Ninja H2 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took both bikes out to Chuck Walla, a relatively slow 2nd & 3rd gear track for liter bikes. Rode the 1st half of the day on the zx10 to get comfortable with the apex points & braking zones. Around lunchtime I took the H2 out and instantly felt more comfortable than I did on the 10, and I went WAY faster, 6 sec/lap faster than my best time on the zx10. The H2 just handles better for me. Go figure.
Ran Dunlop GPA race spec, medium compound and they felt great. Initially I was riding it like I do the 10 in 2nd gear winding her up 10-12,000 rpms coming out of turns but the TC was sputtering like crazy, so I went up a gear in most of those corners coming out in 3rd and got much better drives out.
Some pics below, and here’s some video footage, 1 full lap with the camera mounted on my H2 and then the rest of the footage is my buddy on his zx10 following me.

Reactions: STRADALE

·
Registered
393 Posts
cracking thread. looks fun and never heard of this track before.

cheers for sharing

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
393 Posts
to add how much do you chaps in the US pay for a trackday ?

Just interested to find out.

I found bike TD's to cost much less than Car TD's.

And yes depends on circuits but cost me around £100-160 depending on what track

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nice one

I thought when I test rode the h2 it carried it's weight well and was pleasantly surprised with the handling

Rob

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job. I told you those GPA Pros work great on the H2!!! :D
Yes you did and you were 100% correct. I bought them from Race Services, tire distributor for the MotoAmerica races. The guy told me that these race GPAs are IDENTICAL to their slicks, same compound & profile, just added cutouts in the mold to make them DOTs. These are the same tires they use in the MotoAmerica SuperStock class. Good enough to give me complete confidence. Good call Nate.

to add how much do you chaps in the US pay for a trackday ?
cheapest trackdays I do have been $129, gives you about 6 or 7 20min. sessions if you want to do that many laps. More expensive tracks are around $180 for the same. I'm going back to Chuck Walla in 2 weeks and that trackday is $195 because it is an "open track" all day, you come-n-go on the track as you please, no groups or times. There is a limit to 45 riders total and they are never all out there at the same time. This is by far the BEST trackday I've done, most of the time it's like having the track to yourself. And then when I do private instruction with Jeremy Toye I'm paying for the trackday + $750 for his fee.

Reactions: remal

·
Registered
77 Posts
NICE.. I hope you had a blast..I have been on a few, and used have used two of my other bikes as well on the same track.. The H2 is certainly fast, but found that the its a bit heavy and the brakes started to vibrate after a few session.. anyway times are comparable, but remembering that is it insane under heavy acceleration in a state line, and leaves most for dead, and also used a 3rd through the bends way smother

·
Registered
702 Posts
......but found that the its a bit heavy and the brakes started to vibrate after a few session..

True statement!!!

Also, the vibration causes premature wear of the pads. A very expensive lesson that I learned this season as I went through 2 sets of pads at about $200+ dollars a set.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to avoid this and I've gotten used to the pulsating. The good news is that it really doesn't affect your stopping distance too much.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The couple sessions I ran the H2 out there I didn't notice any braking issues, other than the rear end dancing around a bit under really strong braking, but I'm running these racing pads. They are quite expensive though, paid $360 for the set

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not sure if this is covered in other threads/posts, but I have been trawling the net and bike sites to find out how the H2 handles on the track with the ABS?

This is the first bike I have had with ABS, I understand the technology for bikes has improved over the years, but wondering if it is intrusive at all on heavy braking into slower corners from high speed on the track?

Cheers,

Don.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Haven't done a track day with this bike but I've generally found that in normal twisty-roads riding, the ABS and TC are completely unobtrusive. First bike I've had with all that, too. I had a rental BMW in Europe a few years ago which didn't have TC but it did have (older generation) ABS, and it was obnoxious.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you will not notice any issues with the ABS being obtrusive when riding the H2 on the track. I have upgraded my front brakes to the Brembo RCS19 master cylinder, Brembo full-floating rotors, and BSB race pads, I push the bike hard on the track and have had no issues with ABS pulsating or anything else, and this is braking down hard from 170mph at the end of the front straight. In other words don't think twice about it, just use the brakes as you know how. If you were a full-blown racer you would remove the ABS because a human is capable of using better braking control than a computer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
GoFaster & racer172,
thanks for the info. I had an idea the ABS is greatly improved from initial systems, and good to know I can go hard into corners on the track, especially Phillip Island coming off turn 3 - Stoner Corner - very fast one, depending on skill a gear 4, 5, or if not mere mortal 6! then hard on the brakes into turn 4 - Honda Corner - either gear 1 or 2 depending on speed entry, and the rear gets squiggly coming into it! turn 9 - MG Corner - is the other steep entry corner off Lukey Heights that has very heavy braking, and I've seen a few bikes go down there on track days when the front gets overloaded!

Don.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts