Ninja H2 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how the "gas gauge" works?
Why they can't have a simple graphic that shows gas level left in the tank is beyond me. The numbers were going up today after I filled up and rode 50 miles. The manual is hopelessly unclear.

·
Registered
867 Posts
U rest set it at the fill up and it tells you how much you've used. I think the tank is 4.6 gallons so when you at 3.8 you had better start looking for fuel....

Reactions: ben1000z

·
Registered
331 Posts
I looked in the service manual and don't see a sending unit in the fuel tank. I think ECU is doing averaging calculations. On the fuel pump there is a protrusion that may be a digital low level sensor. I don't think there's a gas gauge cause it takes up real estate on the LCD. they chose to use digits that can be reused with other values like temps.

I think how it works is that the ECU calculates the duty cycle of the injectors over time for estimated usage. If/when the low fuel sensor becomes exposed the ECU sees this and adjust a correction factor for future calculations. Doing this will allow the ECU calculations to become more accurate over time and also adapt to additional fuel controllers (PCV). On my C14 I added a PCV and auto-tune and the MPG seems to display correctly after it dialed in.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dunno why I didn't think of that SilverbirdH2. I haven't reset the gallons used since getting the bike, I've been watching gas by miles. Was blasting around again today and kinda crazy but only got 89 miles from fill up (right at the bottom of filler neck) to Fuel light.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
LOL...yep..fill...reset(hold button down in "gals" display...0.0),then you'll see how much you're using on a given ride(it'll start climbing as you ride).I usually have it displaying 'current' for fuel consumption.Gives me a good way to actually adjust my riding to get the max.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I don't bother with it. I reset one of the trip meters when I fill up and keep an eye on that.

With the ZZR1400 (ZX14R) I found the 'remaining range' indication to be the most useful because this is what you will be working out in your mind from any other information. Also the instantaneous mpg was fun, especially seeing it go down to single figures at an LSR meeting. Which explains why after half-a-dozen passes on the two mile runway it could get through a whole tank of fuel. I hate to think what the H2's consumption will be at a meeting - but I'm going to find out - soon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
so under reasonable, or 'normal' riding conditions what kind of mileage are you guys seeing? I say 'normal' simply because this bike seems to be a new normal aha

·
Registered
168 Posts
so under reasonable, or 'normal' riding conditions what kind of mileage are you guys seeing? I say 'normal' simply because this bike seems to be a new normal aha
For some normal may be driving around town, but for others normal may be going out to a race track for the day. It's probably good for people to be specific about what their riding habits are in answering this question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help; most appreciated. I will top it off today, reset the "gal. consumption" gauge or whatever it should be called, and see if the numbers make sense to me in a way I can use.
I always use the trip meter mileage to roughly calculate distance to empty. My other bikes are a ZX14r and a 1985 highly modified FJ1100 (now 1400cc). The bigger tanks on those bike, and their better mileage) make the H2 seem like it always empty. Honestly the H2 seems to get no more than 30 mpg tops in fun street/highway riding.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the low fuel alarm comes on with about 3 litres left in the tank.. the good thing about the consumed meter, is that its accurate.. going by kilometres, or miles varies based on how you've been riding.. The bike telling me that I've used 13 litres is gonna be the same whether i flog it non stop or ride slow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I looked in the service manual and don't see a sending unit in the fuel tank. I think ECU is doing averaging calculations....
I think how it works is that the ECU calculates the duty cycle of the injectors over time for estimated usage. If/when the low fuel sensor becomes exposed the ECU sees this and adjust a correction factor for future calculations....
You are correct about the ECU measuring fuel consumption. Every individual injector's on-time is added to a total that when multiplied by flow rate represents total fuel sprayed. Subtotals of this value measured over a fixed time and factoring in rear wheel speed can be used to calculate distance per unit fuel (MPG).

I have not seen anything in this, or any other ECU, that would suggest it can auto correct the consumption calculation for a PowerCommander or other external device that is wired between the ECU and the injectors.

BTW consumption data has been available internally in ECU for over decade but only recently been made available to the rider. I first saw it on in a 2002 Busa ECU. Maybe they still used a mechanical fuel gauge on the Busa because they knew everyone and their brother would be using a Power Commander ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I made some assumptions about ECU having corrections cause it makes sense to me programmatically and my C14 appeares to show correct MPG post modification.

Anyway for that ECU to do the calculations in the first place it wouldn't be too much harder to tie a correction factor to known events like zeroing the gauge and subsequent low lever sensor event. Maybe Ive just been around computers so long I expect every device to be clever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts