Ninja H2 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just reading through the 2017 article and it says there is a CAN coupler in the cockpit for data logging.
I am an embedded systems programmer and build hardware for communications. Been looking for an excuse to tap into a CAN system and now I have one.
Probably just use a NXP LPC11U34 since I have prototypes already built for I/0. Although the mbed NXP LPC11U24 might be easier. Hmmm.
Time for some research...seems that the NXP LPC family has all sorts of chips that support the CAN electrical interface and decode both the protocols.. Cool. Data logging here I come.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Apparently the new Kawasaki's have a lot more communication ability , not as flexable as the flashing, but more than previous, my local dealer was getting all excited about it
Good luck with the project

·
Registered
238 Posts
...it says there is a CAN coupler in the cockpit for data logging...
Yep, I had seen that too before I got my bike but there was next to no other mention from Kawasaki about it and the bloody big manual only shows how to test the CAN output and mentioned a few devices using CAN (ABS, dash etc).

With a fair bit of digging I found it under the front left cover (wrapped in foam and has a plastic cap. With a bit more digging I found it's the same as the KDS plug in the tail, minus a couple of wires.

I have a simple ODB scanner, SPTools (pic below) and it works fine in both the tail KDS plug and the "new" cockpit one (same loom at each end of the bike).

I can read live info, read errors and clear errors and I'm about to start logging info from it too (when I find somewhere to mount the datalogger!)

So yeah, knock yourself out, you can do all sorts of good stuff with that (those) plugs on the 2017+ models.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
What we will need though is a list of interesting PIDS on the CAN bus.

Kawasaki (as far as I can tell) don't disclose their specific ones so between us all we will have to try and nut them out.

After I get a scan happening in the datalogger I'll post up what I find.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What we will need though is a list of interesting PIDS on the CAN bus.

Kawasaki (as far as I can tell) don't disclose their specific ones so between us all we will have to try and nut them out.

After I get a scan happening in the datalogger I'll post up what I find.
I am wondering if there is any O2 data being converted and put on the bus. That would be very useful. Once I get the bike I can look at the each PID and glean the info, get their priorities, then determine what each one is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm sure the O2 data is on the bus, the gotcha is that Kawasaki use a narrow band sensor so not much useful data to be gleaned even if you can read it.

Far better off putting a wideband Bosch 4.9LSU in the pipe instead.
(Besides, I doubt you will keep your stock pipe for long, most people seem to ditch it pretty quick)

The AEM X series gauges use CANbus, I put one of these on mine:
AEM 30-0300: X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge With X-Digital Technology | JEGS
Works a treat and I'll hopefully be logging something useful soon (not just getting distracted by pretty lights while riding)

·
Registered
238 Posts
They are great gauges, I installed their boost gauge too and Jegs were really speedy shipping them out.
The nice thing about using the X series gauges is they are super slim, pretty much only the face-plate compared to conventional gauges but remember they 'aint waterproof so don't point a hose at them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@TedG
as promised, here is the list of ODB PID's that are readable/usable.

Not a huge list in the H2 CAN but some useful stuff when add the AFR gauge to logged data too.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Andy if you use your wideband O2 and feed the 0-1v simulated narrow band signal back to the bike O2 input, you should have an accurate reading to log
How much logging is available on the reader ? and what form is the saved data ? CSV that you can export in excel ?
Nice work by the way :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ayjayef. Should / Do the CAN Pid's also detect items like exhaust valve angles and gear positions? I didn't see a direct reference on the posted list. Could they be on separate bus channels?

Cheers

Nahj

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Nahj

As far as I know that's all the CAN ODB data you get on the H2.

My exhaust valve is in a box in the shed, so I can't expect a reading from that one ;-)

Most of the "magic" is still done in the ECU and I doubt many people except for Kawasaki engineers really know what it's doing either but we all like to have a guess. Manufacturers offer-up some CAN ODB content but things like which gear you are in is typically done with math in the dash or via the ECU.

I also think that previous models will show the same ODB data. Kawasaki mentioned the CAN connection on the 2017 model but that's just because they routed a second one to the front of the bike. I fully expect the 2015 and 2016 will show the same data via the CanH and CanL wires in the KDS plug in the tail of the bike (which is where I'm connected to anyway).

Grab yourself a cheap CAN ODB reader like the one I posted and have a play. If nothing else its an easy way of clearing codes for sensors (eg: front wheel sensor on a dyno run or air switching valve error before flashing) without having to do the silly idle run idle run idle run sequence or taking the bike back to a dealer with a KDS.

·
Registered
238 Posts
4 months later...

The ability to use a cheap ODBII reader to clear the codes is awesome, had a few code throws on the dyno that I could clear in a few seconds and it's great for troubleshooting, clearing and trying again. As long as your reader does CAN it will work fine.

The logging of the ODBII was more problematic. It works, but seems really slow on the AEM-AQ1 ODBII logger. 1 to 1.5 seconds per reading means that things like RPM are very stepped and don't have anywhere near as much resolution as something like the AEM gauges that log fast. The data is there (most of the time) and I really don't know if the problem is the logger or the data stream coming from the bike (and AEM 'aint very interested when they hear it's on a bike).

I'll be interested to see someone else having a play with the data to determine if it's just a local problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can see any reason that wouldn't work (apart from the mounting logistics). Cheap enough for a play too.

The PID's are all generic, not sure if the fuel economy is a PID but the actual unit might calculate it.
Everything else should work when you plug it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts