Ninja H2 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last true milestone ?
from 1914 the land speed record has been held between only two countries , the UK and the USA .
The UK currently hold the record at around 765 MPH breaking the sound barrier in the process . In this day and age of fame hungry nobody's when you are called brave for attempting a soufflé on "The Great British Bake Off " this new 1000 MPH attempt has to be one of the most awe inspiring goals in the last twenty years .
This week saw a successful slow test to 200 MPH in 8 seconds on a Cornish runway leading up to the real attempt in South Africa.
The UK has such an amazing history of landspeed record holders as has the USA but I'm sorry USA i really think we are going to put this out of your reach forever as we are long past the days when you could strap an aero engine into a large chassis ( although thinking about that's what this is ! ) but it's now a multi million pound effort rather than privateers working in sheds .
I will try and keep a British stiff upper lip if we succeed but suspect a tear of pride will run down my cheek if it's accomplished .

·
Registered
674 Posts
Been watching this with much interest,
Met Andy Green in 2009,His wife had been running at Bonneville in a car and they came down to the racers bar afterwards , nice guy and i wish him very fast and safe in South Africa

There are another couple of contenders , Ed Shandles in the USA, he is trying to beat Andys speed from Oct 1997 of 763 mph , but knows he cant do 1000
Rosco Mcglashan In Australia is building for real fast , its bit like David and Goliath, the whole country is behind the Bloodhound Government, Schools, Private and public entitys, and in comparison earlier in the year the Aussie government withdrew funding from a grant for Rosco and tried to get there money back , sorted now, but it was a close run thing to keep the vehicle

I have also intermittantly heard about 1 of not 2 more vehicles getting built, but hard to get info

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's this for pub bragging rights . Andy Green ) I have a 550 BHP Jaguar Supercharged V8 engine ..... (Pub customer butts in ) Oh 550 BHP , my Aston has 570 BHP . Andy Green ) if you would be kind enough to let me finish , for pumping the fuel into the jet engine, then I switch to the rocket motors . Pub customer ( Gulp )

·
Registered
415 Posts
How's this for pub bragging rights . Andy Green ) I have a 550 BHP Jaguar Supercharged V8 engine ..... (Pub customer butts in ) Oh 550 BHP , my Aston has 570 BHP . Andy Green ) if you would be kind enough to let me finish , for pumping the fuel into the jet engine, then I switch to the rocket motors . Pub customer ( Gulp )
That's priceless!! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Another factoid: Since 1983 the World Land Speed Record has been held either by Andy Green or Richard Noble, two Brits.

Because of the lack of suitable places in the UK our national record is just 301.67mph set by Colin Fallows in the Vampire Jet Car at Fairford in July 2006. It's a standing-mile record, the usual two runs in opposite directions etc and is more of a sprint because the longest runways we have are around two miles. Not comparable with Bonneville, Black Rock and the other top speed venues where several miles are normally available.

The runway at Newquay airport (UK) which Thrust SSC is using for trials is 1.7miles long. Newquay is an operational airport and the SSC crew have been given their own air traffic controller who gives them access to the runway between aircraft landings and take-offs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts