Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got another throttle tube and ground it down (see attached) they started out roughly the same. Now I have a full1/4 turn throttle exacty like my ZX10. Haven't tried it yet, but I know good and well that it will make a huge difference. With the added benefit of more leverage which makes it easier to turn and hold. I also put larger diameter (softer) grips on which adds to the leverage and the amount of control. The second picture show the original amout of turn, the third show the modified amount of turn, a full quarter turn. Don't worry the marks are soap pencil.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did a similar thing... I think the standard tube is 36mm in diameter. I'm running a Gixxer tube which is 32mm. Makes a big difference, specially in bumpy corners with some revs on...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a similar thing... I think the standard tube is 36mm in diameter. I'm running a Gixxer tube which is 32mm. Makes a big difference, specially in bumpy corners with some revs on...
Good to hear that is made a difference. Can't wait to try it. The weather has been cold, windy and rainy. This weekend it is 75 and beautiful.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nutter34, was it a direct swap or did you have to do any tweaking?

Good thread TedG, anything that smooths out throttle response on the H2 is a great thing!

Don.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got a Kawasaki throttle tube I can grind down. I will wait till I test this one. Looks like 70 degrees tomorrow. There is a big difference in quality vs the cheap one I bought.
I'm excited to try it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It's interesting that most throttle mods in the past have been for quick-action. With the H2 it seems to be the opposite.
I've got used to it being rather "sudden" now and I stay clear of riding at a constant 3,000rpm in the low gears.

·
Registered
891 Posts
It's interesting that most throttle mods in the past have been for quick-action. With the H2 it seems to be the opposite.
Exactly. As a roadracer the H2's throttle was WAY too twichy for me to ride on the track, the slightest crack of the throttle coming out of a turn was nearly shooting me off the track. I posted a thread about 1 1/2 yrs ago where my tuner & I went out to the mountains on a Tue afternoon and spent 4hrs doing throttle mapping to smooth out the H2's throttle control, in the pic below you can see my tuner with his laptop. You've seen me ride the track, you've seen the results. They do have throttle tamers which are just the opposite of quick-throttle tubes, but this is the old-school quick fix which is to change the throttle tube. The modern and more exact way is to do throttle mapping. But whatever works for ya.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@racer172,
I would imagine this is the fix for you, along with the mapping, your corner control would be improved greatly. The good part it is cheap, easy, and effective. 1/4 turn is pretty much where one wants to be on the track.

·
Registered
891 Posts
^ isn't 1/4 turn about stock? I know it was on the zx10's and everyone was going to 1/5 throttle mods for shorter twist.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just got back from a ride and all I can say is WOW!
It changed the character of the throttle like I hadn't dreamed possible.
I can honestly say it took 85-90% of the harshness out of the off to on throttle transitions.
First thing I noticed if taking off from a stop is much easier. The clutch is smoother because you have much more control of the throttle.
Second is it no longer takes concentration to smoothly transition from off to on. Just normal.
Third was there is no doubt you have to turn the throttle more to make it really go. That took all of about 10 seconds to get used to.
Forth, mid turn is smooth now, no herky jerky banging at the corner, and you can let off a little bit without going completely off throttle. And now I can modulate the throttle like almost normal.
Fifth you notice how much easier it is to turn the grip, should be good for longer trips.
I rode the first 20 miles with the engine braking on normal. So backing off the throttle was a bit harsh. Then I turned on the engine braking to light and it was maybe 10% better. Again coming on the throttle is pretty smooth.
Now I can use 2nd and be smooth as glass on a twisty road.
Wheeling takes more throttle than before and I only did a couple of small ones and it is still going to take a while for me to get used to this bike, but the small ones I did seemed more controllable.
So all in all, you are mostly left with drivetrain lash, which is on a par with most Kawasakis I have owned.
Also, because of the smooth transitions, tire wear should improve. Not to mention the tendency to break loose suddenly is reduced.
If all you do is drag racing, this is not the mod for you.
But for normal riding, this is the ticket.
Not sure? Go buy the throttle tube I got, it was $2.99 with free shipping, grind it down and give it a rip. It takes all of a 1/2 hour with a dremmel. And a couple of minutes to change the grip. If you don't like it, 5 minutes to restore.
Also the grips I got https://www.progrip.com/shop-en/motorcycle/off-road/grips/rally-grips/714-grips.html made it much easier to hang on to the bike. And added to the throttle control.
I am a happy camper. It is going to be close to 80 degrees around here this weekend, hopefully I can take it for about a 300 mile loop.

·
Registered
414 Posts
After reading this I had a small watt light bulb moment,

I have Rizoma grips on my zx12r, so I used the old throttle grip which is 1/4 turn (32mm diameter at cable ring), just had to cut a very small amount off the end of the grip by the bar end and fits well now. Haven't ridden it yet as still in process of repacking TT3 muffler. Would have used the Rizoma grips but the cable ring is about 34mm and not sure I can grind it any smaller as it is a removable ring, unless I can source another adapter 32mm ring.

Don.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nutter34, was it a direct swap or did you have to do any tweaking?

Good thread TedG, anything that smooths out throttle response on the H2 is a great thing!

Don.
Hi.

It is pretty much a direct fit, with the only extra tweaking being adjusting cable slack.

The grip doesn't fit perfectly but it works.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yep Nutter34, I just had to take that extra slack out and the throttle action is like before.

Yes the tube has a little play along the length of the bar but not much at all.

Looking forward to testing it, hopefully I get similar results to TedG.

Don.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI
The stock tube is 37mm and my cut down tube is 27mm. So 32 will help. But may or may not be enough. Or it may be perfect.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stock on the H2 is about 1/6 turn.
so you were going for a longer throttle turn for more control, I thought you were going for a shorter twist to WOT.
I can see how you would be pleased with the change.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Exactly. As a roadracer the H2's throttle was WAY too twichy for me to ride on the track, the slightest crack of the throttle coming out of a turn was nearly shooting me off the track. I posted a thread about 1 1/2 yrs ago where my tuner & I went out to the mountains on a Tue afternoon and spent 4hrs doing throttle mapping to smooth out the H2's throttle control, in the pic below you can see my tuner with his laptop. You've seen me ride the track, you've seen the results. They do have throttle tamers which are just the opposite of quick-throttle tubes, but this is the old-school quick fix which is to change the throttle tube. The modern and more exact way is to do throttle mapping. But whatever works for ya.
This was my approach

My remit with the tuner was, reflash and de-restict but work on better throttle control, results were spot on

Rob

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went for a 200+ mile ride today. And it just went to prove what I said before.
The throttle control is vastly improved. Gentlemen ...day and night. You can actually ride this thing smoothly not like a **** pogo stick. The roads I took were twisty for most of the way, and it was a fantastic day.
The best part is you can concentrate on the corner instead of the throttle. Don't get me wrong, poor wrist control still gives your violent acceleration and harshness.
Another thing is the bike is just easier to ride normally, God I love this bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts