Ninja H2 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've had a couple instances now where it appears that I'm going through coolant. The last time I was stuck in traffic on a hot day and my heat indicator came on. It was in the middle of the window when I left. Now it's at the low line. You think maybe it got too hot and caused it to overflow? The first time was when I bought the bike. 600 miles on the odometer and when I got it home it was below the low line. Any help would be appreciated......

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's going to transfer back and forth under certain heat conditions.If there's no leak,it should be fine.New engine,it will run hotter.If it's not leaking,I wouldn't worry.You could top off the Rad..maybe some air bubbles in a line?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's going to transfer back and forth under certain heat conditions.If there's no leak,it should be fine.New engine,it will run hotter.If it's not leaking,I wouldn't worry.You could top off the Rad..maybe some air bubbles in a line?
Why does a new engine "run hotter?"

NOLA

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
EVERY one of my Kawasakis have run hotter in the first half of their breakin.Sheesh.:rolleyes:

I KNOW I'm not the only person that's had this happen to.After that initial oil change,they settled down.That's ONE of the reasons Kawasaki tells ya to follow that break-in procedure.To let things find their groove.You force it,well...'not my bike'.

The more I read your contradictions,the more I'm starting to suspect you don't even HAVE an H2.....????Calling my observations 'myth' is ,well,ignorant...IMO.

These are MY experiences with MY Kawasakis....not yours.Why do you think they recommend valve adjustments when they do?Because nothing changes with use?...When I say..'hot',I don't mean way up there.There WILL be a temp drop when switching to Full Syn oils...like it or not;)

Someone asks a question...I have a suggestion.Just like everyone else here.Take it or leave it...I aint tellin anyone ANY bad advice or whatever.Never have...never will.They're MY experiences...no one elses.:x besides,your jabs at me mean nothing.No offense.I was one of the FIRST in the US to receive my H2 in 2015.Been here since then,under a different name.I've heard a lot of stuff from the original buyers.Trust me...you don't know EVERYTHING about this bike.Sorry.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Dude seriously....You are seriously weird.

Between the "transmission break in period" and the "engine runs hotter when its breaking in"...You are the reason people shouldn't believe what they read on the internet.

You should know the radiator is a sealed pressurized system. Losing coolant is not a normal occurrence. Telling this guy that it runs hotter when its new is idiotic and makes him think everything is ok and he wont worry about it. That coolant is going somewhere. Bad radiator cap seal, cap not tight enough, blown head gasket... Something. But its not magically just moving itself around.

If you have been here since 2015, and had the first H2 then why did you have to change your screen name on here ? What was your first screen name ?

NOLA

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"Engine oil milky ?"...and this has to do with what exactly?

He said..I'm losing coolant.That doesn't mean he's leaking ANYWHERE.It means,he doesn't understand the system and how it works(well,he may,but's concerned about his now issue).No biggie.Just a little heads up for him,that's all.In case he DIDN'T understand the closed system.His level overall is probably just fine.I mentioned topping off the rad...possible air in the line(s).THAT's fine advice.

And if you think the motor and such doesn't go through initial changes...well,okay.

Silverbird H2...my original name here.Was gone for a while...the old username would not work when I returned this year...for whatever reason.

Just about everyone here has pics of their pride and joy...how about you?Your comments sound strangely familiar...you're not living in yer mom's basement are ya?I mean...who gives a **** if I type how I type?Someone with too much time on their hands.

"had the first H2"...in my state.Recieved her in March of 2015.Ordered the next day after their debut(2014).

"everything is ok and he wont worry about it"...telling him it's normal(the temps in his situation and questioning his fluid amount)is excellent advice.One less thing to be concerned about...get it?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@h2madness!

LOL....Ok, now this is good. Before I answer this, I will wait till a couple more of the mechanically inclined board members read this and explain to you what a water jacket is, how coolant circulates thru the block, and what a blown head gasket has to do with milky oil.

He did say hes loosing coolant. And I am telling YOU...THAT IS NOT NORMAL, ENGINES DON'T LOSE COOLANT !...Of ALL of my other bikes, I have NEVER, not ONCE had coolant mysteriously disappear and me have to regularly fill it !....Do you regularly fill your car up with coolant ? NO...Its a sealed pressurized system. If its low, there is a reason.

You should stop right now and go read a book on engines. You apparently dont get what goes on in an engine.

So....What was your original board name that you had when you joined ? I noticed you avoided that one.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"not ONCE had coolant mysteriously disappear and me have to regularly fill it !"...that's the point.It's PROBABLY NOT a head gasket(let's scare him some more)Ever heard of a Kawasaki head gasket failing at 600 miles?I haven't.Not with these bikes....it's most likely a transfer of coolant back and forth.Simple.Non-issue.You don't 'regularly fill it'...he didn't SAY he had to.He said it was BELOW the line.PERIOD.That pretty much says...there's more in the rad that hasn't transferred over to the res.That's all.He mentioned heat...that makes perfect sense to his 'fluid level' observation.Sheesh.

Silverbird H2...I already told ya in the previous post.You having a hard time reading are ya?Wow.
I've been to New Orleans...at no time did I ever encounter a loss in my reading skills;)

OP..."it appears that I'm going through coolant"...NOT..'I've had to fill it'.If he HAD to fill it,then yeah...head gasket possible,or a leak.Which he didn't say he had.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ok, you got it. Its prob the radiator breaking in. HEY OP, listen to h2madness! hes got it.

Sigh.

Yes my reading is poor. I am from white trash New Orleans. Glad we got that out the way. Figured out how coolant passages work yet ?

Hint....See the black circles....coolant/cylinder head

NOLA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
LOL.You needn't call yourself names...You're just fine in my book;)And yeah,I understand about water jackets and head gaskets.Just to 'get THAT outta the way'.

As far as others here posting THEIR experiences..?Nothing wrong with that.Whether ANYONE says..'it can or can't happen',doesn't change MY experiences.If I can offer something that might be of help in any way,that's how I roll.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well,that's fine and good.

If my experiences help someone else along the way,then that's what I share.There's a reason the manual says...such and such about break-ins.I used leeway breaking mine in.But there's LOTS of guys that have also experienced engine problems with bikes...which caused permanent damage.My observations about MY bikes are just that...mine.Do I care if ANYONE rebuts me?SERIOUSLY?I'm part of this forum with something to add for the new guys.NO ONE needs to have a similar observation.Nor do they HAVE to take my suggestions.'not my bike'...;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
What information does the original poster now have ?

I think you have both given reasonable advice to start with . I would say like h2madness says it could just be the level changing in the expansion tank and if it's not physically losing coolant just keep an eye on it and top it up "once " if required.
Also I don't think it's unreasonable to say a new engine runs hotter , it's the closest tolerances it's ever going to have and more friction between moving parts is created.

If it is losing coolant then Nola's advice is also valid but you need to establish if it is losing coolant. Nola , you have a gift of rubbing people up the wrong way and obviously don't court popularity but maybe just a weekend in a U.K. Finishing School (charm school) would knock the rough edges of you and maybe it would benefit your blood pressure.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nola did mention the head gasket idea.You're very right on that NOLA.I actually hadn't considered that.Milky Oil?Yep...that was a good call on that.Win Win.All good ideas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts