Ninja H2 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I have put on the Evotech Tail Tidy, I have been chewing through turn signals. I've had to replace the left once twice, and today the right one died. A $125 OEM part, this starts to add up. All 3 times, I can hear something has come loose inside. I cracked the last two open and it is a resistor on the circuit board that holds the LEDs (both times). Somehow the design of the Evotech fender eliminator kit allows too much vibration from the chassis to come through, enough to weaken and eventually break the soldered connection of the resistor on the PCB.
It would be trivial to replace the resistor but unfortunately the turn signal is glued together. It is impossible to get to the circuit board without cracking open the housing.

I've ordered the new tail kit from Yoshimura, hopefully that one is better. If not, I'll just have to go back to the long OEM fender.

·
Registered
104 Posts
very strange... I just purchased it and will install it in a few days... will try to pay attention.

The thing I see now, is the OEM fender will in any case INCREASE vibrations, because is extremelly rigid and is longer, so vibration is amplified... a shorter fender (and still rigid) will lower the vibration amplitud for sure...

I can not imagine how any fender (OEM or AM) can modify the frequency....

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't know the reason but the same is happened to me. Left blinker broke with something dangling inside. I replaced both blinkers with rizoma parts and no more issues.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have only done around 800 miles since fitting mine and no problems as yet , I live up a bumpy lane and have to use a few miles of country roads before I get to smoother A roads .
Keeping the standard indicators was important to me as to my eye they look good so hopefully I won't have the problems you have experienced .

·
Registered
211 Posts
In Virginia, turn signals are not a requirement to pass inspection. (Hand signals are the replacement)

Here is what I use, $39.99 shipped, off of eBay:

They also offer a model for $10 more, that uses small, aftermarket turn signals, and includes a light for the license plate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have only a couple hundred miles on mine but now I'm concerned, honestly I didn't mind the diving board stock fender too much for some reason..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Also got evotech, I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion the tail tidy is causing this problem? Have you put your original tail piece back on for a few miles to test? Why only evotech and not others? I got the evotech because it appears much better quality than others. I have no problem yet but I have only done 60 miles so my input at this time is irrelevant

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is probably some kind of resonance, the metal arm on the kit has some natural frequency that could match one from the engine at highway speeds or something like that.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
7000 miles w/ the Evotech tail tidy, haven't had an issue w/ turn signals and I live in NY & often travel around/through the city. Not sure how there would be more vibration vs oem but obviously something is wrong, good luck sorting it out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My exhaust melted the back of one of my signals. I opened it up and the circuit board looks very basic. The components are surface mounted and are not epoxied down. That power resistor has a lot of mass and I could see how vibration combined with heating/cooling cycles could compromise the solder joint holding it on.

In picture of that tidy the standoffs look aluminum if they are torqued tightly the vibrations will pass thru. Maybe try adding some neoprene or nylon washers and less torque on the retainers with loktite.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If the turn signal mounted to the metal bracket of the tail tidy is more rigid than when it's mounted to the long plastic standard tailpiece it's entirely possible that bad vibes could cause a problem. First I've heard of it though.

I just remove the whole thing for LSR, four bolts and three plugs, takes about five minutes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If the turn signal mounted to the metal bracket of the tail tidy is more rigid than when it's mounted to the long plastic standard tailpiece it's entirely possible that bad vibes could cause a problem. First I've heard of it though.

I just remove the whole thing for LSR, four bolts and three plugs, takes about five minutes.
Dunno Bob, maybe, (the Evotech tail is aluminum) the oem tail is mostly steel and the area where the indicators are mounted are rubber so don't really see how mounting rubber to aluminum vs steel & hard plastic is going to make a difference in vibration of the turn signal but anything is possible I guess. If that were the case where there's an inherent design flaw & it's just eating them up one after the other, 3 in a row in pieter3ds case, you'd think it would be happening to a lot of people. I guess we'll give the thread more time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As said before I also have the evotech tail and my turn signal has gone in the exact same way of pieter3ds.So it's not an isolate case.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The OEM tail is longer, has more mass and has elastomer bits all working to dampen vibrational resonances. If you make it short and stout you lose some of that damping and the lights just aren't up to it. If you don't want to bin the tidy try Isolating it better.

FWIW,
When I opened up my light I squeezed it on the sides where its glued together and it just popped open like a walnut. the lens cleanly broke away from the black plastic back. I think they went very light on the cement holding it together and it could probably be chemically fused back together giving you a shot at repairing them if you use the right approach.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Took my tail lights off. **** those alien looking things. I would love to see an integrated tail light mod similar to the panigale..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Yoshimura kit arrived today, but I decided against putting it on because it is even shorter than the evotech so zero wet road spray protection, and there is absolutely no thought given to wiring protection, it is all just exposed and would flap around in the wind. I ended up just putting the stock fender back on. At least the turn signals won't keep dying on me anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts