Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking off in first gear form a stop I hear kind of a rattle sound. Quickly goes away as I get moving. Anybody else notice a similar sound? Concerned it almost sounds like pinging but surely not. Have just over 300 miles so far, loving the bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have the same sound. Appears to be from the Supercharger drive chain, as a corresponding vibration can be felt on top of the blower housing.

It is most noticeable just off idle, warmed up with a quick burp of throttle.

Must say not, inpressed for a "flagship" model.:(

·
Registered
867 Posts
When taking off in first gear form a stop I hear kind of a rattle sound. Quickly goes away as I get moving. Anybody else notice a similar sound? Concerned it almost sounds like pinging but surely not. Have just over 300 miles so far, loving the bike.
I have that also....I thought it was the fairings rattling. I tighten them up but haven't ridden her again yet. I don't think its the SC chain.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've been told by my mechanic that it's the clutch. It does seem to make the noise as you let out the clutch and then goes away as the clutch is fully engaged. Don't know for sure, just was I have been told.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Interesting.Mine is smooth and noiseless as can be.You guys are letting her warm up some first,yes?Mine just starts and nicely growls.No weird mechanical noises at all...just the motor purring.Same when taking off...just a purring of the engine.My motor sounds very solid.No rattling or anything,at any speed.

When I FIRST started her...I didn't do anything with the throttle.Just let her sit and idle for about three minutes or so.And I've not sat there in idle and opened the throttle to hear that SC either.

Didn't the manual say not to do that?Thought I read that in there.PLEASE don't misread me..I'm NOT saying anyone here has done this...it's only a general comment.

When I first put her in gear...the very first time,I was paying particular attention to the gear feel.It went in tight but not harshly.After I rode her for maybe thirty miles or so,the shift feel improved.I was not hammering it at all.Once the shift feel began to ease,I started not using the clutch to shift up.This worked very well.Now she shifts VERY cleanly.Clutch or no.Did some clutchless downshifting as well on the first ride.At first,it was a bit notchy.Then it got very smooth.Probably the rpms I was shifting at.It does have a particular rpm range when downshifting that it really likes.(without clutch).Actually,I wanted to test the clutchless downshifting all the way to first from 6th.It did this fine.I didn't think it would shift at all into first from 2nd.But it did.I wasn't moving very fast,maybe 10 mph or so.She's shifting fine now.Very quick and seamless.Nothing like my 14.I noticed that the gear change (at least with mine so far)won't go into a lower gear(clutchless)until it hits a certain rpm.If it's not in that range,I was having to kinda use the ball of my foot and kinda bounce down on the lever.That didn't feel quite right to me,so I stopped doing that and just downshifted when I felt the rpms were not so high.Kinda just experimenting.(like around 4k or so)maybe less.

At this point,she goes right into first with zero clunking.She's very smooth.The bike doesn't move or anything putting her into 1st from N.And finding N is very easy now if I tap the shift arm from a slow moving 2nd gear.This trans is VERY cool.Have a bit over 200 miles right now.Oil looks darker,but not bad at all.I won't be changing it out till 600 miles.

One thing I did do at my first 'rest stop' was to adjust the levers in.I have em now where the visible plunger is just at the rubber dust seal thing when I pull the levers.Maybe it was like that to begin with...the plunger thing I mean.But having em in closer had a noticeable difference in overall shift feel and brake feel.Trying to use the clutch with the factory adjustments for whatever reason was giving me a not so smooth shiftablity.It got way better once I moved em in some.

One of my videos(a couple actually)shows me shifting into 1st from N.You can't see any abruptness at all.You can't tell it's even been shifted.Me likes this;)And there's NO noise occurring on takeoff from anything except the motor running smooth and sharp.I adjusted the throttle free play a bit as well.I left a small amount in it...but not the amount that it came with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I finally got to ride this beauty yesterday. I have a good tursting friend. I heard the noise you speak of and asked the owner (my friend) "Is this normal." He wasn't sure but he heard it the day he picked it up and drove off. I asked him how many miles were on the bike before he took delivery. He said 3.3.
I told him someone probably took it out before he ever touched it. If anybody did, the uncrate/prep mechanic did. Informed him typically, a new uncrated bike will have .8-1.5 miles on it. those are the test miles after assembly. No more than that unless there was an issue during assembly.

I think that's odd for a flagship to have such noise. He's kinda bummed about that but I told him hey, whats to expect from a 1st of it's kind limited run production bike. that's like the Porsche spyder 918. Those jokers would catch on fire and it was a limited run exotic super production car. The noise went away after fully off the clutch and hit 2k+ rpm. It would always happen once in 1st moving from a complete stop but goes away.

My question would be could something be wrong and Kawa not aware of it or did the factory inspector do something to cause this? I wonder if this issue is linked to the assembler or inspector from the factory.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hmmm..well...I'm sorry some of you are having this issue.Truly.Ride it...see how it comes out over the first several hundred miles.If it's acting like you say,something MIGHT be not right.Give her some time.I'd definitely recommend NOT trying to ride it like ya stole at first.Strong and smooth,yes...but hard and brash,I wouldn't(and haven't).

"I don't think its the SC chain"..doubt that also...it has a tensioner on there.

I think with this bike,it's gonna have to be carefully ridden at the outset...for at least half of the 1K mile break-in period.I mean,smooth operation.Nothing crazy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
SilverbirdH2, were you the 1st to ride your baby or 2nd after the prep mechanic? If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say the prep mechanic rode it like he stole it vs strong and smooth. My friend mentioned to me yesterday that the prep mechanic did mention something to the affect of ride it like you stole it. I wonder if everyone who has this noise was the 1st person to ride it or 2nd after prep mechanic. That would shed some light on this.

Also, I've been looking at a the pics of people taking delivery last night when I got home from my 1st and prob only ride on an H2 and noticed that all the pics indicate that the H2 is built with the California Emissions. I'm in TX and according the downloadable manual, the big label on the tank and the label on the swing arm indicate California emissions. His bike has those same labels. So, does this mean that all the H2's built are California Emissions Spec?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I finally got to ride this beauty yesterday. I have a good tursting friend. I heard the noise you speak of and asked the owner (my friend) "Is this normal." He wasn't sure but he heard it the day he picked it up and drove off. I asked him how many miles were on the bike before he took delivery. He said 3.3.
I told him someone probably took it out before he ever touched it. If anybody did, the uncrate/prep mechanic did. Informed him typically, a new uncrated bike will have .8-1.5 miles on it. those are the test miles after assembly. No more than that unless there was an issue during assembly.

I think that's odd for a flagship to have such noise. He's kinda bummed about that but I told him hey, whats to expect from a 1st of it's kind limited run production bike. that's like the Porsche spyder 918. Those jokers would catch on fire and it was a limited run exotic super production car. The noise went away after fully off the clutch and hit 2k+ rpm. It would always happen once in 1st moving from a complete stop but goes away.

My question would be could something be wrong and Kawa not aware of it or did the factory inspector do something to cause this? I wonder if this issue is linked to the assembler or inspector from the factory.
there's nothing wrong with it man a bunch of them do it. Mine makes a noise when you take off from a light until the clutch is all the way out then nothing. its just clutch chatter. no worries man.....

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"SilverbirdH2, were you the 1st to ride your baby or 2nd after the prep mechanic?"...I was the first to start it and ride it.The ONLY prep a dealer would do is the battery(unless of course there was an agreement to allow someone to ride it and/or clean it(which mine didn't need).I told em,I have a shorai going in,so they didn't bother doing that.Otherwise,it was all assembled with fluids...no fuel.

Somefun has it down...that noise is nothin really..mine was noise free...but some may be a bit different at first.I had no clutch noises at any time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have owned 31 Kawasaki's, the only noise that resembles this is a bad cam chain/tensioner, of which Kawi has had their fair share of issues.

If you put your finger on the supercharger housing beside the chain tensioner, give it a quick burp of throttle (the engine stumbles slightly), you can actually feel the vibration in sync with the rattle.

When pulling away from a stop you hear the same noise making it sound like the clutch. I personally have never had a Kawasaki clutch sound like a rattle, more of a dry squeal at times...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have owned 31 Kawasaki's, the only noise that resembles this is a bad cam chain/tensioner, of which Kawi has had their fair share of issues.

If you put your finger on the supercharger housing beside the chain tensioner, give it a quick burp of throttle (the engine stumbles slightly), you can actually feel the vibration in sync with the rattle.

When pulling away from a stop you hear the same noise making it sound like the clutch. I personally have never had a Kawasaki clutch sound like a rattle, more of a dry squeal at times...
Have you brought the matter to the attention of your Dealer yet?

·
Registered
173 Posts
SilverbirdH2, were you the 1st to ride your baby or 2nd after the prep mechanic? If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say the prep mechanic rode it like he stole it vs strong and smooth. My friend mentioned to me yesterday that the prep mechanic did mention something to the affect of ride it like you stole it. I wonder if everyone who has this noise was the 1st person to ride it or 2nd after prep mechanic. That would shed some light on this
I wont have this problem as I am getting my bike tomorrow and I am getting it in the crate and I will uncrate and prep it myself. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
there's nothing wrong with it man a bunch of them do it. Mine makes a noise when you take off from a light until the clutch is all the way out then nothing. its just clutch chatter. no worries man.....

I agree, it is just some clutch noise. It was the first thing I noticed when I rode mine for the first time. I took my second ride last night and my bike now has 230 miles on it. I was being especially careful my first ride out and was letting the clutch out very slowly. I am now much more comfortable with the bike and am not letting the clutch out nearly as slowly as I was the first ride. I really don't believe there is anything wrong. It is just the sound they make. Besides, I cringe every time hear one of those Ducati dry clutches. I seem to think surely there is something wrong with that. But, no that is how they sound.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree, it is just some clutch noise. It was the first thing I noticed when I rode mine for the first time. I took my second ride last night and my bike now has 230 miles on it. I was being especially careful my first ride out and was letting the clutch out very slowly. I am now much more comfortable with the bike and am not letting the clutch out nearly as slowly as I was the first ride. I really don't believe there is anything wrong. It is just the sound they make. Besides, I cringe every time hear one of those Ducati dry clutches. I seem to think surely there is something wrong with that. But, no that is how they sound.
Definitely agree with this, I had the same noise at first with mine and wondered what it was. But now i'm more used to the hydraulic clutch and I can 'feel it in' a lot better ...... it's not an issue.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts