Ninja H2 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Great Vid.

I've got question here for you guys...You see how these riders are getting the frontend to lift in the lower gears and gassing it.They seem to be staying in the gas...and the front comes up and then goes back down smooth.Is this something that the KTRC is doing,or is it just the weight of the bike allowing it to come down that smooth?I'm leery about getting wheelifts at these speeds and gear selections.They seem to do this with ease and control.Mine feels like it's gonna keep lifting when it starts doing this...kinda spooks me a bit.So how should I do this?My Ktrc is on '1'.

'2+' stopped any wheelying on mine...which I didn't want.Even '2' stopped the lifts.How should i 'practice' these wheel lifts going up through the gears?Thanks guys...ya'll most likely already KNOW how to do this.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Great Vid.

I've got question here for you guys...You see how these riders are getting the frontend to lift in the lower gears and gassing it.They seem to be staying in the gas...and the front comes up and then goes back down smooth.Is this something that the KTRC is doing,or is it just the weight of the bike allowing it to come down that smooth?I'm leery about getting wheelifts at these speeds and gear selections.They seem to do this with ease and control.Mine feels like it's gonna keep lifting when it starts doing this...kinda spooks me a bit.So how should I do this?My Ktrc is on '1'.

'2+' stopped any wheelying on mine...which I didn't want.Even '2' stopped the lifts.How should i 'practice' these wheel lifts going up through the gears?Thanks guys...ya'll most likely already KNOW how to do this.
It's the KTRC. KTRC 1 (no + or ~) I'm wheeling constantly in the first 3-4 gears especially full throttle using KQS but it controls it perfectly, I just keep throttle pinned and it lifts about a foot and settles back nicely. Love it.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Okay Strad...thank you.That's reassuring then.Let me ask this then...what about 1st?When I pin the throttle(not completely)will it settle back down before I go into second?I feels like it's gonna go over if I stay in it.And also...are you already at speed(in first)(like a roll on) or are you talking about a 1st gear 'pinning' at low speed..say 20mph or so.Mine comes up real abruptly at those speeds.Somewhat less if I moving faster.KTRC '1'.

I guess I'm worried it'll just keep climbing...so I don't stay in the throttle.That definitely ruins the experience for me of having a lift and a nice setdown.I have mine flashed and exhaust modded...no prechamber or cat...so it comes on pretty strong with these lifts.

I know it's a lot of questions...but IF possible...could you tell me with yours at what rpm(and speed) in 1st are you getting yours to start lifting?

What I have usually done is get to about 20mph(or somewhat less...RPMs around 4K...or 5K..)5k she usually jumps right up....open the throttle hard..but not all the way.It's awfully quick this way.I'm afraid actually that she's gonna do this shifting up through 2nd and 3rd as well(so I don't actually TRY to have this happen in 2nd or any other gear)(I KNOW it will)...I'm missing this fun part of this motorcycle.Most the guys in these videos do this so **** easy looking...I'd like to be able to do this as well.So they're NOT letting off the gas then?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's the KTRC. KTRC 1 (no + or ~) I'm wheeling constantly in the first 3-4 gears especially full throttle using KQS but it controls it perfectly, I just keep throttle pinned and it lifts about a foot and settles back nicely. Love it.
If you'd care to try something for us (Me) try setting +1 or -2 and see if the wheel still gets a foot off the ground.

I'm thinking because the TC is wheel RPM based. If we're using different tires (traction) will the answer of 1 be the same for everybody regardless of other variables like tires or rider weight.

Without knowing this I would advise anyone like me to step down to 1 by trying -2 and +1 first for no surprises. Its just now cooling off around here so I'll be riding more to find out for myself but appreciate any others experience.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
LOL.I just want to be able to ride my H2 like it's able to be ridden.Without wrecking.I'll try that 1+ and 2- settings.

One thing I DID notice IMMEDIATELY after installing my PCV and map(private tuner)that the rear actually breaks loose when accelerating HARD going up from about 3rd through 6th.No lift...just breaking loose momentarily.Couldn't figure out what the **** I was feeling...my friend who was behind me said..."you know,your bike moves about an inch or so everytime you shift and 'on the gas'.I'm thinkin..."HUH?"Then it hit me...that feel I got.It made sense then.I KNOW she didn't do this before the PCV and map.I had thought something was wrong with the rear end or trans.Nope...those are just fine.But I was surprised it was doing this at triple digit shifts.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Full throttle in first but not just pinning it. Only use 1st to take off from stops & if riding aggressively I'm usually rolling into 1st less quickly (then when in 2nd, 3rd) to full throttle. In 2,3,4th when I pin it can feel/see the bike come up & then settle down so don't feel comfortable telling you pin it in first and you'll be fine even though believe it's the KTRC that has worked to keep the wheel down in first for me. I've come away from stops in 1st, hit it harder than normal, front wheel pulls up but not to the level that you would ride a wheelie, just comes up and then down while gaining speed & powering on more throttle. First few weeks I was in KTRC 2 but it was turning on too much, flashing on the dash constantly, like every time I really got on it.

As you point out for me that was stock. As of yesterday though my bike is now modded - stage 2 flashed Brocks/Guhl, DNA, PCV, Brocks full polished exhaust. Very short ride last night couldn't help but giggle out loud like a school girl at the way it sounds now, FINALLY the bike sounds as good as it feels & looks. I have plans to head out tonight to see what it's really like :) Not tonight but will find someplace safe and practice using more & more power in 1st,2nd,3rd, w/ each pass will slightly quicken how much throttle I'm using. I want to know exactly how much the bike has changed, don't want to be surprised while in a spot like up against somebody. It could take a few sessions, hard work but somebody has to do it right? ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
One thing I DID notice IMMEDIATELY after installing my PCV and map(private tuner)that the rear actually breaks loose when accelerating HARD going up from about 3rd through 6th.No lift...just breaking loose momentarily.
...When you said you went to a PR4 tire this was the first thing I thought would happen. Th PR4 has a relatively hard high mileage center compound with extra rain siping. Adding power it will slip even more so setting TC lower may just spin the tire up more. My ZX14 used to spin the tire on quickshifts with PR2's. The PP2ct or PP3 is what i'm gonna try first change. Michelin has some cool graphics that illustrate the tread/compounds.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tim Rothig, 2011 ZX10R, same track

Interesting to compare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHC55aqDxb0

He was pushing the snot out of the ZX10, whereas the H2 was not being pushed to its limit.

He knows that track like the back of his hand. The ZX10 is scraping in places and the H2 made it clean.

What do you think ?

IMHO the ZX10 was lifting the front more often.

Rhody...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"He was pushing the snot out of the ZX10, whereas the H2 was not being pushed to its limit"...yep...that's what I see also.I didn't see the front lifting much though...maybe I didn't recognize it?

Here's another question...this bike..the h2..should I be trying to stay in the 6k and up range while riding this?Aside from regular cruising rpms.He's doing alot of downshifting and engine braking there.Should I be running this motor like that?You know...downshifting into corners and such more aggressively?Or is this just something I should just 'keep on a track' doing.I don't have any tracks in this state.Or even the next ones around.

Wish the speedo on that 10 was visible...so I could get an idea of what speeds he's doing these maneuvers and such in.

These are both really good videos.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dunno if it's because of the flash or just that I didn't have enough speed when rolling it hard in first tonight but bike stood up, way up w/ KTRC 1. Tried it a few more times, wheel comes way off the ground & would have kept going. I usually roll it in slowly in first now you really have to feather it to keep the front wheel anywhere near the ground. She is a different beast now. And rol ons in 2nd, 3rd, 4th OMG! Riding home too in 6th going pretty hard she was fast as heck before but now she's like a bat out of he11.

Rode from Great Neck to Green Port Long ISland (North Fork) tonight, 170 miles. What a blast. Stage 2, PCV, DNA, BROCKS full exhaust is sick. Insanely fast.

·
Registered
406 Posts
".should I be trying to stay in the 6k and up range while riding this?"4

Only if you want quick acceleration and the road warrants it, the bike accelerates so quick compared to a 1000 like the ZX10, Tim Rothig the racer handles it and makes it look easy when in fact it is hard to master. I would practice medium to full roll-ons in 2nd, 3rd gear with smooth hard transitions to the front brake and bring the speed back to 50 mph. Do this 100 times straight up and at increasing angles of lean (sweeper corners, etc...) and you will feel at one with the beast that is the H2. Every time I ride the BMW and then hop on the H2, I have to up my game, reflexes and throttle control, it makes riding the BMW so much easier because I have more time to think during acceleration and I can be later on the brakes because the BMW is about 90 lbs lighter than the H2. Hope this addresses some of your concerns.

Rhody...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts