Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately or those of us who like GP shift (1 up,5 down) on our H2's we won't be able to do this.
Reversing or turning upside down the linkage on the gearbox spline won't work because of a lack of room.
Also the quickshifter won't allow this to work.

Now I have to swap my Gen3 back to 1 down 5 up so I can re-learn. Bu33er

·
Registered
473 Posts
GP setup is great on the track but not nearly as useful on the street unless you track your bike a lot. I know a few people that switched their street bikes to this config because they race or do lots of track days and don't want to have to remember to switch back to conventional shifting and thinking about it when riding their street bikes or vice versa when on the track.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I was looking at the quick shifter software in the ECU I discovered that it has 4 different operating modes, actually more like 2 configurations x 2 modes.

The difference between configurations is that one shifts when the shift linkage voltage increases and the other when it decreases. I assumed it was to accommodate different mfg/models of shift linkage switches but now that you mention the GP shift I wonder if that is why each mode has positive and negative configuration?

As far as the two modes go one is a simple exceed a threshold, trigger a shift event. The second mode however is much more complex and has three shift voltage zones. At first glance it looks like shift assist for both up shifting and down shifting.

I don't see why the ECU couldn't down shift. It knows the speed of the output shaft via the rear wheel speed sensor, the speed of the crank, the current gear ratio and the next lower ratio so it could calculate matching rpm and has control of the throttle to make that rpm happen.

If you are able to figure out a mechanical work around once you get the H2 in your hands and are still interested we could take a closer look at GP shifting from the ECU side.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I will have to change to GP shifting sooner rather than later, given that every motorcycle that I've owned for the last 20 years has been changed over to GP shift.

Veeeerrry interesting find about the 2 different shift configurations, because that means it might just involve a different arm at the shift shaft. The stock one won't clear the sprocket cover, but that's what cutting and welding is for.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been riding reverse shift for a long while now.So it's become a habit.When I ride someone else's bike I have to think about it.If you're going hard it can be dangerous to yourself as well as the bike if you click the wrong way.
I'll be looking for a way to work around it when I get the H2 back home.
I'm not overly concerned about the quick shift not working.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't see why the ECU couldn't down shift. It knows the speed of the output shaft via the rear wheel speed sensor, the speed of the crank, the current gear ratio and the next lower ratio so it could calculate matching rpm and has control of the throttle to make that rpm happen.
Maybe the more complex mode would enable throttle "blipping" for downshifts, ala BMW...

·
Registered
587 Posts
wouldn't a simple change in linkages solve the issue?
Since there's an actuator/sensor there that moves one way for upshifts and the other for downshifts you'd have to reverse what the push and pull does.its more of a software issue than hardware imo. I forgot to look at the bmw to see how they made it possible.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Since there's an actuator/sensor there that moves one way for upshifts and the other for downshifts you'd have to reverse what the push and pull does.its more of a software issue than hardware imo. I forgot to look at the bmw to see how they made it possible.
you (or anyone) got a hi-res/detailed pic of the location by chance?

·
Registered
587 Posts
On the bmw? Or h2, I assume h2... I'll poke around

Ok I could be way off but I believe my premise is sound, attached is a link showing what was labeled a gp shift or reverse style. Notice when your pushing down your really moving the shift linkage up and vice versa. It would be the other way around with regular style. Push down, the linkage rotates down and vice versa. My terms may not be spot on here but you get the idea

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/multistrada/133969d1359301038-reverse-shift-gp-shift-mts1200-img_8298.jpg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Telling someone that's use to gp to suddenly switch back to regular is like telling a right handed person to switch to being left hand dominant. Possible but not exactly optimal... Like trying to swing a left handed driver when a righty, or using a lefty glove in baseball when right handed.
It's got nothing to do riding the bike first before deciding on gp shift,sounds like they all ready decided a long before this bike. Personally so long as the qs works when switched to gp I'd have at it. .02

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Telling someone that's use to gp to suddenly switch back to regular is like telling a right handed person to switch to being left hand dominant. Possible but not exactly optimal... Like trying to swing a left handed driver when a righty, or using a lefty glove in baseball when right handed.
It's got nothing to do riding the bike first before deciding on gp shift,sounds like they all ready decided a long before this bike. Personally so long as the qs works when switched to gp I'd have at it. .02[/Q

Yay!
Someone actually get's it.
I wanted to say something to the people that were "I think we need to ride it first",but I couldn't think of a nice explanation without profanities.
Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's got nothing to do riding the bike first before deciding on gp shift,sounds like they all ready decided a long before this bike. Personally so long as the qs works when switched to gp I'd have at it. .02[/Q

Yay!
Someone actually get's it.
I wanted to say something to the people that were "I think we need to ride it first",but I couldn't think of a nice explanation without profanities.
Thanks[/QUOTE

Once it's commited to muscle memory it's as hard or harder to re learn the regular pattern. I'm trying to tone down profanities. I gave myself a time out from forum as I was losing my mind..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
"I wanted to say something to the people that were "I think we need to ride it first" "..I should have said,"I think I need to ride it first".It was meant as maybe,just maybe one might actually LIKE the factory shift pattern(especially since we don't KNOW how well or not this new trans is gonna shift).I've done both.If a guy likes that GP,very good.

Truly don't see how a comment like that would incite 'profanities'..but to each his own I guess;)

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
After 20 years of reverse pattern, it is not a matter of "like" any more. Reverse pattern is the way it's gonna be. Otn other bikes I have bought rearsets and fabricated links to make it happen. Won't be any different here.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The factory shifter being good won't change whether someone's use to gp shift. I think that if the question is asked or in this case if the statement is made, no answer will do.. The h2sfactory shift pattern isn't going to magically change someone back to wanting a regular pattern just by how great it is. The new bikes aren't all coming out with switchable patterns because no one wants it ya know. I think the only reason this one didn't is because it's not a race bike, it's the only thing I can think of. I would expect the new 10r to have it as the new bmw does and the new r1 is suppose to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The quickshifter will work fine with a GP pattern , no software mods needed ...

It dosn't matter which way you move your foot to change gear , you still need to push the shift linkage in order to upshift the gearbox... modified linkage is all it needs !

P.S. Hello from England... been lurking here a while, but had nothing usefull to say 'til now!

H2 on order from Clay Cross . . . . W A I T I N G !

1 - 20 of 62 Posts