Ninja H2 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI gents, I've always used Meguiars dry wash on every bike in years past to remove bugs and clean. Always worked great and never scratched the paint. The H2 has me a bit concerned given the mirror finish. Anyone using something that they feel avoids the fine scratches and doesn't leave an oily residue?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I use a clean(thick) microfiber towel and LOTS of water.Mild dish soap is okay(IMO).I do not apply pressure on the towel.No rubbing..stuff like that.SOAK bodywork.Use clean water to rinse.Microfiber towel to dry(GENTLY).But before any washing,I applied the Beasley's.3 coats.Before I ever rode it.This helped seal the finish.I never rub the paint.After cleaning,I apply something like Meguair's swirl remover gently.Always using a FRESH microfiber towel.I do not use swirling motions on the painted surfaces.Straight strokes in one direction.Removing surface dust is VERY important.I always RINSE the bike before I actually go full on with the washing.If there's mud or stuff on there,I soak that.I don't try to rub it off with the towel(s).I change towels frequently during the process.Using light pressures.This works well for me.It takes a bit longer,but worth it.I do not use the 'frame' towel(s) on any painted surface.You probably know...NO PAPER towels.You have to be careful when cleaning so you don't embed particles into the surface.The Beasley's really helps to put a barrier between paint finish and 'road stuff'.
If you haven't applied that yet...you need to.Seriously.But make **** sure to remove all contaminants and swirls BEFORE applying.And fingerprints...stuff like that.

Take the time to prep and 'set up' the finish at the beginning.These panels cannot be repainted.(with the factory paint)from an aftermarket shop.
I also use a feather duster when she's been sitting for a while.REAL feathers,not the manufactured ones.Long winded I know...but this is how I've kept mine looking pristene for 2 years now.And she's got 13K miles on her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate all that, bud. I can tell that' you and I are cut from the same cloth, I mean micro-fiber towl. Lol. I'll certainly prep her and get her coated with the sealer. My only issue is trying to avoid a hose altogether. Still looking for that perfect spray....cheers!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mostly agree with what's been said already, copious amounts of water and a good automotive shampoo, soak off any bugs etc.

I use Autoglym wax with microfiber cloths and my tip is this: NEVER apply the wax or polish it off with a circular motion. Just back and forth and gently too. This will avoid the swirls that ruin the mirror finish.

I take my time and do one panel at a time. My March 2015 bike is still pristine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info, gents. Does anyone have the part number for the Beasleys sealer as there are many options to choose from.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've taken mine to the wash racks and used a sprayer on it.I lightly spray from top down,and hit the bottom areas a bit more aggressively.Some don't recommend this...but I don't go spraying in the seals or dash area but only very lightly.I definitely don't hammer the axle seals and stuff.Or inside the engine compartment.Sometimes I'll put a towel over the exposed areas that have electrical connections.This seems to be okay.Then take home and go over the bike again drying and such.Then applying a wax to it.I try to not overdo waxing though.It can begin to build up over time.
What Bob says about the swirling...he's VERY correct on this.(and his other stuff);)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
One more thing to add, which applies to any bike and not just the H2. I always wash my bikes and cars by hand. I know there's a lot of debate about pressure washers and the damage they can cause but it's not that, it's simply this: When I hand wash my bike I can intimately check every part of it as I go, for safety, any deterioration, anything coming loose, anything missing etc. You get the idea. Standing back with a pressure washer doesn't allow this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a karcher K5 pressure washer with a snow foam nozzle.

Its great, gets to every part of the bike, let the foam stay on for a while then rinse with clean water.

After that handwash with a double bucket method.

I mostly use chemical guys products, they smell like candy and do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotta say, I received my Dr. Beasly's final finish spray. As far as I'm concerned that stuff works exactly as I had hoped. Cleans off bugs and light dirt and makes it just shine without any scuff marks....I HIGHLY recommend to anyone looking for a nice spray cleaner.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My bike is clear wrapped but I still clean it very, very carefully

I always clean after every ride, "dry spray" on a micro cloth, dry off with another micro cloth

Rob

·
Registered
434 Posts
My bike is clear wrapped but I still clean it very, very carefully

I always clean after every ride, "dry spray" on a micro cloth, dry off with another micro cloth

Rob

Pretty much the same, I got my bike wrapped within the first 2 weeks of getting it. Now I just clean down like Rob does.

Don.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts