Ninja H2 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of hp gains are seen when adding a power commander to a bike that already has the basic bolt ons( flash, air filter, slip on exhaust/ with or with out cat?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
With just the flash my bike was making 209bhp, after adding a PCV and mapping it the power was raised to 220bhp. Everything else on the bike is untouched and stock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impressive, I thought there might be a couple of hp left on the table but 11 hp is a lot. What did you set up your a/f ratio at? thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it may be less of a gain if your flash already has fueling adjustments. If I recall Bob's flash didn't have any fueling changes so his AFRs may have been further off then yours if you have a flash with fueling changes. That being said, there is usually more to gain with a custom tune than a canned tune...assuming you have a competent tuner at your disposal.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Doing an ECU flash is good for what the intention is - to remove restrictions, raise redline, change timing etc. Unless you have your bike at Don's shop and are ready to make a few dyno runs, you cannot get a perfect tune on it. Also, the variables such as exhaust and intake are in play too. Don cannot be expected to have info for every pipe and filter combination. My bike picked up about 30 hp with the flash and later picked up 16 more with the PCV and a tune. The PCV required about three hours to allow for dyno runs, proper cooling and adjustments to the fueling. Going to a competent tuner is a must, ask around about their experience and results.

Reactions: Ryder

·
Registered
539 Posts
Finding other well established forums for asking about tuners will be a good idea, bikes with owners that have similar goals and requirements.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Guys what are you guys running for air / fuel ratios? Mine is under WOT around 12.1 / 12.2

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Guys what are you guys running for air / fuel ratios? Mine is under WOT around 12.1 / 12.2
I forgot to ask and the print-out supplied was just power/rpm. I know he spent time on it and said it needed richening at the top which surprised me. When I see him next I will ask. Hopefully around 12.5:1 / 13:1. He spends most of his time on 2-stroke NSR race bikes and appreciated the importance of stoichiometric ratio.

·
Registered
574 Posts

12.1 gave the best power on my bike with the engine combination, altitude, fuel, and temps - as their say "your results may vary".

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bob i hope your bike is richer than 12.5-13, forced induction has different needs to Na
Or at least tuned with some sort of detonation detection , monitering egt , and or experiance with ign timing and BMEP tuning

many bike guys know nothing other than aiming for a particular a/f ratio

·
Registered
38 Posts
Around 12.0 usually makes good power on boosted cars. On cars that's probably towards the leanest I would feel comfortable with (usually like to see closer to 11.5 for a safe tune)...not sure the limits on forced induction bikes.

I am somewhat curious why Brock's seems to perform better at significantly leaner AFRs than Ed found. If I remember correctly, I think the dyno chart with the prototype full system showed closer to 12.8 or so.

·
Registered
587 Posts
^Yes you are correct. Brocks chart shows N/A tuning AFRs. I thought for sure the bike should have been around 11.8-12.2 given it's forced induction and how hot the bike runs at WOT. I dunno

·
Registered
867 Posts
Guys mine runs at 12.1 and then up at 14 to 14,400 she richens up to 11.8 and the power drops off by 4hp. When I install the PCV I will lean her out just a little bit to get her to a steady 12.1 and see what happens....

Reactions: Boosted10R

·
Registered
38 Posts
Somefun,

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about the 4hp loss. You'll want more cooling up top if you're doing LSR style runs. If you beat on it often, I would stay toward the richer side. Keep in mind I've never tuned a forced induction bike so I may be way off.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah it wasn't so much the HP at to just make the dyno chart graph flow nice and steady....:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts