped the system and refilled the rad.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Overfilled?

"Fans are both running and blowing air that is the same temp"....I think it's not so much they're 'blowing' the same air...they're actually pulling the air through the rad.You're gonna feel the same temp coming off the rad.(through the fan discharge).Nothing to worry about.Long as they're coming on...they're doing their job!

How about your reservoir level?Could be too high?Not allowing coolant to circulate back and forth Rad to res?

Find out exactly WHERE that coolant is coming from.Possibly the small return/transfer line is not secure enough at the Rad filler cap?Check also that cap.It can feel 'closed' when it's actually NOT all the way tight.Secure it down,then turn firmly till it just won't go any further.Usually a 1/4 turn or so.

Did this happen the day you opened up the rad cap?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overfilled?

"Fans are both running and blowing air that is the same temp"....I think it's not so much they're 'blowing' the same air...they're actually pulling the air through the rad.You're gonna feel the same temp coming off the rad.(through the fan discharge).Nothing to worry about.Long as they're coming on...they're doing their job!

How about your reservoir level?Could be too high?Not allowing coolant to circulate back and forth Rad to res?

Find out exactly WHERE that coolant is coming from.Possibly the small return/transfer line is not secure enough at the Rad filler cap?Check also that cap.It can feel 'closed' when it's actually NOT all the way tight.Secure it down,then turn firmly till it just won't go any further.Usually a 1/4 turn or so.

Did this happen the day you opened up the rad cap?
I made sure the coolant level was no higher than full, i also properly tightened the radiator cap multiple times.

I use a zip tie for the small rubber return line.

BTW i had none of these issue prior to upgrading to the stage 2 SC gears! Could be a coincidence?

Thx for the feedback!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Did this happen the day you opened up the rad cap?"

yes i topped it off this am after running it to 200F yesterday after the burp process. Is that bad?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"I made sure the coolant level was no higher than full"...this could be the prob.It should be sitting between the upper and lower fill marks.NOT full.

You should fill the rad all the way....but the res,halfway.If it's 'full',the heated coolant has no where to go,so it overflows.This should be checked when the engine is cooled down.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check the radiator is still full, maybe it needed more burp ? also clean the cap and be sure both sealing surfaces have good contact
any staining to indicate where the drips are coming from? or is it the reservoir level overfull when hot

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The overflow tube for the res is along the right side there.I'd check at the filler neck first off..just to make sure it's not escaping from the rad.And those fittings.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The overflow tube for the res is along the right side there.I'd check at the filler neck first off..just to make sure it's not escaping from the rad.And those fittings.
yes i use a zip tie perhaps i need a metal clip?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the radiator is still full, maybe it needed more burp ? also clean the cap and be sure both sealing surfaces have good contact
any staining to indicate where the drips are coming from? or is it the reservoir level overfull when hot
The first time this happened the reservoir was overfull, and the radiator was low, so i burped the system, topped off the radiator, burped the system again and drain the reservoir to the full level.

It sounds like since adding the stage 2 gears the extra heat is causing the radiator to over tax the cooling system / and fasteners?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"yes i use a zip tie perhaps i need a metal clip?"..any reason you're NOT going with a factory clip?

"or is it the reservoir level overfull when hot"...I think this is what's going on.The gearing MAY create a bit more heat...but a half full reservoir SHOULD allow a transfer without overfilling when it's doing that.If your reservoir is at the full end,you're too full.Halfway.This should solve it.

Owner's Manual says..pg 144...HALFWAY with cold motor.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Remember, if the cooling system won't pressurize (a leak or bad cap etc) the boiling point of the fluid lowers and can cause the temps to sky rocket. The lower the pressure the lower the boiling point. Boiling fluid is really bad thing. So if you are seeing what are recurring needs to burp it is probably the system leaking and the fluid boiling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine had a bad cap .... also the fluid always shows low when the bike is cold ... when it’s hot it shows correctly ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts