Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had just recently softened up the front end with lighter fork springs and was really looking forward to testing it out at the track. Had great track conditions and I wound up turning my fastest ever laptimes and fastest gps top speed by far at this track, it was a good day.

Here's some video of the H2 carving up the A group:

had to rebalance my rear wheel 3 times that day

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Great stuff Terry and one chewed up rear by the look of it.

Willow Springs was used by the UK Top Gear TV show which aired last week. It looked a bit dusty and unloved.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love seeing that bike on the track looking forward to our first track day next month.
thank you, and thanks for your comment on my YouTube channel.
what track will you be going riding next month? not all tracks are comfortable for the H2.

Great stuff Terry and one chewed up rear by the look of it.
Willow Springs was used by the UK Top Gear TV show which aired last week. It looked a bit dusty and unloved.
thanks Bob, yeah you can hear the engine sputter as the TC kicks in as I'm driving out of the corners.
UT Top Gear - was that where the women named Sabine Schmitz test drove the Camaro zl1 at Willow? One of my Brit friends that knows I run Willow told me about that, said she was doing 1:36s in the car, I didn't get to see it. As a comparison I was doing 1:31's when I wasn't in traffic. There was no wind/dust that day I ran, but it is in the Mojave dessert and the wind can be brutal, I've seen it throw riders off the track when doing 140mph. I'd like to see it repaved but I really don't think about it when I'm riding.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also it doesn't hurt to get chummy with the track photographer, you get better photos that way ;)
BTW she took that slow-mo video of me that's at the very start of my video, pretty cool cause I usually don't get video of me riding.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious here...what kind of speeds are you doing in those turns?And gears?Tires?
Tires: Pirelli SC2 racing slicks
Gearing: I use stock gearing for the track 18/44
coming down the back straight I'm up around 170, then there's a fast right handing sweeper that we go about 140ish through, and my gps reading that day was a max speed of 178 on the straights. Assuming there's a 2 second sampling rate on the Garmin then I probably was hitting closer to 180.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the tighter turns?
Super video man...very nice.
thanks.
Turn 3 (left hander) and going the hill into the long right hander is about 60mph I would guess.

So you wanna see me crash in turn 3?
you have to go back to 1986 when I was racing a Formula II GP (2 stroke) and I high-sided going up the hill.
A guy passed me going into 3 and I wanted to hold my position and gassed it going up the hill, kicked out the rear wheel.
The video is only 1 min. long but at the beginning you can hear the announcer say Stephenson on the Rotax, that's me, #172
I broke my right wrist on that crash.
have a look:

Reactions: Supercharged

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
God no I don't want to see you crash.

I'm asking because I'm trying to determine the radius's of some of those turns,and hearing what speeds you're at kinda lets me know about cornering on the road,and what speeds I'm doing that.I appreciate you takin the time to reply.For some reason,others asked at different times either won't respond,or choose not to...for whatever reason.I'm curious about cornering speeds.Thanks again Racer...I'll watch this new vid...but I feel badly for ya ahead of time...glad you walked away;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ No, no, I didn't think you wanted to see me crash, but it is interesting to see that video from so long ago.
now if it was the H2 I don't think I'd have the heart to post the video!

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
836 Posts
^ No, no, I didn't think you wanted to see me crash, but it is interesting to see that video from so long ago.
now if it was the H2 I don't think I'd have the heart to post the video!
Good video, it brought back memories.

True story . When I was racing 350 Yamaha’s in c 1990 I had just finished a race when a young boy came up to me in the pits and asked for my autograph , I said really? he nodded yes , I signed his autograph book and when I looked up his Dad shouted NOT HIM and pointed at another racer . Talk about a deflated ego !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like Thomson Ct will be the first one for us unless we go to NJ first. Our weather has been terrible the past few weeks. I'm trying to get as much riding time in before I take it on the track. So far the weather isn't cooperating. >:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Absolutely tremendous riding and great video!

I love the appearance by Bobby Fong. Pro riders at track days are always hilarious since there is such a gap between really fast mere mortals and them. I spent some time on track with Jason Pridmore a while back and I'm pretty sure he could run circles around me on a 250, haha.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
......was that where the women named Sabine Schmitz test drove the Camaro zl1 at Willow? One of my Brit friends that knows I run Willow told me about that, said she was doing 1:36s in the car,.......
Yes, Sabine the German lady who's one of the Nurburgring professionals, she's a fantastic driver. There's a video of her driving a Ford Transit van (panel van) around the 'ring in under ten minutes and mixing it with guys in sports cars.

https://youtu.be/5KiC03_wVjc

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Absolutely tremendous riding and great video! I love the appearance by Bibby Fong. I spent some time on track with Jason Pridmore a while back and I'm pretty sure he could run circles around me on a 250, haha.
Thank you. Yeah I was doing 1:31's (when not in traffic) and Fong was doing about 1:22s. Ridiculous.
Jason was out there too working with a student, I passed them both down the back straight (he was just following his student).
Here's pics from when I did a private session with Jason at Willow Springs last year.
BTW this was just before I installed the intercooler and Jason was a bit annoyed with me cause I kept having to shut it down to avoid the high boost temps. He is not a fan of the H2.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts