Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the Kawasaki H2 has all the ingredients required to make "cult bike " , "classic collectible bike" status in the future .
In my 38 years of owning and riding bikes I seem to have an uncanny ability to pick winners , it's not just about buying the best , most expensive new bike as many quickly pass into relative obscurity .
Odd ball bikes, total failure bike also do well i.e. Hesketh V 100 or Bimota's V Due 500 although the latter has the added advantage of being a two stroke and any sporting stroker has seen big gains in the last few years .

Yamaha FS1Es are hitting £5,000 in the UK (GPV 779N ) where are you now ? ( you never forget your first love ) RD 250 and 350 LCs are still in high demand also . Let me give you an example, I was obsessed with the Honda CBX I've had around 15 examples including a Moto Martin and a Turbo that I still have along with a standard one , my brother liked the Suzuki GS 1000 and still owns one , both bikes were the best that each company could offer at the time but the CBX sells for almost three times the price of the GS 1000 .
The H2 being the first production supercharged bike along with its special paint and £22,000 launch cost and the Kawasaki hype will have had bikers that were 16 to 36 and unable to afford an H2 at the time being keen buyers in the future.
Am I always right ? No , I would have put my mortgage on the Kawasaki GPZ 900 being one of the most sort after bikes from the 1980s but they have done poorly considering they had so many" firsts " .

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeh,it will be eventually, going to be a few years though imo

I always viewed the H2 as a long term investment, it really needed a 1, or max 2 year run to be otherwise

Agree regarding some bikes, I could of had a 916 duke a few years back for silly money but duke reliability put me off, they are now going for real good money:crying:

Rob

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Classic status, I certainly hope so and especially the early 2015 bikes like mine with the green frame and the added provenance of being the first one through the 200 barrier with all the certificates and trophies too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Classic status, I certainly hope so and especially the early 2015 bikes like mine with the green frame and the added provenance of being the first one through the 200 barrier with all the certificates and trophies too.
The most sort after Yamaha LC is the first year " two striped " colour in either blue or red , the most sort after Z1 in the first year model with black painted engine and the same goes for the H1 and H2 " the triple with the ripple " it's poor handling first year H1 1969 model is more valuable than a H1 A of 1970 / 71 .

Shortcomings in first year models are overlooked and even become more attractive to future buyers .
The modern H2 is a little more complicated as I think I'm right in saying the 2018 is back to the green frame ? But the 2015 mirror paint (without glitter ) green frame, snappy throttle , heavy clutch original will always command a premium in the future .

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Supercharged is correct. The first year of the model, shortcomings and all is considered the classic. It is the concept, not the evolved product. The original paint (which I wish the 2018 had) will add to the legend, but in the end it is the supercharger that will take center stage.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don’t want to put a downer on this conversation and certainly not to the guys who are just ordering but to me it’s lost a little of it’s mystique now it’s in its 4th year of production.
There are way too many produced & Kawasaki said a lot off BS about its “ultra exclusivity” in its first year. Even a Sports Tourer wears the “River Mark” logo now, shows just how ultra exclusive that is!!
Rob is right, it will eventually hit classic status but may take years... Back in the day how many RC45’s were sold in comparison? less I suspect (but stand corrected if I’m wrong!) they are now making strong money but it’s 20+ years on.
Yes it’s still very special but the game has moved on and the guys buying 2018 models can’t ignore the fact that they’re essentially buying into a 4 year old design, an absolute lifetime in bike years?
I now sound like a traitor but being completely honest I’d be straight into a red V4, I wouldn’t think twice about an ageing H2 because it’s not the latest and greatest. look at the latest output from the Ducati V4, love them of hate them you have to respect the electronics, dash/display, suspension and sheer grunt it produces. Will they produce it virtually unchanged for 4 years plus? time will tell... It will never have the things I got from Kawasaki UK, the letter saying they would fulfil my order, the Ninja book or even the exquisite build quality BUT if I had my time again, right now, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
I still absolutely love my H2 but don’t see it as an investment unless I keep it for the next 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I would agree on the twenty year time scale, about the time it's taken the original R1 4XV model to start making good money especially if it's in the red and white paint .

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Don’t want to put a downer on this conversation and certainly not to the guys who are just ordering but to me it’s lost a little of it’s mystique now it’s in its 4th year of production.
There are way too many produced & Kawasaki said a lot off BS about its “ultra exclusivity” in its first year. Even a Sports Tourer wears the “River Mark” logo now, shows just how ultra exclusive that is!!
Rob is right, it will eventually hit classic status but may take years... Back in the day how many RC45’s were sold in comparison? less I suspect (but stand corrected if I’m wrong!) they are now making strong money but it’s 20+ years on.
Yes it’s still very special but the game has moved on and the guys buying 2018 models can’t ignore the fact that they’re essentially buying into a 4 year old design, an absolute lifetime in bike years?
I now sound like a traitor but being completely honest I’d be straight into a red V4, I wouldn’t think twice about an ageing H2 because it’s not the latest and greatest. look at the latest output from the Ducati V4, love them of hate them you have to respect the electronics, dash/display, suspension and sheer grunt it produces. Will they produce it virtually unchanged for 4 years plus? time will tell... It will never have the things I got from Kawasaki UK, the letter saying they would fulfil my order, the Ninja book or even the exquisite build quality BUT if I had my time again, right now, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
I still absolutely love my H2 but don’t see it as an investment unless I keep it for the next 20 years.

45 ) RVF 750s ( RC 45 )registered on U.K. roads and 18 ) RC 30s over 9 thousand R1s and around two hundred H2s (98 2015 models sold in U.K.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree the H2 will become some kind of classic in years to come. As far as commanding a high price to get one later, I couldn't care less as I have always bought bikes with personal use only in mind, never about resale value or future value.

I too would love to be able to afford a new Ducati V4, but the closest I may come would be a test ride (if available). Having said that I also know my own skill level as a rider, the H2 certainly tests and goes above that! A V4, would be nearly completely wasted on me (although would be fun trying to use it!). I would not give up the H2 for one though - it does all I could want and has that special attraction from others - even now I still get blokes wanting to take pics of it!

Good debating topic Supercharged!

Don.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Lest we forget. In most polls and articles the most iconic motorcycle is.... (drum roll)......(wait for it) .......the 1972 H2. Hardly an exclusive motorcycle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good point about the Red and White R1, I was never interested but would love one in the garage now. I think in 20 years time I’ll be into mobility scooters not bikes

·
Registered
502 Posts
45 ) RVF 750s ( RC 45 )registered on U.K. roads and 18 ) RC 30s over 9 thousand R1s and around two hundred H2s (98 2015 models sold in U.K.
I also believe its all a bit "hit and miss"

I just sold a ZXR750K, the homologated race version, way better as a "standard" race bike than the RC45 but going for nowhere near the money

I also have a SP1 (RC51) that has doubled in price since I purchased it but that is going to take many years before it gains cult price status

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
As in VTR1000 Rob? Cool bike, hang onto that mate, I’m pis#ed I sold my original blade in 2010, stupid decision.
I just got back from working in Middle East, saw mine (Parked in the house!) and love it again, the missus bought me a private plate while I was away! Forget all that shite I said about the Ducati V4

·
Registered
502 Posts
As in VTR1000 Rob? Cool bike, hang onto that mate, I’m pis#ed I sold my original blade in 2010, stupid decision.
I just got back from working in Middle East, saw mine (Parked in the house!) and love it again, the missus bought me a private plate while I was away! Forget all that shite I said about the Ducati V4
Yes Rich, that's the one

It's old, heavy as fook, slow by todays standards and drinks fuel more than I drink real ale, however, its a beautifully constructed machine with bags of character and V twin soundtrack

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes Rich, that's the one

It's old, heavy as fook, slow by todays standards and drinks fuel more than I drink real ale, however, its a beautifully constructed machine with bags of character and V twin soundtrack

Rob

I’m suitably jealous...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I’m suitably jealous...
Yours for 10K;)

Seriously, lovely bike, I had two of them last year, my road bike and a nice spec track bike, got shut of the track one though, too heavy for my old bones to slog around the circiuts

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder how well and H2 will hold up over that 20 years to reach cult classic status? Sure some collectors collect to park but many collect to drive. With the high precision parts required for operation my guess is the bike wont stand the test of time and be operational. Not thats those parts couldn’t be replaced, but if you are looking at the H2 as an investment you should probably invest in a spare motor.

For me personally, I am 31, love the H2 and plan to own one. But I will be buying the version thats updated when I can afford to buy one. I do think there will be some people 20years from now saying “you know i never got that H2 I always wanted, I wonder if there are any 2015-2017 models out there I could buy and ride?” I will own one long before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
...... Back in the day how many RC45’s were sold in comparison? less I suspect (but stand corrected if I’m wrong!) they are now making strong money but it’s 20+ years on.......
The RC30 and RC45 are certainly sought after. My friends at GT Performance Engineering have a healthy business making and sourcing hard-to-get parts for these bikes as well as the V-twins and 2-stroke racers. They are still regular entrants in the endurance and classic series and have a world-wide following. I feel quite sure that if Kawasaki keep the H2 in a niche market it will attain classic status. My 2015 H2 will be in a line-up of Kawasaki's at a local 2018 launch evening on 23rd March. I'm willing to bet it attracts it's fair share of attention. Here's Leon Haslam sat on it in 2016.

Performance Engineering

1 - 20 of 20 Posts