Ninja H2 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets hear your opinions on the best sprocket ratio for track. i have tried 19-44, seems abit sluggish to me.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It depends on the track and how much power your bike is making.

For sure the stock 18/44 is pretty low gearing but Kawasaki geared it this way so that it hits 186mph/300kmh just before the 13,000rpm stock rev' limit and is as "lively" as possible.

I'm using 19/41 for LSR and it still wheelies in the first four gears. There are a few on this forum who circuit race with their H2's, I expect they will give you the benefit of their experience.

·
Registered
104 Posts
my friend, a track bike transmission setup is simple:

it should develop all rpm in 6th gear at the end of the longest straigth.

from this point, you only go to longer ratios.

only one IF: if there are a few bends or turns where a lower (3rd, 4th or 5th) gear becomes to short and you want a longer gearing just for those. (normally you dont want to do "in the corner shifting")

going longer will not help the first sentence, but will probably end in better lap time.

this is trial & error approach, and only real life testing gives you the answer...

if you are doing very fine tunning, even the wind direction and strength could modify the gearing...

·
Registered
891 Posts
I run the stock gearing 18/44 on the track (roadracing tracks that is) and I run 19/44 in the canyons/mountains so I can hit 200mph

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only circuit available to me in my area is Sepang Circuit in Malaysia. looks like i will try to go back to stock gearing for the next trackday

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well it depends a lot on mods and riding style.

When my bike was stock or had just a flash, I found the 18x44 was perfect for the tracks near me. With Supercharger Stage 2 gears I run the H2R gearing of 18x42.

You really want to work 2nd and 3rd gear at most corners in the 40-90mph range depending on your comfort level at the circuit. 3rd and 4th gear take good care of the tires with 18x42 gearing.

I wouldn't bother with a 19 front sprocket. That pretty much kills your drive everywhere. Stick with 18x42 and 18x44. Kawasaki hit it spot on.

I speak from experience. My bike has about 2,400 miles and about 1,700 of them are track miles.

My last tip would be to not bother revving out to 13k+ rpm. Shift around 12.5k and gear for that rpm range. Use the overrev (13k+) for long sweepers where you can't be bothered for shifting for fear of upsetting the chassis in the 'perky' part of the powerband.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts