Ninja H2 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Did You mean larger front and smaller back to raise the gearing or larger all round keeping the gearing the same?

My bike is geared up from 18/44 to 19/42, it's much nicer to ride and I don't think it harmed the economy either. The standard gearing seems to have been as low as possible to give 186mph (or 300 kph) just before the 13,000 rev' limit, making the bike as extreme as possible and 100% throttle unusable in the lower gears. I think they did this just to impress.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will a larger sprockets front and back produce better fuel mileage?Thanks all...
If you keep the same ratio it should be pretty close if not the same. e.g. 60/12 = 5 100/20 = 5

Depending on how much larger, you may need a larger chain and the tool to stick it on. That's assuming you want it permanent vs clip on in which case then you may want to consider pros and cons between them.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The only thing that will produce is less chain angle and is completely unnecessary and will not give you any better mileage, not even a foot per gallon. Maybe your sprockest will last a day longer, maybe Gear it up and you might get a bit better mileage cruising, but take a loss accelerating.

·
Registered
69 Posts
and is completely unnecessary and will not give you any better mileage, not even a foot per gallon. Maybe your sprockest will last a day longer, maybe Gear it up and you might get a bit better mileage cruising, but take a loss accelerating.
Hi Ted from what i gather here i know your the expert on wrenching, and all things kawi and stuff remember olajoe808 gave a thumbs up on your recent lecture.

The only thing that will produce is less chain angle

Bummer that you think that no other answer is correct. But clearly the theme in this thread so far is to come up with answers to questions not yet asked. That's saying if only the front sprocket was replaced with one larger without any changes to the rear when originally he/she wanted asked about doing both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This makes me think: ouch!!!! that hurts, about getting old. Does getting old get old or could it be getting old never gets old.

Can I put this here, if not well let me know. Was considered hip at one time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hi Ted from what i gather here i know your the expert on wrenching, and all things kawi and stuff remember olajoe808 gave a thumbs up on your recent lecture.

The only thing that will produce is less chain angle

Bummer that you think that no other answer is correct. But clearly the theme in this thread so far is to come up with answers to questions not yet asked. That's saying if only the front sprocket was replaced with one larger without any changes to the rear when originally he/she wanted asked about doing both.
My answer was based on the assumption that both the front sprocket and the rear were both enlarged. Actually if you enlarge both the front and rear to achieve the same gearing your mileage will go down. Why? Because the chain and sprockets weigh more and uses more of the available HP to turn the rear wheel.

I qualified the gearing up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My answer was based on the assumption that both the front sprocket and the rear were both enlarged. Actually if you enlarge both the front and rear to achieve the same gearing your mileage will go down. Why? Because the chain and sprockets weigh more and uses more of the available HP to turn the rear wheel.

I qualified the gearing up.
This forum IS hip I just can't find the thumbps up buttom. As soon as you posted my phone went off. I work with air compressors and done quite a bit with ratios pulleys, etcc. Obviously nothing compared to a performance bike chain driven so I will keep that to myself. Thanks for insight.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This forum IS hip I just can't find the thumbps up buttom. As soon as you posted my phone went off. I work with air compressors and done quite a bit with ratios pulleys, etcc. Obviously nothing compared to a performance bike chain driven so I will keep that to myself. Thanks for insight.
On a motorcycle there are other factors, by increasing the sprocket sizes changes the angle relationship between the chain and swingarm which has an effect on how much squat the bike has under power. There are tons of other variables.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On a motorcycle there are other factors, by increasing the sprocket sizes changes the angle relationship between the chain and swingarm which has an effect on how much squat the bike has under power. There are tons of other variables.

Squat, suspension, sag, who makes the best shock? I'm digging it. Step right up, schools in session. Professor Tedski isinda house.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Front and back guys.I'm pullin down somewhere in the ranges of 45 mpg at 5k cruise speeds.About 65 mph.50 something if I ride at say 55 mph.Not bad IMO.Open her up...somewhere in the 19 mpg range...today I hit 203 mph on a short burst.It didn't wind all the way out though.Had my Gopro sittin right in the way of my lid.(tucked in as far as I could)Which really wasn't enough so I backed out.Gotta try her again with the cam mounted differently.Maybe on my helmet chin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts