Ninja H2 banner

Fairing Removal

10K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  racer172 
#1 ·
I dropped my bike off to be paint wrapped yesterday. I removed all the panels I could for them but I could not figure out how to remove the side faring panels, the connection to the inner plastic panel & hoses eluded me. I did a search for faring removal here and on YouTube as well but came up with nothing. I need to learn how to get these off when needed, anyone have an instructional link?

#2 ·
The inner fairing panels use those plastic fasteners where you have to press the center of it to make the little plastic rod slide out of the other end. Then you pull the fastener out. I don't know what they're called but don't try forcing it.

Put a little flashlight on the inner panel and you'll see the fastener. You'll see what I'm talking about when you see the center of it. You can use something small to push on it.

#3 ·
The inner fairing panels use those plastic fasteners where you have to press the center .
yeah my '13 zx10 has those and I'm an expert with swapping stock fairings for race skins on that bike, but this seemed to be a completely different animal on the H2. I will look for one of your videos later tonight.

#6 · (Edited)
, or removing the panel itself from the bike?
I just remove 6-8 screws and it comes off
Thank you guys for your replies, this does sound simple.

Let me ask this: do you separate the inner black plastic cover from the outer faring panel before you remove the outer faring from the bike, or do you remove both of them from the bike at the same time intact? That was where I ran into my road block. Bob in your pic are you holding the outer faring panel as well?

I'm sure after I've gotten through this once I'll be saying it's so simple..

#5 ·
I removed my left side fairing last night as I have a replacement for the damaged one and took about 5 mins.

As said remove bolts and allen key nuts. clip to remove the 2 wires on the left side for with a small flat blade screwdriver and it's off. I have replaced the black inside of the fairing as this was damaged as well. again just remove 6-8 screws and it comes off

Reactions: racer172
#8 ·
you cannot remove the inner until you have removed the fairing and the 2 plugs. then unscrew the inner fairing . quiet straightforward

Reactions: racer172
#10 ·
A few pics .
thanks for the images. I'll dig into it after I get my bike bake from the paint wrap, should be today.

#11 ·
For those members that helped me, just wanted to follow up with I got it done last night :eek:
Reason for faring removal was Cox radiator guard install.

Reactions: remal
#14 ·
how did you find taking it apart ?
Not too bad, I'm more than willing to spend the time it takes to properly maintenance & clean the bike. But these fairings are way more difficult to remove than the zx10 fairings, mainly because the H2 has those inner panels and the complication of the power regulator and coolant catch bottle. I wasn't able to unplug the power regulator connections so I had to remove the outer fairing from the inner panel, then I was able to remove the power regulator from the panel and just let it hang on the side of the bike. Once it was off I should have taken a closer look at those quick release clips for next time..

The radiator guard looks smart. Do you know how much it restricts air-flow? Looking at the mesh it must be 25% at least.
I don't think it restricts air flow much at all. I did a hard canyon ride yesterday and never had a temp issue, and I was monitoring temp at the end of my ride at stop lights. The Cox radiator guard was the first mod I did to my zx10r as well and never had air flow/temp issues, I have over 10k miles on her and the soft radiator vents have stayed very well protected. I would highly recommend it. Also you would be surprised at how light this aluminum piece is.

Reactions: BobC
#15 ·
Got her stripped down today..
If anybody wants me to take a close up pic of any area while the fairings are off let me know now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.