Ninja H2 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put your bike on stand and check the rear wheel for side to side play like you would check the bearings on your car wheel.
I just had a scare, I did mine and it moved quite a bit. I am thinking bearings, hub and axle. Looked up the price and it is about $1000.00 to replace that stuff.
Found out is was the nut holding the rear hub had come loose.
Luckily I caught it before and damage.
Just an FYI.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There has been a previous thread on this, the nut on the right hand side of the wheel/axle, can't remember who posted first but they had to replace the parts you mentioned I think, until someone noticed it was that nut coming loose.

I check mine now as I came across it being slightly loose some time ago after reading about it. It's not an obvious place to check so can get overlooked.

Good job you found it now, especially with the amount of miles you do!

Cheers,
Don.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just checked mine, haven't had a good look at where the nut is, pn# would be great so I can look it up on an exploded view. Lots of play there, very supprized it's so bad!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check the thread started by malh2 on Augjust 28 2015 - Rear wheel Bearing, specifically post #52 by Aleib.
He has a picture of the nut that comes loose, once you take off the rear wheel you'll see it - has a circlip attached.
Mine was only slightly loose when I checked it some time ago, now I check for play on a regular basis, I always take my wheels off and take them in to get tyre changes, good time to check nuts etc.

Don.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just an update, showed the video of how I found it to the local dealer and asked him if there was a factory recall for such a serious problem and the answer was no. What's going on at KHI? this is a safety issue and if it was a car then the manufactuer would have bee all over it. Has KHI dropped the ball on this one?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So during my winter maintenance routine that included repainting some chips in my rear wheel paint and a new tire. The nut had come loose again, not near as much as before but it needed re-torqueing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think it's very interesting how this one nut keeps loosening up frequently, even after torqueing to spec.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, if only there was a product that you could apply to threads, that would, like, LOC the fastener TITE after you torqued it. Maybe something that cured quickly, anaerobically. It could even be made in different colors to denote bond strength - something like maybe BLUE for temporary locking and something more aggressive like red for permanent fasteners.

ATTENTION INVENTORS!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Was wondering if other brands have this problem, like Ducati & KTM?
Or is it that their wheels/axles fit differently anyway?

·
Registered
429 Posts
It shouldn't come loose again unles there is streach in the hub material or the threads. Measure the total length of the axle and if it gets longer and the nut loose then it's material problem and KHI is liable for a manufacturing fault.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It shouldn't come loose again unles there is streach in the hub material or the threads. Measure the total length of the axle and if it gets longer and the nut loose then it's material problem and KHI is liable for a manufacturing fault.
That is a thought. I do have the extended warranty, if is comes loose again, I will hit them up. I don't believe there is a spec for the rear axle length.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts