Ninja H2 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Slowly replacing the "black bits" on the H2, looking at the rear side/seat struts that are black plastic and look quite substantial, has anyone replace theirs with carbon fibre ones as I would have thought they are a structural part of the rear assembly

I know carbon fibre is very strong and I can only presume they would be up to the job or companies woudn't be selling them

Here is the item

Cheers Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@zxrob

You arent looking at anything. I was just replying to h2madness! that not all of the manufacturers improperly represent them. That one calls them what they are "panels." (covers)

NOLA

·
Registered
587 Posts
None of those are "covers" NOLA. They all replace the piece. Tekarbon has them as well.

I installed them on my bike, and after feeling the flex it had, I removed them before even riding the bike. I do know a couple of guys that have had them for over 2 seasons.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
interesting.Yeah,I wouldn't trust em either.Not much holding those on there to begin with.CF can be brittle in some applications.It may be overall 'stronger' in a non weight bearing piece.But those bolt holes have a lot of force being applied while riding.For Carbon that is.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
None of those are "covers" NOLA. They all replace the piece. Tekarbon has them as well.

I installed them on my bike, and after feeling the flex it had, I removed them before even riding the bike. I do know a couple of guys that have had them for over 2 seasons.
Interesting, I have got a set to put on

Boosted, looking at the install ,it looks a lot of faffing about according to the service manual, did you manage to install without taking everything off the rear, do you know any shortcuts

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
587 Posts
Follow the service manual. You have no choice given where the bolts go at the back near the tail light.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Follow the service manual. You have no choice given where the bolts go at the back near the tail light.
I've got the rear bolts out, also got the swingarm mounting plate bolt out, I take it the bottom fixing of the strut (B) is on a lip on the frame tube, thats the part that dosnt want to come off

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Did you remove 'D'?All the way out?Looking at the diagram,it appears to be pretty long?(relatively speaking).(the diagram just below that pic you're showing)Looks like it goes all the way through the frame...with the nut on the other side(right side). You pulled the bolt out,right?It doesn't have anything to 'hang up' on.No lip or anything.

It's got to be that bolt from what you describe.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Any idea what the tq values are for the CF?You want to be cautious about tightening those bolts down.Probably gonna be less tq than the factory aluminum?????I'd definitely get some metal washers for those bolts.One on the left at least.Don't want to have a crack starting at the CF hole in that frame piece.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you remove 'D'?All the way out?Looking at the diagram,it appears to be pretty long?(relatively speaking).(the diagram just below that pic you're showing)Looks like it goes all the way through the frame...with the nut on the other side(right side). You pulled the bolt out,right?It doesn't have anything to 'hang up' on.No lip or anything.

It's got to be that bolt from what you describe.
Yeh, had the bolt out, got the panels off now, they were just very, very tight in there, sprayed some wd40 around them to help them out

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any idea what the tq values are for the CF?You want to be cautious about tightening those bolts down.Probably gonna be less tq than the factory aluminum?????I'd definitely get some metal washers for those bolts.One on the left at least.Don't want to have a crack starting at the CF hole in that frame piece.
Already planned on putting some washers there

Not to worried about strength of the cf, its used so widely now in multiple disciplines, as for torque values, I'll look into that

Cheers Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts