Ninja H2 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay.So here's what I have.The stock tank holds 4.5 gals.
My 'fuel' lamp comes on at 2.9 gals used.
I stopped shortly after that and fueled up.It took 3.9 gals.

The problem is obvious...BIG discrepancy between the lamp coming on and what's actually in there.

It did this a week ago and I assumed it had plenty still,so I kept going.Maybe 10 miles.I think less though.It ran out of fuel.

If I remember correctly,it used to start flashing at 3.9 gals 'used'(on the display).So I never worried about not being able to get to the next station.It just started doing this this new year...a month maybe less ago.Up to then,it read the correct fuel amount.

I top it off,then zero the gals menu.

Anyone have ANY idea what this might be?The bike is lowered in the front by 1/2 inch...but it was always fine that way before.
Thanks all for any input...it's totally not making sense that a reading of '2.9' gals used would allow a 3.9 gal fuel up.It should have only taken like less than 2 gals.Right?Bumming me out.

I think last week it was showing 3.6 gals used when the lamp came on and the display flashed 'fuel'.It ran out seemingly very quickly after that.I'm getting approx 35-45 MPG.No way is it gonna run out in 10 miles at 1.4 gals left in the tank.Cruising at 'eco' speeds and rpms.
I don't smell any fuel vapors like a leak or anything.Nothing dripping anywhere.

It was tempting to see how long(miles)it would run with that 2.9 gal(used) amount in there.But I didn't want to get stuck like I did before.Why would it 'suddenly' start alerting at '3' gals used?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Probably faulty sensor in the tank or a connector. Check the ground as the sensor goes from pin 25 of the gauge unit through the sensor to ground. A change in resistance other than fuel will give a false reading.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Only thing I could find in the manual was 'Fuel Reserve Switch' located under the seat(the connection plug).Page 16-98.Pretty sure the issue is with that switch.
The manual says if the 'switch' is bad,replace the fuel pump.So is this switch a mechanical item fitted inside the pump?I'm guessing the 'fuel level' readings are coming from this switch.If so,could adding a fuel cleaner to the tank clean this thing up?It's actually still reading,but it's not correct.You mentioned 'pin 25'.Where is that at the gauge cluster?

To go back to the lowered front end.Would this cause a faulty fuel level read with the sensor?1/2 inch isn't much.It worked fine with that up til maybe a month or so back.Obviously it's possible for it to just go bad.Wonder if anyone else has had this happen?Ever heard of this before?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay.I looked on a parts diagram of the fuel pump.There's a filter in there separate.IF that was clogging somehow,could that give a false read do you think?Thank you Rick.

Since this has started occurring over a month or so,would that indicate a gradual change in 'fuel level readings'(reserve amount)?The reserve indicator lamp started doing this last year in the fall.So it's been doing this over time..Today was the first time it came on at 2.9 'gals used'.Before,it was coming on at about 3.9...which actually was low at that time.I remember it coming on at 4.0 before all this started.Previous years of riding.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
IIRC (haven't ridden mine since last year) if I fill mine up when the light comes on, it takes about 14 litres (about 3.7 US gallons) - it's possible that the light comes on a smidge before that - and it's a 17 litre tank (about 4.5 US gallons).

The filter won't have anything to do with the level sensor.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank!Yep.Mine was like that before as well.It just suddenly began coming on at 2.9 gals used.Hate to say it,but I ordered a new pump.Oh well,things don't last forever.Sa'll good.Thanks for your reply.Appreciate that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 25 pin is on the cluster. The sensor should be easy to check as it goes from the cluster through the sensor to Ground. When fuel covers it the resistance is different from being uncovered. So you may have a bad ground of dirty connector, check these.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay.Checked according to manual.The lamp lit up on the tester.Bad switch.So I trust my new pump will resolve this deal.Hasn't arrived yet,but next week most likely.Hope you're all getting some great rides in...and thanks again for the advices.Much appreciated.Will post up again on this when I get er installed...have a great day ya'll;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts