Ninja H2 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just been reading bike GPS reviews and more or less decided against both the TomTom Rider and the Garmin Zumo in favor of using a phone based app; but then looking at handle bar mounts Vs space on the bars. Not much space. Then there are the mounts that are supposed to bolt into the steering head, but the H2 doesn't look standard in this respect. (not near bike right now, just going from my video shots) I have a Note 4, Note 1 that could be used.

Has anyone come up with a workable set up? Seems like its hard to combine the majority of phone, Bluetooth, hardwired earphones, GPS, music, power, waterproofing and a mount.

Was leaning toward the TomTom Rider...

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've been using the Tom Tom Rider 400 for a year now and it does the job pretty well - have to say that I don't use it for music/phone or use bluetooth/earplugs to listen to directions.

Mounting on the H2 is easy - just use one of these - fits into the hole in the steering stem and the offset is enough to clear the steering damper

Viewing Product FORK STEM MOUNT 1" BALL - TranAm Ltd

We can supply them - from memory it would be about £25 delivered UK

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thx, I was looking for something like this too.

And thx for showing the Assen circuit :D
I'm having a go with the H2 on May 9th myself on this circuit. Weather permitting... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have used Telferizer Mount on my Honda Fireblade and found it to be a excellent product. I will be contacting them again if the one from my hone does not fit the H2
I used it for my Gp pro but once you have the headstock mount you can use ram mounts to connect pretty much anything from GPS to go Pro's etc...

The Telferizer Custom Motorcycle RAM mounts for GPS Systems

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Thanks guys for your help. First I will try mounting a phone or tablet and experiment with Waze and Google maps. If those are lacking then I'll try the TomTom Rider.
I have an old but high end TomTom Live and I find it totally frustrating that it won't allow entry of major streets that have been there for centuries. They all have their quirks. I like listening to instructions rather than looking down too often.

R

·
Registered
577 Posts
Excellent! Can you post a photo of just the ball mount without anything mounted to it? This is so petty, but I love how beautiful the top triple of the H2 is and I'm worried about the ball mount interfering with the looks.
Images here - the mount does cover the Rivermark badge on the top yoke but I don't think it is too bad

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thx, I was looking for something like this too.

And thx for showing the Assen circuit :D
I'm having a go with the H2 on May 9th myself on this circuit. Weather permitting... :)
Was at Assen last year with a few other H2's - and it rained (well it is in Holland..........) but the beer was good and plentiful :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parts as per link https://youtu.be/dCMV9Uauxy4 (different phone mount)

DIAMOND BASE TO 1" BALL
Sold by: SPORTOURING
£8.20

RAM DOUBLE SOCKET ARM SHORT
£15.59

RAM-MOUNT -RAM-HOL-UN4 - Universal Plastic Finger Grip Holder
£23.60

RAM MOTORCYCLE FORK STEM MOUNT
£18.79

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That Ram mount looks much nicer than other options I've seen, I like it.
I am using 2 steel TechMounts which install under the triple tree on the fork tube. Looks very OEMish because unless you look under the triple tree (w/ the phone holders off) all you see is the steel ball and there's unlimited adjustment in terms of swiveling them from left to right, the height and angle of the small arms. I have been running these since the Fall for both my iPhone 6 & hard wired Valentine One radar detector. Love the way they have worked out for my H2.

http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-...0978-anyone-mount-iphone-6-h2.html#post171682

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I prefer the look of the steel TechMount but ... had already ordered the Ram mount. It does not clear the Ohlins ... sooo.. go with the Telferizer if that does clear it.

Not having the right tool myself, a guy at the local Kawasaki dealer removed the center mount for the damper and dropped the Ohlins bits - lost down the front end... luckily borrowed replacements off the showroom H2 that cannot be delivered in France... I tightened the rubber cone down hard and replaced the Ohlins. After going up the local twisties - up 350 meters in 6 kilometers, got home and the ball mount is loose! Trying to find the right tool online now. Can anyone enlighten me - what is the exact spec and supplier of the tool to remove the center nut and bolt on the H2 Ohlins steering damper? Looks like a Torx but there is a pin in the center..Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem. It's a "torx bo". Well, it's called like that overhere...
Or
"A version known as Security Torx, Tamper-Resistant Torx (often shortened to Torx TR) or pin-in Torx contains a post in the center of the head that prevents a standard Torx driver (or a straight screwdriver) from being inserted."

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys ...
There are 5 and 6 lobe tools. An Ohlins dealer said it's either the T45 or T50 so wasn't sure.

Even looking at the speedo at speed is a no-no so, closer in is worse. That's one reason why I want audio GPS and camera warnings. A mini instrument panel on the nose is one daft idea I had ... other side of the screen, with its own mini screen. There is a special drill bit and technique for plane canopy's.

I loaded an Android app TomTom - Speed Cameras, will try it out - assuming I still have a licence after my trip down here from London, LoL. Waze is used a lot around here. I will have to gen up on what kind of kit they use and find out if the US detectors work here or what is working here. This bike is definitely a licence loser if you give in to that 'Urge' to twistzewrist ; >0

DeRox what news on your bike?

R

·
Registered
90 Posts
News is that it is a total loss. See other topic. I get back what I payed for it, so that's kinda ok. Problem is that there are no used H2's overhere, so I cannot buy another. I guess I'll save some money and buy a 2017? :laugh:
I expect that one to behave better. They usually do after 2 modelyears?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
... and the other daft idea was to dispense with the in-helmet sounds and mount the Bluetooth speaker. Just fooling around looking for space/connectivity. The weather resistant double USB charger can wire into the ignition and is attached to the underside of the Ram mount. That mount will also be able to hold a tinny for the beach - Ha! Just kidding officer.
https://goo.gl/photos/2krddoGzzak1qytc7

(This is the first time I did not buy the 1st year Kwaka, but I do like the all black)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts