Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I collected my bike from GT Motorcycles yesterday morning and after lunch went for my first proper ride.

I managed around sixty miles, a mix of dual carriageway and country roads, including some really tight curves. Running the new engine by the book takes concentration because it really wants to go right at the point where you have to back off. Even so, on a light throttle between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm the bike is really good and very smooth. I let it spin up a little higher a few times but only on a light throttle. The UK Akrapovic end-can not only looks good but saves several kilos in weight. I put the stock end-can on the scales, it weighed 9 kilos compared to the feather-light carbon Akra' which sounds good too. Can't wait to give it some more.

My last two bikes were a ZZR1400 and a Hayabusa. Coming from these two relatively big bikes I found the H2 riding position to be much sportier and the handling felt very precise. I love the new Bridgestones too, very grippy even on cold roads. The temperature yesterday didn't get above 6°C ( about 43 fahrenheit) at higher altitude up on the moors it was even colder and the roads were mucky but the bike was great.

I thought the LCD display was hard to read when riding into the sun. It was on setting 1, the brightest but not always easy to see, plus the fact that it's not really in the eye line when watching the road ahead.

The clutch felt quite heavy. Surprising for a Brembo set-up. My Hayabusa had a Brembo clutch master-cylinder and it was really light. I expect I need to toughen up a bit. It'll come with more seat time.

First impressions - brilliant.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Beautiful...just great!Good write up.I'm happy for ya!;)I think someone else mentioned about the clutch pull as well...no big deal however.It's got the best on there....probably last for centuries!

"Coming from these two relatively big bikes I found the H2 riding position to be much sportier and the handling felt very precise"...zx14R here....can you say IF the H2 has the potential to be ridden all day then?I mean,naturally,taking coffee breaks and rest stops along the way.Does it have the smoothness of a 14?You addressed this in your above post,but can you say it IS or ISN'T as smooth?

Can you sit upright on her,and still feel comfortable?Ride her like that?I'm 6'1"...this has been my main concern throughout this whole deal.I'm guessing that the 'shorter' lengths from seat to bars would actually allow for more arm relaxing while cruising.Is this the case?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Congrats BobC!

So... you are the first on here to take delivery? >:D

I always found hydraulics to be stiffer to pull the only solution I found was to replace the slave cylinder with a smaller one. Any other niggles worthy of mentioning?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Also Bob....can you tell us how the factory suspension setting felt?Was it absorbing the road surface,or overly firm?I'm really happy yours is here for ya...have a blast....

ALRIGHT PEBS!It must be killin ya waitin for yer shift to end!Kinda like the last hour before VACATION!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome to have some first person accounts of the H2 now. Would be really cool if you could take a dash cam video or something like that. Very curious how it feels to have that much power at your finger tips.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Beautiful...just great!Good write up.I'm happy for ya!;)I think someone else mentioned about the clutch pull as well...no big deal however.It's got the best on there....probably last for centuries!

"Coming from these two relatively big bikes I found the H2 riding position to be much sportier and the handling felt very precise"...zx14R here....can you say IF the H2 has the potential to be ridden all day then?I mean,naturally,taking coffee breaks and rest stops along the way.Does it have the smoothness of a 14?You addressed this in your above post,but can you say it IS or ISN'T as smooth?

Can you sit upright on her,and still feel comfortable?Ride her like that?I'm 6'1"...this has been my main concern throughout this whole deal.I'm guessing that the 'shorter' lengths from seat to bars would actually allow for more arm relaxing while cruising.Is this the case?
I think it is as smooth as the 14 and certainly sounds better, not so much mechanical clatter and the supercharger adds a little something of its own.

Upright? I would say no. You are more head down with weight on your arms, especially if you move back on the seat, which is very roomy, also the seat to footrest distance feels shorter. I would say not as easy to ride all day as the 14. However, I've owned a bunch of sports bikes, Fireblade, RSV4, GSX-R1000 and even a Ducati 900SS and you do get used to the position. When I swapped the Ducati for an early GSX-R1100 someone said "you won't like that" but it was like an armchair by comparison. Just depends where you're coming from. I wouldn't ride it all day without a few breaks but you would be stopping every 120 miles or so to fill the tank. I felt the need to stretch my left leg a couple of times and un-cramp my knee. I just need more seat time.

Also Bob....can you tell us how the factory suspension setting felt?Was it absorbing the road surface,or overly firm?I'm really happy yours is here for ya...have a blast....

ALRIGHT PEBS!It must be killin ya waitin for yer shift to end!Kinda like the last hour before VACATION!
I haven't even touched the suspension yet. It felt firm but in a good way. Some of the roads yesterday were not smooth but the bike was fine. It coped with the bumps and undulations, the pre-load and damping was spot-on for my thirteen and a half stone. I think softening it would ruin the bike so I'm leaving it as it is for now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm not sure of your heft bob but as you get comfortable and push it you may want to tighten things up a tad. I like a slightly harsh ride most of the time so it's there when I get spirited.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My main use for the H2 will be LSR, standing-start miles, so firm is fine.

I'm hoping to beat the 203 I did on my 14R.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My H2 is sitting outside the shop, the tank is full of fuel, I've got the keys in my pocket and I finish work in an hour ...........

I'll let you know what I think later !

:D:D:D:D:D
A bit of background for those of you that don't know me (probably all of you !)

I'm 50, been riding bikes since I was 16, spent a few years drag racing in the late 80's on street bikes capable of running 9 second runs. Since 2003 I've been in the bike trade and have had access to all sorts of top end bikes including pretty much all of the top sports bikes.

I've been out on my H2 this evening - 30 miles on the clock.

Holy F*ck - I've never experienced acceleration like it (and that's without giving it full throttle). Handling feels spot on after allowing for a cool evening and brand new tyres. Ergonomics are great for me. This is going to be one heck of a bike once I get used to it.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Turn in on the bridgestones is great. Motor is fantastic given that in my 10 mile ride home I never got past quarter throttle or 75mph. Pulling the trigger on the throttle is going to be eye opening - I can already tell.

Shifting on my bike seemed a little rough. Not sure if it's slop in shifter mechanism or something in the quick shifter. I haven't read the manual yet on the quick shifter but hard higher rpm shifts (still in break in, so high is 5k) seemed fine.

Light load low rpm shifts seemed to miss very frequently. Will have to look into that.

That being said, the harder I rode it, the better the bike felt over all. Suspension was taught but could use a little more rebound damping for my 270lbs. I think I like it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been a cruiser guy for 27 years - Shadows, Valkyrie, Stratoliner. This is my first sports bike - the acceleration is insane. I definitely need to get used to the grip the clutch requires. Great ride - going back out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Turn in on the bridgestones is great. Motor is fantastic given that in my 10 mile ride home I never got past quarter throttle or 75mph. Pulling the trigger on the throttle is going to be eye opening - I can already tell.

Shifting on my bike seemed a little rough. Not sure if it's slop in shifter mechanism or something in the quick shifter. I haven't read the manual yet on the quick shifter but hard higher rpm shifts (still in break in, so high is 5k) seemed fine.

Light load low rpm shifts seemed to miss very frequently. Will have to look into that.

That being said, the harder I rode it, the better the bike felt over all. Suspension was taught but could use a little more rebound damping for my 270lbs. I think I like it!
You want to pull the clutch if your foots not on its throat.. If you'd still like to use it during breakin adjust the setting to 2 (or whatever the highest setting is) imo this is a function of not enough rpm. Also you may want to avoid 1-2 qs (quickshifter) the load is severe and generally they don't like it. The qs is a real race tool and for it to work 100%, close to wot is best. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats to you guy's who have received and ridden your H2.
Personally I've haven't used the clutch for up-shifting for over 15 years now.All my bikes shift like butter.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats to you guy's who have received and ridden your H2.
Personally I've haven't used the clutch for up-shifting for over 15 years now.All my bikes shift like butter.
I mostly upshift without the clutch too and the H2 gearbox is just fine, even at very low miles. It feels like a quality gearbox.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts