Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about raising the gearing, (lower numerically). The stock H2 uses 44/18 gearing and uses a 118 link chain, the H2R is 42/18 and uses 116 links. I guess my question is there enough adjustment to allow a smaller rear sprocket with the 118 chain? If not, I guess you might be able to go to a 19 front if there is enough room. The stock gearing is 44/18 (2.44), H2R is 42/18 (2.33) and with 19 on the front it is 44/19 (2.31).

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I adjusted my chain it seemed like there was a lot of adjustment available but I didn't note where it is now. I think -2 teeth is doable and wheel will also move back a tad. I like +1 in front but the wheel will have to adjust forward some maybe an inch or more difference between the 2 adjustments? May minutely help in wheelie department to adjust back?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Next question: who is making the sprockets and will Kawasaki sell an H2 owner a 42 tooth from the H2R?

I did hear that a Mk1 Hayabusa engine sprocket will fit the H2 with a little machining. I need to investigate this some more but 19/44 could be good and won't require any links removing.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I was going to leave the gearing alone but after the mods first gear is way too much and adding +2 to the rear might be nice .....

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Quick question about Vortex:

Should the H2 be using a steel sprocket because of the engine power? Upwards of 240bhp with the ECU flash.

I know they say Super Bike teams use them and they last longer than "anticipated" but how long is that?

·
Registered
867 Posts
So what are you guys wanting to install on the bike? -2 rear and leave it? also will the speed O be right after that or will it need a healer?

On my 10R you don't need to correct it because it reads off the front sprocket shaft I'm pretty sure...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quick question about Vortex:

Should the H2 be using a steel sprocket because of the engine power? Upwards of 240bhp with the ECU flash.

I know they say Super Bike teams use them and they last longer than "anticipated" but how long is that?
If you want it to last a long time, steel is always best. But aluminum will handle that power. BST wheels are equipped with aluminum Vortex, and some of those bikes have monstrous hp.

·
Registered
331 Posts
When the time comes I will go +1 in front vs -2 in rear. More teeth = less load per tooth and the larger diameter front means the links will see less angular rotation on the pins/bushings so less friction/longer life. There may be enough adjustment to make the change without pulling links.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So what are you guys wanting to install on the bike? -2 rear and leave it? also will the speed O be right after that or will it need a healer?

On my 10R you don't need to correct it because it reads off the front sprocket shaft I'm pretty sure...
If the bike has front and rear wheel speed sensors the speedo information should be from these and won't be affected by gearing changes.

I worked out some H2 gearing for the standing-miles I'll be doing based on Don Guhl's new 13,800rpm limit for the re-flash.

This is for the engine sprocket because I'm told a Mk1 Hayabusa sprocket will fit with a little machining, I have a source of these and it won't need any links taking out of the chain.

18/44 = 196
19/44 = 207
20/44 = 218

·
Registered
577 Posts
If the bike has front and rear wheel speed sensors the speedo information should be from these and won't be affected by gearing changes.

I worked out some H2 gearing for the standing-miles I'll be doing based on Don Guhl's new 13,800rpm limit for the re-flash.

This is for the engine sprocket because I'm told a Mk1 Hayabusa sprocket will fit with a little machining, I have a source of these and it won't need any links taking out of the chain.

18/44 = 196
19/44 = 207
20/44 = 218
Can you pm details - I'm interested in playing with gearing as well !

I guess you bought your H2 from GT ? If so, tell Mike that Owen from Jersey says hi !

·
Registered
867 Posts
Next question: who is making the sprockets and will Kawasaki sell an H2 owner a 42 tooth from the H2R?

I did hear that a Mk1 Hayabusa engine sprocket will fit the H2 with a little machining. I need to investigate this some more but 19/44 could be good and won't require any links removing.
Ifs front 19 becomes available i'm in......first gear is way to short with all the torque she needs more gear.....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Did Super Sprocket say when a front would be ready?

1 - 20 of 140 Posts