Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, trying to find out what sort of construction the Bridgestone RS10 standard H2 tyre has, because shortly I will be looking for an alternative. I am assuming because the weight and power it has a harder carcass.
Does anyone actually know for a fact what it is?
Because I am looking for an alternative tyre soon I think knowing that, then working out (with the alternatives) tyre circumference to be as close to the RS10 as possible to avoid TC problems. I want to go for a 190/55 proposition as there are so many more options in that size....
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They take rubber and put it in a mold, apply heat and pressure and it becomes a tire. Thats the construction of a RS10.

Have you tried the search function ? Its in the upper right with the green box with a white magnifying glass in it. This tire dilemma is asked and answered ad nauseam. Creating a new post every time you have a new idea or question is the easy way out. Just search it :)

NOLA

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@NOLA
So you don't know the answer?
As for my question it's simple...what type of construction is it? Hard or otherwise?
Yes lots info but haven't seen any facts on the carcass construction. It's not an easy way out, it's a forum and I intend to use the facility regardless what you think.
So the question stands...does anyone know the answer because Nola doesn't
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Must be soft construction as they have not lasted most of us 1-1500 miles on the rear. i'm on Roso Corsa 3 and found them to be very good. check our my what summer tyres for lots of feedback on tyres

·
Registered
702 Posts
@NOLA
So you don't know the answer?
As for my question it's simple...what type of construction is it? Hard or otherwise?
Yes lots info but haven't seen any facts on the carcass construction. It's not an easy way out, it's a forum and I intend to use the facility regardless what you think.
So the question stands...does anyone know the answer because Nola doesn't
Jeffro ;)
Have you checked Bridgestone's site?

BATTLAX RACING STREET RS10 | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

They use GP belt technology for all of their tires. Whether that translates into "hard" or "soft" as you put it, is subjective.
BATTLAX Technology | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

To NOLA's point, in my line of work (and I'm sure others), I have to be resourceful because the answers are not always readily apparent, or even documented. It's been the reason for success in my field.

I don't want to get on a high horse so please just take this as constructive criticism based on the earlier posts in this thread. In life, you may find that more people will be willing to help you if you've already done some homework/footwork and 'state so' accordingly.

Even though NOLA has some thorns and can be rough around the edges here and there (You KNOW it's true NOLA. LOL ), he was still gracious to respond. There have been other threads here where a question was asked and no one even bothered to answer because everyone knew unanimously in their minds that the topic has already been well covered, documented, and in some cases all out war resulted. In my case, I read this board nearly 6 months straight before I joined so as to familiarize myself with the content. In another case, I did a vintage build (my ZX7R racebike) and literally everything I learned about building that bike was learned by using the search feature on ZXForums and Redmonkey.

So I don't think you were wrong by posting a question, that's what forums are for. However, you might find that there is already a wealth of information here. Even good posts by people who no longer frequent the board.

I think in cases like these, if I was a board owner I would put together a FAQ.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Must be soft construction as they have not lasted most of us 1-1500 miles on the rear. i
HA! this was the tire that came on my bike, cooked after 500 miles, and this was during the bike's "brake-in-period" LOL
yeah they are soft and work great with the bike but obviously don't last long.
also when they get to the point of this tire the traction drops off the table, I was sliding all over the place.
So they work great until they don't at all.

Reactions: Jeffro and STRADALE

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I understand both sides. Maybe what Jeffro could have done though is post the question in the "Fair Weather Tire" thread just so information on tires aren't spread out into different threads. But no biggy, it's not like the forum is so active that threads are getting pushed down.

Nate beat me to it posting Bridgestones website, if you look at Bridgestone's site there is a ton on info on RS-10 construction if you hit those small icons at the bottom:

They also use graphics/ a chart for showing what the tire is made for/where the tire does it's best work, anyone try the RS-10 R or R-10 Evo? Not available in 200 though:

If you are comparing tires/companies the tire manufacturers make it easy to narrow your search by giving you the categories that each tire was made for Bridgestone uses the tag "Racing/Street" for DOT circuit tires. On Michelins site "Racing"/DOT, it's their Power Cup Evo

In that same circuit/street category Pirelli uses the tag "Racing"/"Road" for their SuperCorsa SP

The Supercorsa SP's are OEM on Ducati Panigale, BMW S1000RR. On the new Honda Fireblade SP both the RS10 & the Supercorsa SP's will be fitted dependent on region, etc. That's an upgrade from the Dunlop Road Sports & Bridgestone S21's that are fitted on the standard Blade.

I've never tried Michelins Power Cup Evo but Jeffro as I mentioned in the other thread; if you want to go w/ Michelin & want to stay with a tire that is as close to the tire Kawi. selected/the RS-10 for it's track/street properties then that's the tire I would look into for your H2 & not the Power Pilot 2CT, which even according to Michelin it's not in their track/street tire category & imo isn't going to a good tire to install on the H2 if you want to be in the same category that the RS-10 & Supercorsa SP's are in.

I'm switching to the Pirelli's for the sole reason is that I think it could be a better tire than the RS-10 for the riding I do, how much mileage I get is secondary but we'll see, from what I understand the Supercorsa SP is just as soft & sticky as the RS-10.

The RS-10 is a great tire especially the rear, one thing that's annoying w/ the RS10's is how fast the front gets worn, I get a defined 1.5" wide high spot in the middle of the front tire. I know it's from the harder compound in the center but it doesn't wear anywhere close to how quick the sides of the front wear down or how quickly the middle of the rear wears on the street & that's even from straight'ish street/highway miles. Not sure but believe the Supercorsa SP's use harder compound in the center of the rears but not the front, if so that would also be a big benefit for my high mileage street/highway riding, w/ each of my RS10 sets (without trips to the track) my rear has worn flat in the middle & the front has worn out the sides.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I wouldn't have thought you'd get a TC problem by switching to a different make of tyre. After all the system has to allow for normal wear which sees a change in circumference.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wouldn't have thought you'd get a TC problem by switching to a different make of tyre. After all the system has to allow for normal wear which sees a change in circumference.

True. And to allow for different conditions; same tire but cold vs hot.... Or take the bike l just mentioned the new Blade SP, that bike comes fitted w/ different tires,,, both the Bridgestone RS-10 and the Pirelli Supercorsa SP are used as OEM tires on that bike.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am anxious to try a set of new pirellis, i have ridden the rs-10's and love em for trackdays and hard street riding, but I also dont mind the michelins. I have ridden several sets of the pilot road 4 on my 14R with great results, the heavier construction held up well to many many top speed runs and even gave a solid performance when I had an unexpected track day. They were grippy from cold and held their grip right to the edge of the tire for 8 track sessions that day. I was control riding for more than one group and did a bunch of sessions. I think tire 'feel' is very subjective to the individual. I wouldnt recommend the 'road 4' as an everday track tire though. Lol. Cant wait to melt some RS-10's! Havent taken delivery yet, oh the waiting pains.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies, one of the reasons I posted this thread is there is little information on what I am ACTUALLY asking, so getting others interaction is what forums are for. Are they not? IF it happened to be repeated I apologise to members who have seen it before, but that shouldn't exclude others from asking. I am reasonably new here and have already seen repeated posts, but for courtesy I don't condemn newer members for doing so. If I decide to reply I will be constructive not detrimental. I don't think it's too much to ask that in return?

To put some members minds at ease.... before posting I did do some research already in past posts but never really found what I was looking for hence posting my question
I usually think pretty hard before posting to ensure what I am asking not only interests me, but others will find interesting too.

And as for my question.... I think there is a bit of confusion regarding it. I am very aware of the RS10 compound, it is reasonably soft and grippy. But it's NOT what I am asking. I am talking about the carcass construction (which includes the sidewall strength) Tyres can have a hard carcass and have either soft or medium or even hard compounds. On the contrary tyre can have a soft carcass and perhaps the reverse compound or maybe a soft sidewall construction depending on the use it was designed for. So... when I asked what construction the RS10's have I didn't mean the tyre compound ( of course I know it's quite soft) I am actually talking about the carcass. For example the Michelin PP4 comes in two versions, the PP4 and the PP4 GT (this version has a stronger construction and sidewall) for heavier bikes, for tourers and bikes used for pillions BUT still uses the same COMPOUND. Because I am preparing to change tyres soon I am looking for the closest option as far as carcass construction is concerned, and looking for closest circumference to the RS10 as possible to not interfere too much with T/C.
I am not expert in tyres and appreciate all inputs here and otherwise so I can make a good, informed decision in the near future. And also hoping this information helps others :D
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies, one of the reasons I posted this thread is there is little information on what I am ACTUALLY asking, so getting others interaction is what forums are for. Are they not? IF it happened to be repeated I apologise to members who have seen it before, but that shouldn't exclude others from asking. I am reasonably new here and have already seen repeated posts, but for courtesy I don't condemn newer members for doing so. If I decide to reply I will be constructive not detrimental. I don't think it's too much to ask that in return?

To put some members minds at ease.... before posting I did do some research already in past posts but never really found what I was looking for hence posting my question
I usually think pretty hard before posting to ensure what I am asking not only interests me, but others will find interesting too.

And as for my question.... I think there is a bit of confusion regarding it. I am very aware of the RS10 compound, it is reasonably soft and grippy. But it's NOT what I am asking. I am talking about the carcass construction (which includes the sidewall strength) Tyres can have a hard carcass and have either soft or medium or even hard compounds. On the contrary tyre can have a soft carcass and perhaps the reverse compound or maybe a soft sidewall construction depending on the use it was designed for. So... when I asked what construction the RS10's have I didn't mean the tyre compound ( of course I know it's quite soft) I am actually talking about the carcass. For example the Michelin PP4 comes in two versions, the PP4 and the PP4 GT (this version has a stronger construction and sidewall) for heavier bikes, for tourers and bikes used for pillions BUT still uses the same COMPOUND. Because I am preparing to change tyres soon I am looking for the closest option as far as carcass construction is concerned, and looking for closest circumference to the RS10 as possible to not interfere too much with T/C.
I am not expert in tyres and appreciate all inputs here and otherwise so I can make a good, informed decision in the near future. And also hoping this information helps others :D
Jeffro ;)
I will try best to answer your question. I have found previous generations of Bridgestone tires to have a generally harder carcass construction than the Michelins and Pirellis. That is, until the RS10 hit the market. I don't know what I feel with those things, other than grip. lol. Dunlop and Bridgestones have always seemed like they had more rigidity. This opinion is based on what I "Feel" on the bike and not backed by any real data or science. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

All I can say for certain is that of all the tires I have ever ridden, Michelin street tires move and squirm the most. Some people like a "loosy goosey" bike, and they would probably prefer a Michelin. I like a rigid feeling setup. So a Michelin might be more compliant over bumps but may lack outright grip. On the other hand, the RS10 or BTO__ series Bridgestone may offer more grip for track days then say a PP3, but transmit every road imperfection or be less compliant on the road.

....and then there's the conversation of tire pressure and how it affects the way the tire responds. It's a very deep pit and in all honesty, you'll need to do what the race teams do and keep your own personal data log.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Jeffro ;)

Not a "tire-expert" by any means either. Before deciding to switch to the Supercorsa SP's, I did a bunch of research (wish I would have saved that) spoke to a few people whom I respect opinions from & rode on the Supercorsa SP's. If you're looking to make a switch & you're probably going to stay within the slick w/ DOT approval "race/street" tire depending on tire size, there's not a huge amount of options, maybe 4 or 5. You're asking about sidewall, if you're looking to stay w/ a softer sidewall stick w/ the RS-10's, it's more forgiving but will give you less feedback. I've heard really good things about Dunlops Q3 & it does well in testing... Rider preference, skill level, different bike, etc there's too many variables to say what is the best option & the only way to know for sure if it's what you like is to actually have them mounted & try them yourself but I get you're trying to get more information before doing so. I've got only minor complaints w/ the RS-10, think it's a great tire for the H2 especially for the price & on a few previous occasions to switch, stayed w/ the same tire, for me though it's time to try something new.

Here's a link that reviews the RS-10 with a brief note about their experiences w/ the Pirelli:
https://www.motohubusa.com/2015/08/tire-test-bridgestone-battlax-rs10-racing-street/

Think this was before the RS-10 was released but Motorcycle USA tire test:
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V2 Comparison - Motorcycle USA

2015 Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout - Motorcycle USA

2015 Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout Conclusion - Motorcycle USA

Blind test:

Have no idea who this kid is but has some good info :

And on the RS-10, also mentions the GP-Belt but think that is reserved for the rear RS-10 Type R, at least according to Bridgestones website :

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yes your right, of course there would be a certain allowance tolerance built into the system, but the starting circumference would need to be as close to OEM as possible. This would also maintain correct geometry as per factory specs. Some replacement tyres have HUGE differences in circumference which would not be suitable at all.
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, you make very valid points Turbo, excellent info and feedback from a lean angle junkie like myself. I will trust it and just order two rs-10's rears for every one front. They are excellent tires. And thanks for the tire test vids there Stradale, great info.
good stuff

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Jeffro, hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread, didn't make sense to start a new tire thread.

25F here this morning when I set off to the dealership to have the Supercorsa SP's installed. Had a good time talking about H2's with my service manager & mechanic. Think he said the Kawasaki carbon fiber front cowl is $4600 full Kawi. list price & the ergo fit bars $260. I might try the bars. I'm having something custom made for the H2, when I have it that might be the time to do the bars as well.

It's nice to deal w/ guys in a service department that you can put absolute faith/trust in & just hang & bs while they work on your bike. They ordered the tires for me 2 days ago & were very fair price wise compared to getting them online & having to bring them in for mounting/balancing. Been going here a long time & for anybody that might live in my area - Long Island Kawasaki in Hicksville NY.

Couldn't get a good feel for the tire as compared to the RS-10, brand new tire combined with the outdoor temps, not the greatest testing conditions but felt really great in the straights. Have to say I was surprised at how damm sExY the rear Pirelli looks on the H2!

On the short trip to the dealership (while in my old rubber) got to hear my Vandemon for the first time at max revs, sounds insanely devilish. Had the oil/filter changed as well, new inspection to get me through the whole season without having to come back in June. Now just need some decent riding weather!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not sure about the street Pirelli's, but the Supercorsa SC2 at Jennings is the best slick on the market, beaten only by the UK NTEC (which they don't make anymore).

On a BMW s1000rr you will get 20 laps of fantastic grip, then they start to slide and move around.

Still useful, but you wont get your best lap times after 20 laps, due to your throttle modulation, while you fight for traction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts