Ninja H2 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got caught in the rain tonight. Right at night fall with rapidly decreasing temps. Roads were cold, very wet, slick and kinda sketchy..... time for rain mode.

I haven't read the manual yet, but pushing a few buttons I found rain mode pretty quickly (left bar, press and hold up arrow).

Very forgiving throttle settings in rain mode. The bike has to sit at FULL WFO throttle for a LONG time to hit 75 mph in rain mode, and struggled to hold 75 up hills on the freeway.

I won't complain, the electro-nanny feels good in the kind of road conditions I was in tonight. But when someone changed lanes into me, I went for the throttle, held it at the stop for a quarter second and then realized I needed the brakes! There wasn't enough GO to get around the cager in question.

I have never had a "Drive by wire" vehicle before, so it was really cool to feel the huge change from just flipping a few buttons.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Rain?

Got caught in the rain tonight....... The bike has to sit at FULL WFO throttle for a LONG time to hit 75 mph in rain mode, and struggled to hold 75 up hills on the freeway.

I have never had a "Drive by wire" vehicle before, so it was really cool to feel the huge change from just flipping a few buttons.
Thanks for the warning about how soft the rain mode is. I found it while I was sitting in the garage with the manual, going through the modes. Just hope I never need it, I hate getting my bikes mucky and spending the next day getting them back to concours condition again - especially when I could be out riding instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is more like 20% throttle. Not a problem, like I said in the conditions I was in - rain mode was appreciated! Still until someone dyno's a bike in rain mode we won't know. I would be surprised if the bike has more than 25 ft. lbs of torque in rain mode.

Feels like a 500 twin, not even a 500 inline 4 sport bike.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pretty close. Max throttle in rain mode is 18%
For the record I don't have values to dump like ridgeracer.... I only have incorrect literature to go by... I have a photographic memory and it irrates me when the print wrong ****

Whole article:

2014 EICMA: 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 Preview

Excerpt I remembered reading on mcn..

"Kawasaki equipped the H2 with a three-mode traction control system tuned for the track, the street or wet road conditions. Each mode has an additional three levels for a total of nine traction control settings (or 10, if you include “off”.) For even wetter conditions, the H2 has a Rain mode which increases traction control intervention while reducing engine output by 50% and easing throttle response."

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
The article may not be wrong. It's entirely possible that 18% throttle position would give (approximately) 50% torque output in a certain engine speed range; throttle position is highly non-linear with torque output. (All throttle-controlled gasoline engines are like this.)

It sounds like rain mode is not meant for occasional-raindrop situations but rather for horrendous, torrential-downpour, standing-water-on-the-road situations ... (and I say it's good to have such a mode)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts