Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, figured I would share this info for you guys.

The H2 and H2R both use the same head gasket, pistons, rods, crank, supercharger, cylinder head, and valves.

Also the H2R exhaust you cannot buy in one piece, you have to buy each runner, collector, joints, and muffler separately and it costs $7,125 lol

Cheers!

·
Registered
350 Posts
The H2 and H2R both use the same head gasket, pistons, rods, crank, supercharger, cylinder head, and valves.
Then why do multiple sources state that the head gaskets on the H2 and H2R respectively are NOT the same?

2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 Press Release (www.kawasaki.com):
"In fact, aside from its camshafts, head gaskets and clutch, the engine is the same as the unit found in the Ninja H2R." :nerd:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then why do multiple sources state that the head gaskets on the H2 and H2R respectively are NOT the same?

2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 Press Release (www.kawasaki.com):
"In fact, aside from its camshafts, head gaskets and clutch, the engine is the same as the unit found in the Ninja H2R." :nerd:

Could not tell you bud!!!!

All I can tell you is the H2 and the H2r have the same part number for the head gasket!

Part Number: 11004-0754
Description: GASKET-HEAD
Package Quantity: 1
Item Status Code: Active
Price:
MSRP: $117.74

Model (2):
ZX1000NFF (Ninja H2) (2015)
ZX1000PFF (Ninja H2R) (2015)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspected as much... most likely it's an error in the Part Listing but time will tell. ;)
That is a possibility.... but look at my other post about the H2R parts ordering, no listing of the head gasket, only of the crank cases which COULD have a higher deck height causing the lower compression????

I'm no kawi engineer so I have ZERO clue as to if thats the reason why the H2R has different crankcases than the H2 but I am just going off the part numbers. I dont see why they would mix up that one part number but you never know!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I dont see why they would mix up that one part number but you never know!!!
If the Part Numbers are listed correctly, then Kawasaki.com made a MEGA error in its 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 Press Release regarding the head gaskets being different; this difference has been quoted by several publications.

One thing for sure, an error exists in the information provided by Kawasaki about the head gaskets, either in the Parts Listing or otherwise.

Thanks for providing the info!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the Part Numbers are listed correctly, then Kawasaki.com made a MEGA error in its 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 Press Release regarding the head gaskets being different; this difference has been quoted by several publications.

One thing for sure, an error exists in the information provided by Kawasaki about the head gaskets, either in the Parts Listing or otherwise.

Thanks for providing the info!

That is correct!!!

On another note about parts....

The intake on the H2R costs $8,100 bucks new lol..... :eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
garth285.
So if I want to lower the compression to redline at 14,000, I should make the cylinder base gasket .20 thicker, right?
And what should I do to get H2R cams in my H2? Also I would like to keep the stock cams. I just don't know how to reproduce the H2R cams. Thank you for helping me, garth285.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
garth285.
So if I want to lower the compression to redline at 14,000, I should make the cylinder base gasket .20 thicker, right?
And what should I do to get H2R cams in my H2? Also I would like to keep the stock cams. I just don't know how to reproduce the H2R cams. Thank you for helping me, garth285.
Not sure what size gasket you will need. As far as cams you can get a custom set made with some larger lift and duration, the H2R has almost 60* more duration over the H2 and about 1.7mm lift. Maybe Web Cams will be willing to help or megacycle.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
You're not going to (officially) get H2R camshafts, or any other H2R specific parts, for your H2. You might, on the other hand, be able to get aftermarket camshafts from Web Camshafts or some other suitable source, if they have something that will go in. Given the miniscule number of such parts that they are likely to sell, I have my doubts. But perhaps a bit of research on the dimensions of the engine compared to others of similar size and arrangement (zx10r, etc) might turn up something with compatible cylinder bore spacing, journal diameters, oil flow passages, etc. It will cost something ...

Now, having said that. We all now know that the H2 is a monster right from down low in the RPM range and has a very steady progressive torque curve resulting in big power everywhere. It makes monster torque down low because it has conservative cam timing (because the centrifugal supercharger isn't contributing much yet). The conservative cam timing costs power up top but the boost pressure MORE than makes up for it. If you put wilder camshafts in it ... sure, it will make more power on top, but for a street bike, a vertical torque curve that starts with (relatively) nothing and then has a massive increase might not be very user friendly ...

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Not sure what size gasket you will need. As far as cams you can get a custom set made with some larger lift and duration, the H2R has almost 60* more duration over the H2 and about 1.7mm lift. Maybe Web Cams will be willing to help or megacycle.
You posted that while I was typing. Wow. That's a huge difference. Can you share the duration and lift numbers?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
As usual with Kawasaki, those are the total ("advertised") duration numbers, not the durations at 1mm lift - which are smaller and less impressive numbers - but even so, those are rather wild numbers even for a normally-aspirated engine, certainly not a recipe for low-end or mid-range torque. But take 60 degrees off the intake duration and then it becomes a conservative mid-range-torque cam profile ... (Thanks Garth)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
H2 Specs

Cam Height
Intake 33.743 - 33.847
Exhaust 33.943 - 34.057

Valve Timing
Intake
Open 37
Close 47
Duration 264

Exhaust
Open 50
Close 30
Duration 260

·
Registered
105 Posts
do i read the numbers like this?
Intake: Open 37 degrees before TDC, Close 47 degrees after BDC
Exhaust: Open 50 degrees before BDC, Close 30 degrees after TDC

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do we know how many actual H2R's are being built ? Clearly there are some guys here in the states that are waiting for them. We need to contact them privately, about potentially ordering the specific parts only, that are in question to be different. Head gasket, cams and well the cases would be pretty expensive. Garth do you have the costs available for those specific items. I thought I read head gasket about $117 for each bike. My dealer ordered some of the specific H2 items at a discount. So.... Any thoughts on the best way to do this. I am certain Kawasaki wants to see our H2's kill everything on the street, and at the same time remain completely on the compliance side of the law.
I see it as, similar to almost every Harley that comes straight off the showroom floor, to the pipe and jet department. Those bikes are so noisy, and there are millions of them wide open exhaust blasting down every street. If we can get the a specific dollar amount for the parts we need. I think we will be able to collectively come up with a solution. That keeps the factory clear and satisfies our desires. Of course the nay Sayers will be shouting at the top of their lungs, but if they just look like normal H2's...who is going to know. Only those involved.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. I thought it was the deck highth on the H2R top case which is making the lower compression, that the H2 doesn't have. I thought that it was .20. But now changing the headgasket ( H2R onto the H2 ) fixes the compression?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts