Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a mild tune on the dyno, stock 197 rwhp, after tune 208, torque stock 87 ft/lbs, after tune 94, I can only go about 80 miles till the low fuel light comes on, 22.5 mpg. I am pretty sure I was getting 27 to 28 before. How do guys who have Brock's Stage 1 and 2 kits compare ?

I am willing to bet 18 - 20 mpg depending on how you ride.

Rhody...

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
What did they do to the part-throttle mapping?

A lot of dyno "tuners" set the part-throttle cruising area way too rich.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
At the beginning of riding my H2...fully stock...the fuel lamp and flash display would come on at approx 4.1.Then it started coming on over the last few months at 3.4.

Strangely though...at the 4.1 display,I was getting around 28-30 mpg.No matter how i rode.

Now I'm getting approx 35 to 47 mpg depending on how I ride(display set to 'current').My avg on my last half day ride was 34mpg.This is with my exhaust mod...no cat...and flash/PCV mapping.I can get as high as 48-49-50 mpg if I ride her just right.

But I did find the alert display and lamp odd...changing so dramatically.No idea why it would 'suddenly' start doing this.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I started off with a nearly full fuel tank at our last LSR meeting. After eight standing mile runs it was getting very low. Including the shuttling back and forth to and from the paddock that's about 32 miles from a tank.

Although I didn't buy the bike or tune it with gas mileage in mind. I suppose it's possible to buy the Dynojet map switch and run a track map and a road map?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
There's no need for map switching if you have one correct map ... Full load and near full load at the correct air/fuel ratio for power output, part-load at a leaner air/fuel ratio for cruise economy (and also for having less fuel dilution in the oil and less carbon build-up). The "map switching" happens automatically depending on what you do with your right wrist.

Too many "tuners" aim for the same air/fuel ratio everywhere, and it's usually too rich at part load.

·
Registered
331 Posts
With an ECU flash and PCV I would add an autotune. I've used the same one on a ZX-14 and a C14 with good results. Once you tweak the map you can remove it. As GoFaster said you want to tune the areas of the map that aren't used for racing to be more efficient and a great point of not polluting the oil that keeps this beast happy inside. If you're not into tweaking it yourself then your tuner needs to do it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After last fill up fuel warning light came on at 69 miles. Haven't filled up yet, but assume mileage will be worse than last time.

Rhody...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
After a mild tune on the dyno, stock 197 rwhp, after tune 208, torque stock 87 ft/lbs, after tune 94, I can only go about 80 miles till the low fuel light comes on, 22.5 mpg. I am pretty sure I was getting 27 to 28 before. How do guys who have Brock's Stage 1 and 2 kits compare ?

I am willing to bet 18 - 20 mpg depending on how you ride.

Rhody...
Stage 2 here. I was more paying attention to my NAV. but remembered your post while out today on the highway I reset my avg mpg a couple of times to get an idea of what I was getting. 22.5mpg AVG. sounds pretty low, even riding moderately hard only I was getting about that but when mixed in with a regular riding pace when I had to slow down & ride at regular 10-15mph over posted highway speeds the mpg climbs into the high 30s, 40s + and kept avg higher, like 28-30. I could easily get it under 22mpg avg but only during short stints when I'm really on her without any normal/easy throttle at all. On my trip home from the destination, cold day (45F/cold tires) 50 miles total, about 5 miles of slow riding, side streets, rest highway 5th & 6th 60-90mph only got on her slightly twice to 145, I forgot about the avg mpg button and looked when I got home and it was at 29 avg.

Maybe since you just got the tune you're feelin her out more vs. how fast she was before, you know much more open throttle riding. Or maybe you just like riding her like you stole it 24/7.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"After last fill up fuel warning light came on at 69 miles. Haven't filled up yet, but assume mileage will be worse than last time"..it's a 4.5 gallon tank.How the heck you manage to get this?That sounds almost impossible.If I'm on the gas hard...she shows around 16-19 mpg(possibly less).If you're getting this just cruising...SOMETHING is not right.

I don't ride mine in 'avg' mode.Current only.This shows me what combos are best for mileage.When new...untouched...she was getting 29'avg' mpg.The last 'avg' readout was 34 mpg.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"After last fill up fuel warning light came on at 69 miles. Haven't filled up yet, but assume mileage will be worse than last time"..it's a 4.5 gallon tank.How the heck you manage to get this?That sounds almost impossible.If I'm on the gas hard...she shows around 16-19 mpg(possibly less).If you're getting this just cruising...SOMETHING is not right.

I don't ride mine in 'avg' mode.Current only.This shows me what combos are best for mileage.When new...untouched...she was getting 29'avg' mpg.The last 'avg' readout was 34 mpg.

I know, my tuning guy is MIA until December so there is no way to tell for sure, you are correct the numbers don't add up. One thing is for sure though, the mileage didn't go into the ditch before the power commander and remapping was done. I will get to the bottom of this.

Rhody...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mileage indicator on the H2's dash says 22.3 mpg, but I filled up at 69.8 miles, 3.5 gallons, and the mileage was 19.9 mpg. So much for accurate electronics to measure fuel consumption. In the winter in the Northeast where I live the gas mixture changes and I get less mileage, like 1 or 2 mpg in my truck, but it is too early for the switch over.

Rhody...

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Stage 2 here. I was more paying attention to my NAV. but remembered your post while out today on the highway I reset my avg mpg a couple of times to get an idea of what I was getting. 22.5mpg AVG. sounds pretty low, even riding moderately hard only I was getting about that but when mixed in with a regular riding pace when I had to slow down & ride at regular 10-15mph over posted highway speeds the mpg climbs into the high 30s, 40s + and kept avg higher, like 28-30. I could easily get it under 22mpg avg but only during short stints when I'm really on her without any normal/easy throttle at all. On my trip home from the destination, cold day (45F/cold tires) 50 miles total, about 5 miles of slow riding, side streets, rest highway 5th & 6th 60-90mph only got on her slightly twice to 145, I forgot about the avg mpg button and looked when I got home and it was at 29 avg.

Maybe since you just got the tune you're feelin her out more vs. how fast she was before, you know much more open throttle riding. Or maybe you just like riding her like you stole it 24/7.
STRADALE,

If I remember correctly, you are running our Pump Gas Street map - so that sounds about right. We do try to keep the fuel mileage in check (similar to OEM), but also provide plenty of fuel for high speed operation at all throttle openings. The good news is, we could send you a more fuel efficient map, via e-mail, to download in a minute or two. No charge, for as long as you own your exhaust. That's just one more reason we like to tune the fuel system with the PCV, you simply cannot have a similar degree of flexibility via ecu tuning.

Brock

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
STRADALE,

If I remember correctly, you are running our Pump Gas Street map - so that sounds about right. We do try to keep the fuel mileage in check (similar to OEM), but also provide plenty of fuel for high speed operation at all throttle openings. The good news is, we could send you a more fuel efficient map, via e-mail, to download in a minute or two. No charge, for as long as you own your exhaust. That's just one more reason we like to tune the fuel system with the PCV, you simply cannot have a similar degree of flexibility via ecu tuning.

Brock
Correct. I'm completely happy just the way it is, wouldn't change a thing but thanks that's good to know. For mpg I think I'm getting just what it was stock but to be honest it's something I haven't been paying much attention to, I didn't even realize there was both an avg.mpg and current mpg till SilverbirdH2 mentioned it in this thread, when I get to that part of the settings I never really looked at what each mpg setting meant. I do remember seeing 29 avg stock & w/ stage 2 since resetting avg mpg that's what I'm still at..... I'm sure it would be in the mid to high 30s + w/ less playing around or only moderate throttle highway miles

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Perhaps having a gutted CAT, and a mild tune has something to do with it, ran through two tankfuls today, 19.2 - 19.3 mpg. I talked to the tuner, no way should the small changes he made to the map make that big a difference, and I am running a +1 tooth front sprocket on the front (19 teeth) as well, which should make the engine spin a bit more slowly at speed. The BMW on the other hand gets around 30 mpg, even though my buddy and I rode both bikes and at about the same pace.

Rhody...

P.S. Since Brock has checked in here, can you give me some idea of what fuel mileage people are getting with your Stage 1, and 2 systems.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Perhaps having a gutted CAT, and a mild tune has something to do with it, ran through two tankfuls today, 19.2 - 19.3 mpg. I talked to the tuner, no way should the small changes he made to the map make that big a difference, and I am running a +1 tooth front sprocket on the front (19 teeth) as well, which should make the engine spin a bit more slowly at speed. The BMW on the other hand gets around 30 mpg, even though my buddy and I rode both bikes and at about the same pace.

Rhody...

P.S. Since Brock has checked in here, can you give me some idea of what fuel mileage people are getting with your Stage 1, and 2 systems.

Thanks...
Rhody,

That's a question better answered by our customers.

Can you tell me more about your exact combination?: ECU, PC, Pipe, air filter etc. and then perhaps I can give you a bit of guidance on what could be going on and why.

Brock

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rhody,

That's a question better answered by our customers.

Can you tell me more about your exact combination?: ECU, PC, Pipe, air filter etc. and then perhaps I can give you a bit of guidance on what could be going on and why.

Brock
Brock,

Sure, stock air filter, Power Commander V remap, stock ECU, Akrapovic CF pipe, gutted straight through CAT that's about it.

See dyno sheets below:

Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot

Picture of the bike, pipe...
Screenshot by Lightshot

Thanks again...

Rhody...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts