Ninja H2 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this was the shot early in the morning

and this was the shot after my first session

Couldn't believe it. I spent 1/2 a lap trying to get around this slow rider that was ALL over the track, unpredictably going from one side of the track to the other. I kept slamming on the brakes as he continued to cut off my front end. Finally down the back straight he was in the middle of the track and we had a right-hander coming up so I went to blow by him on the left. What did he do? swung his bike out left. I grab a hand-full of brake and drift as far left as I could with about 1 inch of track left and he kept coming over, until we collided. The point of my fairing caught under something on his fairing, thought for sure we were going down, and that was at over 100mph. BTW we were in the Advanced (A group). I went to a staff member/control rider and told him that every rider in the advanced group needs to have predictable lines, not erratic lines. He agreed. Turns out this guy had never ridden this track before...I could have told them that.. so they moved him down to the B group. Meanwhile $1,500 later...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh man...... that’s why i don’t like track days with random riders or mixed speed and skill levels ...

Fix this beast and enjoy it as usual.
For you the best

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that’s why i don’t like track days with random riders or mixed speed and skill levels ...
yeah, well the A - B - C groups are supposed to separate the skill levels, but this guy's ego placed himself in the fastest group.
I was literally inches away from tossing a $56k bike down the scrapyard.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yeah, that is the bad part about taking a nice bike to the track. A collision like this, or laying it down etc. is extremely upsetting.

I grew up as a flat tracker, it was a war, there were tire marks on my leathers most of the time and that is the way I race, a bit too aggressive, even as old as I am.
That is why no track days riding my nice bikes. Even the tiniest of scratches drives me crazy.
****, I feel bad about your bike.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why the staff let him ride in that class in the first place astounds me. The world is getting selfish 'It's all about me'.
This last weekend 1/4 mile cancelled 30 minutes before it was to start because the staff member kid was sick, no backup, no planning before hand. People were coming from very far to attend, even I rode 100km to find nobody there. So many riders had their whole day screwed because the world revolves around one person just like the on course collision, the track is his and you just interfere with his track time, how dare you. This is the new reality, get used to it, what others? 'it's about me'.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That's crappy news Racer172, only good side like you said is you didn't bin it!

I still have yet to ride on a track day at the new "The Bend" track, but maybe not till late November/December. I certainly will be keeping in the B / Intermediate group as usual, and I also try (as best I can) to avoid riders who seem to be out of their depth and all over the track, but as you have just written, even trying to safely pass them can be a hazard!

Don.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Glad you survived with just cosmetic damage to the bike. How on earth did this guy get into the advanced group?

"Stay on your line and don't weave" can't be emphasised enough on a track day. A very good friend of mine was put in hospital by a slow rider drifting across the racing line, something that's a never event and simply shouldn't have happened.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
A similar scenario turned me off track days several years ago. I stick to regional level roadracing now.

When I started doing track days (early 1990s) if you wanted to go in the advanced group, you either had to have a racing license or be known to the organiser as a competent rider. That seems to have gone out the window, and now people think they belong in the fast group because they have a fast bike even though they don't know how to ride.

Fix it up ... carry on ... could have been a lot worse ...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I dont know whats it like over the pond, here in the sunny UK, we have instructors out in the groups, one of the jobs they do is to "police" the groups, looking for various things like bad riding etiquette, riders in the wrong group etc.

There is no problem with slower riders in an advanced group, lets face it, we are all slow compared to the pros, what you do expect as you correctly say is for them to be predictable and hold a line

Rob

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I started doing track days (early 1990s) if you wanted to go in the advanced group, you either had to have a racing license or be known to the organiser as a competent rider. That seems to have gone out the window, and now people think they belong in the fast group because they have a fast bike even though they don't know how to ride..
Yeah agreed. Pretty much you only see that now at a Saturday practice for race weekend where they have laptime cutoffs for each group. At Fontana trackdays here in CA they make you carry a transponder so they can monitor your laptimes, if you are too slow they drop you down a group, or sandbagging in the slow groups they make you go up. But most trackday organizations let a rider register for whatever group he wants. To your point Brian I never had anything like this happen when riding with racers during practice.

I dont know whats it like over the pond, here in the sunny UK, we have instructors out in the groups, one of the jobs they do is to "police" the groups, looking for various things like bad riding etiquette, riders in the wrong group etc.
First of all when did the sun sun show it's face in England? :D
and yes all trackday organizations have control riders out in each session and you can spot them with yellow or orange vests over their leathers. They are usually riding slow and following groups of riders looking for someone doing something stupid. It usually takes another rider like me to complain about someone being too slow for safe conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts