Ninja H2 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , issue with coolant ... got the bike used with 175 miles on it ...noticed the coolant was near low mark , so I topped it up to the full mark ... after 100 miles noticed it is just above the low mark again ... any ideas .. I can see this has been discussed but there wasn't a concrete answer to what it could be ... can't visibly see any leaks ...

Both times checked when it was stone cold

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"so I topped it up to the full mark ... after 100 miles noticed it is just above the low mark again"

Well,Did you check your radiator level also?I think you should fill your radiator level,then add coolant to the res.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right .. I'm an amateur mechanic ...

So just went to have a look , checked that the oil was not milky .. it is not ... which is good ..

Topped it up again just now ... this time will see if it goes down again as logically the radiator should have taken what it needed ... as don't want to take side fairing off ...

Will keep an eye on it now . But you are absolutely correct it did cross my mind that the rad could have been low .. not sure Y but it might have been .... tightened expansion bottle cap a little more this time ... will drop it off at the dealer anyway and ask them to give it a once over .

Thanks for the quick reply

"so I topped it up to the full mark ... after 100 miles noticed it is just above the low mark again"

Well,Did you check your radiator level also?I think you should fill your radiator level,then add coolant to the res.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
this from SEVERAL guys posting on a zx10 forum..."I'm just guessing my bike wasn't fully topped off at the dealer, and once I put some miles on it, some air pockets or something worked their way out and the radiator just pulled coolant from the reservoir, taking it to a low level. I filled the reservoir to the proper level and the coolant is still at that same level after about 1,100 miles."

You checked your engine oil...no prob there.So it's most likely migrating from res to rad.Those levels will change with engine load and such.The amount you're seeing with the res AFTER filling it and all,then it dropping...that's the amount your rad is needing to operate most efficient.I'd simply add that amount to the rad and then see what it does.Doesn't sound like a problem with components or anything.If it's a bit too much...it'll overflow on out.No problem(except if it gets to the rear tire;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Search is your friend !!!!....This has been rehashed before. I wrote the same thing then.

Check radiator cap first. Its deceiving when it looks like its in its fully turned position it can go 1/4 more.

NOLA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi I did search it's in my initial post . But there was nothing conclusive apart from everyone biting each other's heads off .

Checked the cap it's fine . It's more than likely the air pockets or me just not topping the rad up first ... will keep an eye on it , thanks for the response though

Search is your friend !!!!....This has been rehashed before. I wrote the same thing then.

Check radiator cap first. Its deceiving when it looks like its in its fully turned position it can go 1/4 more.

NOLA.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Also have someone sit on it (or rear stand) and keep it straight up for you, then fill it all the way, a few potential bubbles that would be elevated on the left side might come out. Ive drained and filled mine a few times this way and either I lucked out, or it maybe helped.

If you cant take a little bit of jabbing, this might not be the board for you. This is MILD compared to other boards, snowflake.

NOLA

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not about jabbing . Your just a horrible person and personally you should not be on a customer facing site .. you should be in a cage or In a zoo .

Also have someone sit on it (or rear stand) and keep it straight up for you, then fill it all the way, a few potential bubbles that would be elevated on the left side might come out. Ive drained and filled mine a few times this way and either I lucked out, or it maybe helped.

If you cant take a little bit of jabbing, this might not be the board for you. This is MILD compared to other boards, snowflake.

NOLA

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
90% of your posts end up with you winding someone up like the primate you are ... that's new name for ya PRIMATE NOLA

Oh well

It's not about jabbing . Your just a horrible person and personally you should not be on a customer facing site .. you should be in a cage or In a zoo .

NOLA

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok got to the bottom of it ...

Dealer inspected the bike :

It was apparently a faulty radiator cap and it was spilling out ever so slightly .... he hand cranked it tight but it didn't work . Replaced the cap and all good apparently.

@NOLA --- you can keep doing the sitting on the bike thing mate ... and rocking it

Cheers

Sharky

HAAAAAAAAAA !!!!.....I like that. OMG this made me laugh.

Go with it.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Glad you got that sorted Skarkman.Ya gotta admit though...NOLA WAS on the right path there.It wasn't 'closing' all the way.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
AND,I noticed that small thing myself recently when I checked my rad level.By accident really...kinda.I closed it...nice and tight.THEN,I thought,'hey,a bit more just to make sure'...yep...turned about another 1/8th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts