Ninja H2 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I had a Yamaha FS1E , it was not fast enough so i ported it out . I brought a Yamaha 250 LC it was not fast enough so I ported it, removed the air box and then brought a 350 version , it was not fast enough .
I brought a Honda CBX 1000 , it was not fast enough so I brought another one with a turbo charger , it was still not fast enough ( but quicker than just about anything else at the time ) . I brought a FZR 1000 it was not quick enough so I cut out the rubber restrictors out the inlet ports , it was not enough ( can you see where this is going ? )
I brought a Bimota V Due 500 cc two stroke , it was not fast enough so I had it set up and fitted a set of expansion chambers , guess what ? yep , not fast enough
I brought two Yamaha R1s , they were nippy but not fast enough so I brought a KAWASAKI H2 ! Well here is my question , do I need more power ?
I entered a short slip road today and waited for a car doing around 70 MPH to pass , I opened up the H2 and it reared up in 1st ( obviously ) i changed into second and up again while rapidly gaining on the car than had passed me seconds earlier , I changed into third and passed it on the back wheel but had to back off a little as it was climbing too high , into fourth and it shook its head like a Great White feeding as the front tyre was skimming the road surface for the next hundred or so yards .
Do I really need to flash the ECU on this thing ? Yes it possibly would have lifted it fourth with even more power but Jesus this thing I think is at long last fast enough ! Or is it ?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Looks like you need more control of the power
On my turbo busa roadbike the power is staged by gear , gaining ~ 20hp per gear with ~340hp in top gear
gives me similar thrust in each gear and makes it easy to ride

maybe that sort of thing is the next step , making all the extra power usable , traction control is only a start of it
As my LSR H2 buiild is going to be standalone its pretty open to make any control i want , be it electric throttle to even venting excess pressure

Maybe there is something Guhl can do ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too was thinking this bike is just the right balance of power to weight and really don't need more. Having owned many 1000cc sport bikes with mods but this bike is on another level in stock form, I already ordered the Brocks full system, pcv and ecu I was thinking of leaving the ecu stock and seeing what just the full exhaust, air filter and pcv feel like. Might just be enough.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
For my own riding ability stage II isn't "needed" for 1st or 2nd gear, the stock H2 was fast enough. But I also don't spend a huge amount of time exploiting standing starts. Doesn't mean that I don't love the way the bike pulls now in 2nd w/ the flash but I wouldn't say that's where the bread is buttered. The vast majority of time and miles that I do are on the highway, parkways etc. Probably 90% of the time I spend riding & 90% of the miles I cover is in 4th to 6th gear. That's where without being an expert jockey you can really use the the extra power. Do you "need" it, no but once you feel it you'll wonder why you waited. Easiest way I can describe it W/ stage II 6th feels like 5th when it was stock, flashed 5th feels like 4th stock and so on. Guys w/ a lot of riding experience w/ 1000cc, 1400cc bikes, etc.in the lower gears it's not like its unrideable, you adjust, kinda like how stock feels incredibly quick after a few thousand miles getting used to the machine. Then maybe go stage II. I put on 4K miles stock while I waited for Brock to finish the full exhaust then did the ECU, PCV, DNA, exhaust. Back then while waiting I was chompin at the bit but now I'm kinda glad I got to experience the bike stock for a short time before eliminating the bs mandated governmental restrictions, turning the bike into what Kawasaki really envisioned for us.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like you need more control of the power
On my turbo busa roadbike the power is staged by gear , gaining ~ 20hp per gear with ~340hp in top gear
gives me similar thrust in each gear and makes it easy to ride

maybe that sort of thing is the next step , making all the extra power usable , traction control is only a start of it
As my LSR H2 buiild is going to be standalone its pretty open to make any control i want , be it electric throttle to even venting excess pressure

Maybe there is something Guhl can do ?
I think for the drag strip the H2 would definitely benefit from some advanced electronic gizmos but I'm not complaining as I love the fact it's very capable of flipping in third gear at very high speed , it's what makes the bike and exactly what Kawasaki had in mind from day one .
Top riders like RG says it's very hard to get all the power down but I'm not into quarter mile times just the rush of trying to tame this thing while enjoying the bucking and trying to kill me attitude of this wild bike !

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think for the drag strip the H2 would definitely benefit from some advanced electronic gizmos but I'm not complaining as I love the fact it's very capable of flipping in third gear at very high speed , it's what makes the bike and exactly what Kawasaki had in mind from day one .
Top riders like RG says it's very hard to get all the power down but I'm not into quarter mile times just the rush of trying to tame this thing while enjoying the bucking and trying to kill me attitude of this wild bike !
I wouldn't enjoy quarters on this bike, at least not with the stock wheelbase.

Even geared up 19/42 for standing miles I can't get on full throttle in the first three gears and only with care and my weight well forward in fourth.

I'm developing a style of being smooth off the line and rolling the throttle open just so much rather than the full-blooded wheelie-popping starts that make you back off and short shift.

It seems to work and a very experienced start line marshall commented on it last Sunday when my very stock H2 went 205.63 in a mile at Elvington.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts