Ninja H2 banner

Do you plan to adjust your own drive chain slack?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the Owner Manual Kawi wants you to take your H2 to the dealer every time the drive chain slack needs to be adjusted because of the single sided swing arm. Before you protest Kawi also wants you to know via the "Ninja H2/H2R Suggested Sales Information Checklist" that all Ducati owners with similar swing arms are also required to do so.

The H2 Tool Kit does include a specialized wrench to make the adjustment yourself.

I read through the procedure in the Service Manual and it doesn't seem overly complicated. There are no WARNING or CAUTION messages just a step to confirm you didn't let the the sprockets get out of alignment.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Heck yeah I'm doin my own adjustments.As you say...the service manual clearly shows the procedure.Follow that,how can ya go wrong?This chain is gonna 'stretch' with use...especially at the first few thousand miles.It'll need to be adjusted a few times in that time frame.IDK...seems pretty straightforward to me in the manual.???

·
Registered
331 Posts
When i picked her up the chain was incredibly tight but salesman said Kawasaki was adamant it not be adjusted new and will stretch in. ...hmmmm

I think they recommend dealer do it cause there's no axle going all the way across and thus more room for a catastrophic failure to occur if a backyard mechanic gets something wrong.
... it screams CYA to me.

Reactions: shotgun15

·
Registered
88 Posts
I voted yes, but I am my dealer. I have the service manual already but I have not looked at the chain adjustment procedure yet. I have not purchased a rear stand for my bike yet. I will need to get one soon as I have 230 miles on mine now. They usually need some adjustment by the time the first service comes around.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When i picked her up the chain was incredibly tight but salesman said Kawasaki was adamant it not be adjusted new and will stretch in. ...hmmmm

I think they recommend dealer do it cause there's no axle going all the way across and thus more room for a catastrophic failure to occur if a backyard mechanic gets something wrong.
... it screams CYA to me.
I also mentioned the tightness of the chain to my Dealer,and was told the same as you.Kawi have set it tight and it will stretch.I have full trust in my dealer.
He knows that I know almost as much about mechanics than he does,and he showed me how to adjust it if I wanted.
The cap must always be flush when your done was the main point.I'll still probably let him do it first and watch him do it.He's had the training,he can have the liability.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I will do everything myself (even warranty job) as I always do to all my motorcycle, trucks, cars. In my area the most qualified technician are saddly not working in dealers they follow the money and it come from the mine... But I am a lucky guy as I'm a tecnician myself. If you have knowledge , experience a good toolbox and the service manual (I do) you have exactly the same tool as your dealer...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Same here regarding the tight chain from new. If someone could post the instructions from the service manual I'd be obliged , I would like to see what it says.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kawasaki did include a large spanner to adjust your chain with, it is bolted underneath your regular tool kit... almost missed seeing mine, my kids saw it... I will blame it on old man eyes... lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
My chain was too tight. @ 450 miles it still seemed tight so I loosened it to spec. It seemed taught on the side stand and when I sat on it and reached down it was very snug.

IMO - Chains do not really stretch, and I challenge anyone on the notion that a chains 10K PSI side plates stretch at all. An over-tight chain will wear the link pins and bushings needlessly and you will see this wear as "stretch". Once stretched the tolerance between link rollers and sprocket tooth centers changes and extra friction and wear begins in that interface. Anyone that has seen an old sprocket that looks like shark fins is seeing the chain rollers rounding off the sprocket teeth due to heavy chain "stretch". Also constant tightness is bad for the output shaft bearings. I would rather loosen the chain then tighten it a few times as it wears than wear it into spec from new. Just my opinion and preference.

...watch the MotoGP super slo-mo shots and you can see the chain clearly with some slack as it has less speed robbing friction in this state.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Torque

The impression I have about all this is that the torque settings are critical and in particular not over tightening the bolts. That's why they don't want owners doing their own adjustment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Been doing Ducatis for years, so this is no biggie.

Chain had proper slack from my dealer.

Found the spanner tool under the tool bag, which is under the front seat.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I would recommend that after you tighten those clamp bolts...and go ride...you recheck again before your NEXT outing...just to be sure.Even a dab of non-permanent locktite wouldn't hurt.And make sure that sprocket is all the way against that hub in there.There should be no gap.(maybe a TEENSY TINY one)...but that's it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Much appreciated. Would you happen to have the complete service manual in PDF? Rather than handle the real thing (and grease it up), it is always preferable to print the pages you need from a PDF for the jobs you want to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts