Ninja H2 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had to strip her down to her bones and remove the forks cause I found that my right fork seal was leaking from my last outing at Chuck Walla. Not entirely sure why it blew, but it was REALLY sandy/windy those days in the desert and I was working on hard/late braking in the turns to the point the ABS was kicking in, so sand on the seals probably did it. Next time I'll wipe clean the forks after every session if it's that windy. Anyway my mechanic put in SKF fork seals, they are said to be the best.

Reactions: STRADALE

·
Registered
702 Posts
Cool!

I had mine apart today too. I reseated the Vandemon headers to be 100% sure that I didn't have a leak.

I'm gonna try and post a video tomorrow of the bike idling. My camera doesn't do the sound justice.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool!

I had mine apart today too. I reseated the Vandemon headers to be 100% sure that I didn't have a leak..
when you installed your ti pipes did you use new header gaskets? if not is that why you had a leak? that happened to me when I put the stock exhaust back on my zx10, had to redo it.

looking forward to hearing your pipe.

·
Registered
702 Posts
when you installed your ti pipes did you use new header gaskets? if not is that why you had a leak? that happened to me when I put the stock exhaust back on my zx10, had to redo it.

looking forward to hearing your pipe.
Yes sir. Brand new header gaskets. There was no leak that I could detect but I just wanted to double-check my work because I rushed when installing it the first time.

So far so good. I'm going to do the smoke/incense test to make sure. The bike is really loud. At idle, you can't hold a conversation next to it, and when I blipped the throttle to 5-6000rpm it actually hurt my ears. I will definitely be riding with ear plugs going forward.

I'll get up a video today but honestly, I don't think my camera will do it justice as far as the sound goes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just wondering, why did you take apart the bodywork to drop the forks? Was it just because you needed somewhere to hold the front end up with?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wondering, why did you take apart the bodywork to drop the forks? Was it just because you needed somewhere to hold the front end up with?
I removed the bodywork to remove the front fairing to more easily get to the forks. NO WAY I could have done this otherwise. Having the triple clamps fully exposed let me & my wife have full access, and even then it was a BITCH. She had 2 hands on the tube twisting while I pried open the triple clamp with a huge screwdriver. Had to do this on both sides. The reinstall was just as hard.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@racer172

Agreed, it is a lot easier when my wife uses both hands on the tube twisting it, and I also remove everything to get full access. Never needed a huge screwdriver though.

:)

NOLA.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@racer172 Never needed a huge screwdriver though.
Yeah I've dropped the K-tech forks out of my zx10 dozons of times and they just slide out. Not the same on my H2, maybe it's just my bike but the bottom clamps that I've circled in red have to be prided open to get the tubes to twist or move. It was a bitch.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
277 Posts
I removed the bodywork to remove the front fairing to more easily get to the forks. NO WAY I could have done this otherwise. Having the triple clamps fully exposed let me & my wife have full access, and even then it was a BITCH. She had 2 hands on the tube twisting while I pried open the triple clamp with a huge screwdriver. Had to do this on both sides. The reinstall was just as hard.
Dang that's bizarre. I've dropped forks on plenty of bikes and never had any that took significant effort beyond removing the front wheel/brakes and loosening/removing pinch bolts. I'm sure there's a built beyond belief joke in here somewhere...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts