Ninja H2 banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So cool.What's your opinion on the wings?
they absolutely help create down force which helps keep the front end down, which is essential for high-speed cornering like I have at Willow Springs. We also raised the rear end 2mm and lowered the front end a few mm for this same reason. If you don't have weight on the front end then you can't keep heat in the tires during long sweeping turns. If you're on a track where you do a lot of hard braking then this is less of an issue because your are creating heat in the front tire that way.

Back to the wings, I'm taking them off for the LSR I'm doing next week because anything that creates down force also creates drag. I am taking them with me however because if there is any side winds then I may want that down force for stability.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks Racer.You have fun on that LSR,and friggin be careful!Anything weird,add some more gas!lol....I've had mine up to 200 and a bit more.Solid as a rock.On an imperfect street surface.Take some vids if ya can.Have fun man.

I wondered also about the front end with wings creating drag at a certain speed...you think that's actually happening?I mean,I could see it for sure.Maybe having em on there(the upper ones)might be a good idea at those speeds?IDK.You would know more about it than me for sure.I'd be leery though about pullin em.Definitely don't need the frontend gettin light.Course,the damper works killer.So it probably wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had just the lower wings on mine and I can tell you for sure they create noticeable downforce. The front end didnt have the same bouncy movements (slight ones) once I put them on and it was more noticeable at speeds above 70...

NOLA

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I wondered also about the front end with wings creating drag at a certain speed....
The faster you go the more noticeable it will be. If a guy has maxed out at 220mph he'll be back in his pit scratching his head trying to figure out how he can get 3mph more out of his run. All the little things matter.

Brock told me that when they did their big run they put the mirrors on for stability when there was a cross wind and the result was -8mph from their runs without the mirrors.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Brock told me that when they did their big run they put the mirrors on for stability when there was a cross wind and the result was -8mph from their runs without the mirrors.
Brock's rider wasn't too tall which helped with their speed.

I've wondered about the mirrors too, especially for normal sized riders. With the mirrors removed the wind blast coming around the screen hits the shoulder. Look at the attached image, this was a little over 200mph and the armoured shoulder of my race leathers is being pushed in by the air pressure. The screen is a Zero Gravity Corsa. With the mirrors fitted and folded back on earlier runs there wasn't a lot of difference in speed. Mirrors or shoulders?

On the subject of stability, when we've had side winds the speeds were down but the un-aerodynamic H2 is never a problem and much less affected than some bikes like the Hayabusa which has a large side area on it's fairing. I have occasionally leant it over a little to keep straight but you notice this more as an increase in revs when you're not on the centre of the tyre.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The screen is a Zero Gravity Corsa. .
Interesting info Bob, especially on the side wind topic, good stuff.
How tall are you? I'm guessing around 6' ?
I'm 5' 10" 147lbs so I'm planning to get really small behind the windscreen.

On the windscreen topic, I started a thread on the H2 Facebook page and asked which is more aerodynamic the stock screen or a larger aftermarket like the Zero Gravity Corsa, not which provides more protection or is more comfortable but which is more aerodynamic at speed. A lot of LSR guys gave input and it was agreed that the stock windscreen is more aerodynamic, unless you are so large that you can't hide behind the windscreen and then YOU create drag. So I'm sticking with the stock screen for Mojave, I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Interesting info Bob, especially on the side wind topic, good stuff.
How tall are you? I'm guessing around 6' ?
I'm 5' 10" 147lbs so I'm planning to get really small behind the windscreen.

On the windscreen topic, I started a thread on the H2 Facebook page and asked which is more aerodynamic the stock screen or a larger aftermarket like the Zero Gravity Corsa, not which provides more protection or is more comfortable but which is more aerodynamic at speed. A lot of LSR guys gave input and it was agreed that the stock windscreen is more aerodynamic, unless you are so large that you can't hide behind the windscreen and then YOU create drag. So I'm sticking with the stock screen for Mojave, I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm around 5' 10" too Terry but 200lbs, blame the weight training.

Interesting comments about the screen choice. I'm posting two images. (hopefully). One of Brock's rider on his bike and me on mine which shows how rider size affects tuck position and aero's. See how far back from the screen his helmet is, look at where his elbows are and then compare. For sure the smaller stock screen with a really tiny rider is going to be more aerodynamic but it has to be optimised for the whole rider and bike package. It's going to vary from one person to another and I'm not exactly tall. The other image is just me but comparing the stock screen with the Zero Gravity. I'd be interested in your comments. The ZG is certainly better for me at LSR events.

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
See how far back from the screen his helmet is, look at where his elbows are and then compare. .
Bob first of all great photos, I can only hope to come away from my first LSR with a pic like that. Takes a professional to snap it at speed.

Yes the photo shows you are much further forward in the tuck than the other rider, well done.
One thing that surprises me is how high each of your helmets are. When I'm in a tuck, especially above 200 I'm literally laying on the gas tank and my helmet is touching the tank. At least that's what I recall, a snapshot may prove me a liar :rolleyes: we'll see.

Elbows bent to stay forward, that's a good tip, thnx.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is it normal to have to rebalance so often? Also, did you have to buy the $500 custom tool from Kawasaki to perform those balances?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
....One thing that surprises me is how high each of your helmets are. When I'm in a tuck, especially above 200 I'm literally laying on the gas tank and my helmet is touching the tank.
The limit for how low I can position my helmet is governed by needing to see forward. Look at this image of me using a stock screen and a Zero Gravity, my chest is on the tank and the chin of my helmet is almost there, in fact it's over the front of the tank but if I went down the last inch or so with my head I wouldn't be able to see forward, my neck isn't flexible enough.

Some years back on my 1400 Kawasaki I tried laying my head on the tank and looking sideways at the edge of the runway, so I could get right down under the screen. I only did it a couple of times, it was quite risky and probably the danger outweighed any gains. We also used to run with the left arm tucked in out of the airflow. The other image of the blue 1400 is me riding like that, with my arm tucked in, on a 205mph run, anything to get that winning 1mph.

Another thing you'll notice in the photo from the previous post comparing me with Brock's rider is that he's short enough to be able to get his elbows inboard. I can't do that because my knees occupy that space, even with my butt right back against the rubber pad. As I said before the biggest drag for me on an H2 is caused by the shoulders, the rest is fine tuning. There's a lot to think about and I'm looking forward to your feedback when you've done some LSR Terry. Good luck at Mojave.

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Is it normal to have to rebalance so often? Also, did you have to buy the $500 custom tool from Kawasaki to perform those balances?
From what I'm told by x-pro racers this is not uncommon for very high hp superbikes, but mine is the first H2 that I've heard of needing to do this. Keep in mind that I'm a pretty aggressive rider on the track with the H2. There is a whole thread on this topic started when I first started shredding tires with the H2, have a look if you like: http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h2-general-discussion/19001-unusual-tire-wear.html

No I'm not using a Kawi tool, I bought a tire balancer off Amazon and then you need a special balancer for the rear wheel from Marc Parnes Motorcycle Wheel Balancer

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just for sake of comparison, have you considered running a track day with stock wheels by chance? I'd be really curious to see if it created any difference in the tire slip compared to your BSTs.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just for sake of comparison, have you considered running a track day with stock wheels by chance? I'd be really curious to see if it created any difference in the tire slip compared to your BSTs.
yeah that was all covered in that link I gave you above, the stock rims made no difference, and neither did sending the BSTs back to Brock's to have the anti-slip coating added. I you'd like to continue the wheel slip discussion it would be best to do it in the thread Unusual Tire Wear

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah that was all covered in that link I gave you above, the stock rims made no difference, and neither did sending the BSTs back to Brock's to have the anti-slip coating added. I you'd like to continue the wheel slip discussion it would be best to do it in the thread Unusual Tire Wear
Ah, I have to admit I hadn't reread that, but I remembered your initial trials with the BSTs and anti-slip coating, I just didn't remember you also using stock wheels. Whoops! Wheel slip discussion concluded ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ah, I have to admit I hadn't reread that, but I remembered your initial trials with the BSTs and anti-slip coating, I just didn't remember you also using stock wheels.
yeah no worries, it was a REALLY long thread with a lot of opinions so no reason you should remember all the details. I just didn't want this thread to get too far off topic. cheers.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts