Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd snoop around and see if the H2 is for me. I'm currently riding around on my starter bike, 2014 ninja 300, and it may be time for an upgrade. Still going to stick with the Kawasaki green when I do get a new one, it's beautiful. :crying:

Kawasaki forever!

Katy

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Totally fun machine.It's for you alright.Going from a 300 to this bike...yer gonna go koo koo crazy with excitement and pride owning this bike.Yes...it is beautiful.To match the performance for sure.You will NOT be disappointed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely going to change up to the H2. I sometimes struggle to keep up with my friend who rides a honda 800. Just not accelerating fast enough.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most likely going to change up to the H2. I sometimes struggle to keep up with my friend who rides a honda 800. Just not accelerating fast enough.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
you gotta be ready though man. If its just about smacking a friend around why not look at ZX10's? Easier on the wallet too!

But regardless, welcome to the boards, good people here they'll tell you anything you want to know.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just make sure that you make a decision in time. It's a limited production run, so you don't have forever to decide.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not looking to smack a friend around, just want to keep up with them on rides and on highways. Hope there's still one for me when I decide.
If you are really lucky, you may be able to find a used one. That would be a solution if you don't order a H2 in time. It may also make things a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
A 300 is fairly limited in what it can do.I get it.You do want the H2....not 10R;)(no offense 10R owners here;) ).Really,a 10R would be a good choice...it's lighter than the H2...cheaper,and apparently rides very nice?(I've never ridden a 1000 before my H2).The center of gravity on the H2 is a bit tricky if you start to tip some.Ya just have to be mindful of it.Otherwise...very nicely balanced.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There might still be a few new ones around at dealerships but ordering is currently closed. There's 2 on eBay for $25k. I'd stay away from the 3rd under bidding, the guy is looking for msrp PLUS the taxes he already paid.

If the 300 is your "starter"/ first street plus you haven't had it very long. It's a pretty steep learning curve considering the H2s size, weight & power. It's like a bottle rocket vs a cruise missile or like a sledgehammer when a ball peen would suffice but I get it. Keep in mind although the H2 is 1000cc it's more powerful than 1300 & 1400cc sport bikes. It's also heavier than most 1000cc sport bikes. Not sure your height but make sure you're comfortable, easily on the balls of both feet or better, anything less than that is not a good idea for a new rider. The Ninja 300s seat height is 30.9" & it weighs 384 lbs. The H2s seat is 32.5", weighs 524 lbs and has a hair trigger/throttle..... The riding position of the H2 is much more aggressive, w/ the bars much lower it can be more difficult to control especially when moving slow. If you decide on the H2 just take it real easy, there's 9 traction control settings that can be used to help you get used to the bike first. Plus a bunch of other safety techs like anti lock brakes, rain mode, engine braking, etc. However, IMHO, there's a bunch of great bikes that would keep up w/ your friends 800 & probably be considerd more suitable for the next step up (or even 2 or 3 steps up before getting into the H2s category) after a starter bike that would probably takes you years to figure out how to ring them out at their full performance, even in a straight line. Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well Katy, welcome to the forum! I had a lady from Kawasaki Motors call me and ask me if I wanted to buy an H2R yesterday. She said they were already built, and waiting to be shipped. So I bet there might be a chance that there are some H2s like that. If you decide to get one, stick with these guys here. They will help you all they can. This is a great, and polite forum.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Starter bike is a 2014 Ninja 300?

With the caveat that there's no way of knowing the original poster's experience level ... I'd just like to point out that it is an extremely large step between a Ninja 300 and the H2, and one that might be better taken in a series of smaller steps.

The first "big bike" that I bought was a 1994 Kawasaki ZX9R, and this was after putting 7000 km on a Honda 450 Nighthawk (that was my starter bike), then well over 100,000 km on a Ninja 750 (100-ish horsepower), *and* it was a couple of years after I started amateur roadracing.

Even with all the nannies, the H2 is still a rather intimidating bike to ride.

I still enjoy the heck out of small bikes and I have several to choose from ...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Katy apparently has sportbike experience.I've always jumped up in performance knowing I'd outgrow a lesser bike in a short time.The thing with the H2...it has the full potential to rip like a missile.It is however user friendly.Someone doesn't need to hammer it to have a great ride.I think as long as Katy can get both feet on the ground...it should be really okay.She takes it easy,learns how the bike performs,and she should be fine.As mentioned,it's got gobs of KTRC settings.Plus ABS.It is a bit top heavy.Paying attention to that,it should be okay.I doubt she's gonna get on it and open that throttle like an idiot.You wouldn't do that on any new sportbike.Well...most might not.

The factory fueling and rideability do allow for nice slow manuvering.I think it'd be a good bike for her.Only she can decide.If it feels too heavy or something,then yes,opt for a zx10 or something.Surely they'll let her sit on it to get the feel.Assuming it's at a dealer's.Perhaps she can google dealers of the H2...maybe has one close to her.She could go and check it out first.The weight for me was a good relief from my 14.Just gotta watch letting it tip when you're on it,and running slow while braking(front).It is a tad top heavy.But when moving,I don't feel that at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
in my opinion, it comes down to your mentallity.. i know some people who i would argue with them to not get a 1000cc bike.. EVER.. cause i know how they ride.. if you ride to your limitations, and understand that the bike is better than you.. you'll do alright..
if you jump on the H2 straight from a 300.. just remember that you wouldve been going full open throttle when riding.. this bike is almost NEVER fully open.. especially not in the first couple weeks.. take your time using the first 1000 mile break in period to adjust to the bike.. the rpm limit is 4k and then 6k after i think 600 miles?..
and worst case scenario. chuck the rain mode on and itll slow down how fast you can speed up.. simple.. enjoy the added benefit of full ABS, KIBS and the most sticky back wheel youve ever ridden.. lol.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Be sure and get an insurance quote before you try to buy an H2, it is $12,000 for coverage for my 19 year old son.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Moving from a 300 to the H2 is a big move and it's easy to understand why someone would want the H2 but incremental steps to work up to eventually getting the H2 might be best. But then again it all comes back to control... for all we know you could be a highly skilled and knowledgeable rider ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really good advice from everyone! I've actually hit the magical number 25 so my insurance isn't too bad. Plus I'm from Canada so for half of the year all I have to pay for is fire and theft. I have tried riding a CBR 600 but I was to short for it.

Have never done track and probably won't for a while longer but an H2 shouldn't be too much of a problem on normal rides. I won't go full throttle right off the bat after moving up from a 300 but I'll take everyone's advice into consideration and maybe move up slowly on the CC scale. Maybe by the time I'm ready for a H2 there'll be a few cheaper second hand ones.

Still going to stick around the forum and maybe cure myself of my indecisiveness by looking at everyone's gorgeous H2 pictures. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Starter bike is a 2014 Ninja 300?

With the caveat that there's no way of knowing the original poster's experience level ... I'd just like to point out that it is an extremely large step between a Ninja 300 and the H2, and one that might be better taken in a series of smaller steps.

The first "big bike" that I bought was a 1994 Kawasaki ZX9R, and this was after putting 7000 km on a Honda 450 Nighthawk (that was my starter bike), then well over 100,000 km on a Ninja 750 (100-ish horsepower), *and* it was a couple of years after I started amateur roadracing.

Even with all the nannies, the H2 is still a rather intimidating bike to ride.

I still enjoy the heck out of small bikes and I have several to choose from ...
I've heard of people on this forum doing things similar, and while I wouldn't recommend it, to each their own. As long as she rides safe I'm sure it will all work out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Katy: After having a day of riding on my bike, I thought of a couple of things. The seat is too tall for me (32 inch inseam) to get both feet on the ground. But Brock has some adjustable dog bones that will fix that. The throttle is a little sensitive. But some of the guys, and gals have fixes that they have shared. The center of gravity is a little high, so be careful when driving slow in town, like 1st gear. But just have fun!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts