Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed to Wilmington, Ohio this weekend to race on the ECTA track at the old airport. There is a one mile course and about 4000 feet of shutdown space. Not sure what it will do, but there won't be any traffic and I can't get a ticket. The bike will run in the production class and has to appear stock, except for the required safety modifications. I'll try to post results as soon as I can. For those who are on Facebook, you might see updates on the ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) page. I think their website is .org.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good luck to you and be safe.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see Ricky Gadsen will be there too, glad this isn't side by side racing. Ricky will be running in the altered class. Depending on his gearing, he could run anywhere from 225 to 250 mph.

Reactions: ben1000z

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. Is this your first time taking the H2 out to the track?

I'll be interested to see what kind of times you get and what your top speed comes in at.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
congrats should be a good show, keep it shiny. You have any expectations?

Since I will be a rookie at this track, I have to get licensed in steps. 125 first, 150 second, 175 third and then just go for broke. A category "B" license is for speeds of 175 to 199, "A" for 200 to 249, and "AA" for 250 plus. If I get my "B" license I will be happy. I will have the gearing for 210, but there is a lot involved in getting to that. There are a lot of factors in all of this like getting your tuck right, getting weight right, air pressure. On my old CX650 turbo I was all stretched out at Bonneville and it started wobbling like crazy at 125. A friend told me to get a lot more weight on the front, so I almost sat on the tank trying to hold the front end down - end of wobble. Most really fast bikes out there use a lot of ballast, 100 plus pounds of lead isn't unusual. That's really how you spot a land speed rookie when he says he is using carbon fiber this and titanium that - heck you need the weight for stability.

Reactions: Nessuno

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"heck you need the weight for stability"..so true.The H2 is perfectly weighted for these runs.Have fun and stay focused...you'll be fine....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck, and have fun!! Where did you read about RG going to Ohio?

I would say he called me for riding and tuning advice, the truth is that it was on his Facebook page.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
....... There are a lot of factors in all of this like getting your tuck right,......
Correct, especially on bikes with low power, I mean 200bhp or thereabouts. I sold my 14, the one with the Brocks kit, and the guy who bought it came to a standing mile meeting. I'd done 203.1 on that bike and he was trying really hard to get over 190. It's how you ride it that makes the difference.

A better example: my friend Mike took his 216mph ZX12R stroker along to the runway at Bruntingthorpe for a magazine test. This bike always went over 200. They assembled six riders from different backgrounds. There was even a police rider there. Mike did a gentle demo run for them and the gps logger showed a +200 speed, then the others tried. The only one to exceed 200, apart from Mike himself and James Witham an ex-racer, was a lady rider who had a background in quarter mile sprints. The others were all way off the mark, some just getting into the 180's. Goes to show that it's not the bike, it is the rider makes the difference.

Hope it goes well Ed and I look forward to reading about it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wish my wife could ride it, she is much more streamlined than I am, but for now the Honda scooter is her beast of choice. I have seen Leslie Porterfield run here in the US, she is about my wife's size and she just tucks into the paint. I could take yoga for ten years and lose 100 pounds and still never fit the bike like she does. On a positive note, I don't need to add as much ballast.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speaking of weight on land speed bikes, my older, smart-assed, brother said "that bike must make a lot of horsepower to go fast with you on it". I replied that as an engineer, that he had forgotten the theory that weight does not impact top speed and that possibly with his extra thirty pounds, he might even be able to go faster than I do! Then this past weekend, my brother-in-law, also an engineer asked me the same question, except in a more delicate fashion. I told him of my conversation with my brother and he said "I guess that same rule would apply to me". He has a few pounds on me also. It is fun explaining these things, especially to engineers, I know it has them going back to their theory books. I drag racing it is the opposite, for every hundred pounds you take off you can figure a 1/10 of a second quicker acceleration, not sure the theory for bikes.

The exception to the above would have been the late Bill Warner's bikes. He made them somewhat light as he essentially ran a one mile sprint. He would back up at the line to get as much room as possible to accelerate and then blast out of there trying to hit 300 mph every run. That speed is just crazy in many ways. I hope no one else tries it soon except maybe at Bonneville where you don't have to run it so violently. I also think tires are a big issue at that kind of speed. Bill was using tires designed for 200 mph and running them 50% faster with about quadruple the amount of horsepower they were designed to handle.

Reactions: ben1000z

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's Saturday morning and very overcast, but we are here to show it off. Ricky Gadsen pitted near us. He has two bikes here, so there should lots H2 action.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sweet keep up to sipped on how it goes.... Good luck n be safe.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is your bike flashed and cat removed?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts