Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My chain was very taught when I picked it up. Dealer assured me it would "stretch in" ...well with ~500 miles it still seems too tight to me so I adjusted it a tad.

I used my motion pro shock spanner instead of digging out the one under the seat.

Its a very easy adjust, follow the tightening torque sequence from shop manual

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's good too know, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My chain was very taught when I picked it up. Dealer assured me it would "stretch in" ...well with ~500 miles it still seems too tight to me so I adjusted it a tad.

I used my motion pro shock spanner instead of digging out the one under the seat.

Its a very easy adjust, follow the tightening torque sequence from shop manual
Did you adjust it on or off the ground?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you adjust it on or off the ground?
Sorry for late reply ...I adjusted it off the ground to try my new PitBull stand. Adjusted a tiny bit to where I like it then dropped it and checked sitting on it as well. Tension seems to be pretty constant throughout suspension movement.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I change gearing & chains on my zx10 all the time for the track. I have NO IDEA where to start on the H2 for adjusting chain tension and the owner's manual is no help. Help please..

·
Registered
674 Posts
c wrench under the tool set to rotate the off centre rear wheel bearing hub
bit like a big version of the 80's chain adjustment

BTW just looked at your pics of the protective wrap, are you a professional photographer ? best pics i think i have seen of the H2

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look in PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-43 in the service manual it is very clear ...In a nutshell you loosen the 2 clamping bolts that hold the axle/bearing carrier assembly. Once loosened you can rotate the carrier to loosen or tighten the chain with the spanner. When you get the tension right tighten the clamping bolts back up. It is critical the bearing carrier is pushed all the way into the swingarm and then the specified torque sequence is followed. I always check slack again afterward both unloaded and sitting on it as zero slack is not good.

·
Registered
888 Posts
just looked at your pics of the protective wrap, are you a professional photographer ? best pics i think i have seen of the H2
thank you. I am a professional videographer, not photographer though, but I do have an eye for the lens. Those were just cell phone pics BTW. Hard bike to shoot though!

Look in PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-43 in the service manual
Yeah I need to dig into that service manual. thanks for the instructions, much appreciated

·
Registered
888 Posts
Really easy after you see the diagrams in the service manual.
I was going to say "can't all bikes be the same with adjustments etc.." but that's not why we bought the H2 is it. ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Have to agree, the adjustment is fairly straightforward. Only two critical things to remember, make sure the bearing carrier is pushed fully into the swing-arm (mentioned above) and torque the clamp bolts correctly and evenly. As you tighten one up the other will slacken, so you have to get it right and be absolutely sure not to over tighten as this could fracture the casting.

Unlike other bikes the chain adjustment will not change as you tighten up. My Hayabusa for example, I always had to set it slack as it tightened up when the axel nut was torqued. The H2 is an eccentric adjustment which means ride height will change a little according to it's position, just like my old Ducati used to.

·
Registered
888 Posts
torque the clamp bolts correctly and evenly.
Unlike other bikes the chain adjustment will not change as you tighten up.
The H2 is an eccentric adjustment which means ride height will change a little according to it's position.
Torque bolts: yeah I treated them as if they were the fork pinch bolts, same thing.

And yeah my zx10 chain will snug up a bit after I tighten things down, have to anticipate that adjustment.

eccentric adjustment: please tell me more about this.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
eccentric adjustment: please tell me more about this.

It means as you revolve the outer carrier, which is mounted in the swing arm, the inner bush, which is off-centre (i.e. eccentric) and holds the axel, moves in an orbit and this alters the chain tension.

On the H2 as you engage that big C-spanner and turn the rear hub this is what you're doing. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
888 Posts
It means as you revolve the outer carrier, which is mounted in the swing arm, the inner bush, which is off-centre (i.e. eccentric) and holds the axel, moves in an orbit and this alters the chain tension.
Great explanation.
thank you!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I assume you have to buy this tool, since i did not get a tool kit?
The big C-spanner for chain adjustment is bolted to the inside of the undertray, under the seat. Remove the seat pad and you'll be looking at it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I am used to the tool kit being in the tail section.

Thx
No problem. I guess you know that when you take the rear pad off, using the key, inside that pad is a hexagon key which fits the bolts to remove the seat. All very clever. :)

See page 92 0f the owners manual. The tool kit wallet is under the seat too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No problem. I guess you know that when you take the rear pad off, using the key, inside that pad is a hexagon key which fits the bolts to remove the seat. All very clever. :)

See page 92 0f the owners manual. The tool kit wallet is under the seat too.
I did not know that!

Thx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't loose that tool! It's over $200 from the dealer for both pieces that make up the tool.

I thought I had lost mine, but after I found out the price I looked a little harder and found it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't loose that tool! It's over $200 from the dealer for both pieces that make up the tool.

I thought I had lost mine, but after I found out the price I looked a little harder and found it.
$200!!!!!!! Are you kidding? Recently I bought a brand new unused H2 toolkit from uk eBay for around $50 Australian posted. It included the complete kit and pouch as well as another owners manual bag. I bought it so I can use the tools at home when required without having to muck around getting the underseat tools out...
I will make sure I won't lose them!
Jeffro;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts