Ninja H2 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A brand new , 1 push mile H2R has just sold at Bonham for £23,000 + commission . A very poor investment for one and a nice buy for the new owner .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello:

I have been a visitor to this site since it's inception. Not being known for saying much but you took the word right out of my mouth. I will not respond here but I'll be back just as soon as the senior members retire, win the lotto, and have the grace to part with their h2 to a good home that will ride and maintain it like it needs to be. Thank you and have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This is hardly surprising. If Kawasaki had stopped production after 2015 that H2 at Bonham's auction may have attracted a premium but this is not what Kawasaki set out to do.

Come back in 2040 and your 1-mile 2015 bike will probably be worth more than it's original price but if you really want to make money invest in a painting or some gold.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is hardly surprising. If Kawasaki had stopped production after 2015 that H2 at Bonham's auction may have attracted a premium but this is not what Kawasaki set out to do.

Come back in 2040 and your 1-mile 2015 bike will probably be worth more than it's original price but if you really want to make money invest in a painting or some gold.
You are not surprised at a loss of over £15,000 and they never even rode the bloody thing , you must be Kawasaki’s dream customer.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
" If Kawasaki had stopped production after 2015 that H2 at Bonham's auction may have attracted a premium but this is not what Kawasaki set out to do".Agree.Anyone buying an H2 for resale is deluded.If it never gets ridden,then maybe a good resale.But otherwise....Having the newest ones heading into the 30K range,then a 2015 could get a decent resale,long as it's in great condition.I think so anyway.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not suggesting you should buy a new bike for investment purposes but that’s a 35% loss , you won’t find a 2015 used R1M for £12,000 let alone a 1 push mile example.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you want resale, go buy a Harley. If you want to have fun, performance, quality, and the occasional OMG this thing is fast. Go buy an H2.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is hardly surprising. If Kawasaki had stopped production after 2015 that H2 at Bonham's auction may have attracted a premium but this is not what Kawasaki set out to do..
I don't think Kawasaki really knows "what to do" with the H2

They did offer the bike as a limited production run in an "ordering window"
They did the same with the carbon model
2015 owners thought the original green frame would be limited to that year

I really do think Kwak led folk to believe the bike would be limited and special, well the special bit they got right

I never once thought my H2 would be an overnight money earner, long term investment maybe, to be honest I don't really care

Rob

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Everyone needs to look back and understand Kawasaki's history. They do not need the motorcycle division to make money. It is only a tiny fragment of their business.
What they do want is the global name recognition, and that is why starting with the H1 they build over the top bikes. Almost no one before 1969 even heard of Kawasaki a huge, huge company. Boom introduce a motorcycle that kicked the crap out of every bike on the planet, and instantly everyone got and eye opener. Oh wait, even though nothing could touch a H1, it wasn't enough for Kawasaki, so they gave us the H2 a bike that put up it's middle finger to everyone and said top this. Now everyone knows the name Kawasaki.

Fast forward 40 some odd years and to bring that name to the forefront we get the H2 and H2R. A bike that again goes against all things sensible with it's middle finger up in the air. With the added benefit of testing the concept for the H2/SX/SE. The H2 proved it could hold up, be modified to the extreme and still live. And even Kawasaki engineers were at Bonneville setting up a bike to break land speed records.

So @zxrob IMHO they know exactly what to do with the H2. They don't give a rat's @ss about resale, limited production, etc. They do care about quality and going over the top so everyone knows exactly what Kawasaki is about.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I consider my H2R a sunk cost. Anything I get back after I’m done with her is a bonus.
Well it is if you’ve ridden it more than a push mile .
I think most have missed the fact that we are talking about an H2R that never been ridden , lost Fifteen thousand pounds without Bonhams sellers commission on top plus the fact it’s probably been insured against theft for the last three years . :eek:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't think Kawasaki really knows "what to do" with the H2

They did offer the bike as a limited production run in an "ordering window"

They did the same with the carbon model

2015 owners thought the original green frame would be limited to that year

I really do think Kwak led folk to believe the bike would be limited and special, well the special bit they got right

I never once thought my H2 would be an overnight money earner, long term investment maybe, to be honest I don't really care

Rob

I agree Rob,

They seem to be making it up as they go along although I do like what they’ve just done with the latest upgrade (hence my new order)

I didn’t realistically expect strong resale on mine, especially with what I invested into it, you never get your money back, especially on modifications.

There are 15 H2’s and 5 H2R’s for sale on uk eBay alone, it’s not exactly exclusive is it! I thought I was in for a long wait to sell.

Fortunately mine did sell for over 20k this week so given that it’s the “nasty” grey framed model I didn’t think it was too bad, especially this time of year.

I can’t see them ever making massive values, there are simply too many of them, if they’d stayed with just the 2015 model year then you’d be looking at exclusivity like an RC45 but that’s no longer the case. I think it will maintain strong residuals but not crazy like some bikes that become investments.

TBH that’s why I upgraded, it appears to be an ongoing project so it will be good to get my hands on the latest version (then sell it in 18 months)

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
With this type of bike there is a market cycle which is playing out now. Lots purchased for the first 2-3 years then new sales drop off as the second hand machines start to become available. Due to it's high price the sales will be quite flat and if the world economy goes into a slight recession then it could possibly be dropped from the line up. There will be about a 5 year window where the second hand bikes will fetch average prices then possibly start to match inflation.

After that it depends what KHI does as what has been mentioned here, the motorcycle business is the flag flyer as KHI huge and without that arm they would not be as well known and it would cost a fortune in marketing expense to get the same branding recognition.

So I wouldn't worry about the resale value unless you purchased it for a medium term investment. When adjusted for inflation not many machines have increased in true value. If you plan to keep your bike for quite a while then you might make something on it, depends what KHI does in the next 5 years with the H2. I purchased new but if it was a money thing or I would have purchased an immaculate one owner and let them take that first hit when it was rolled out of the show room.

·
Registered
503 Posts
So @zxrob IMHO they know exactly what to do with the H2. They don't give a rat's @ss about resale, limited production, etc. They do care about quality and going over the top so everyone knows exactly what Kawasaki is about.
Hey Ted, thanks for the history lesson, wink, wink

I've lost count of how many Kawasaki,s I;ve had over the years, I still have three now, so I do know a little about them and believe me, there is no other manufacturer that comes up with the goods (well the ones I like) like Kawasaki

However, I totally disagree regarding the above statement, can you really believe that a company does not look at residual re-sale values, thats a good marketing strategy, introduce a bike to the market place, see its value "drop like a brick" in no time, hmm, good for future success

I do also believe that the sales hype, "limited ordering window, ect" was either directly or indirectly implying a limited edition machine

Let me also just reiterate, I wouldnt be without my H2

Rob

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Everyone needs to look back and understand Kawasaki's history. They do not need the motorcycle division to make money. It is only a tiny fragment of their business.
What they do want is the global name recognition, and that is why starting with the H1 they build over the top bikes.
Having met the Japanese team who conceived and built the H2/H2R this comment is spot on. They built the bike "because we can". Contrast this with Suzuki, for example, having a real tough time and not even able to give us a new Hayabusa. Their North American car division filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. New 2019 motorcycle models announced so far for Europe are parts-bin specials, really sad and I sincerely hope it improves for them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A brand new , 1 push mile H2R has just sold at Bonham for £23,000 + commission . A very poor investment for one and a nice buy for the new owner .
Who buys an H2R?

* Track only
* No warranty
* Full engine serviced after 30 track hrs
* With taxes - $60K US, $70K Cdn

- Very small market of buyers, that's why it sold so low! Remarkable machine, that only proves Kawasaki rules globally. No other supplier in the world could offer this bike under $100K US.

If I had the money to throw away, I'd buy one tomorrow :)

Reactions: H2015
1 - 19 of 19 Posts