Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2016 H2 is equipped with an assist and slipper clutch which is available as an add on for the 2015. The Kawasaki part number is 99994-0840 and goes for approx $400 CAD. As of now you have to pay for the part + install running around 800$ CAD. My dealer complained on my behalf about how tight and heavy the clutch is especially in traffic. Kawasaki is providing the part and install for FREE! Apparently if enough people complain Kawasaki might make a recall.

The part is back ordered until after Christmas so it should be arriving soon. I will post back how it feels/works.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

I for one will most certainly ask for the clutch to be replaced, riding around Toronto I had cramps to my left arm numerous times...

Frio

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is a link in the last post's link to info on 2016 mods:

2016 model of the Ninja H2 announced. New to my ears info: rain mode improved, connection to data logger ....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It would be a welcome modification if they did fit the assist slipper clutch as a recall.

The heavy clutch action was the one thing that all four of the H2 owners at the session with the Japanese design team (myself and three others at Kawasaki UK) mentioned as a problem.

$400 for the clutch pack seems ok but another $400 for fitting is a little high.

·
Banned
546 Posts
I missed that entirely.

It's interesting but through the horrendous Google translation I gathered the Japanese are very angry that there is a second year, it only had 200hp and that after the second order period there seemed to be bikes available at dealers for sale anytime. They sold 800 of the 2015 just in Japan and the 2016 won't sell 100.

Sounds like they raised the price in Japan too.

I also liked the description of the spark black as "flashy lame painting". Google may be over selling it but those people sound pissed.

They also sound sure there will be an R2.

Can anyone here read the original Japanese and translate accurately? That article looked like it was full of win.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 2015 clutch action is lighter than my other bike: a Ducati 749.... I really will keep this clutch, it works just fine and the "slipper" part works.

·
Registered
787 Posts
For my 2 cents , I will agree the clutch fine. I was using QS all the time and why anyone wouldn't want to get the most use from the dog ring box I don't know. Whole gearbox clutch set up is / was half the whole value of this bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
However, wait 'til a bit of age catches up with those fingers! :)
the day I cant ride a Ducati 749 is the day I will stop riding motorcycles...

The H2 power will kick me out long time before any clutch gives me problems on any bike...

I will measure the pressure of the clutch lever fully engaged and send a few pictures to have a real scientific information.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This is not a macho thing, I weight train and have a strong grip. I grew up on the old bevel-drive Ducatis which had a really heavy clutch.

On the runway at LSR meetings it's not a problem but go for a ride through town with lots or red lights and stop-starts and the clutch is a PAIN.

I get around it by slipping into neutral a lot and using the shifter to go up through the box but if Kawasaki are offering a better solution it means they have listened and resolved the issue.

·
Banned
546 Posts
This is not a macho thing, I weight train and have a strong grip. I grew up on the old bevel-drive Ducatis which had a really heavy clutch.

On the runway at LSR meetings it's not a problem but go for a ride through town with lots or red lights and stop-starts and the clutch is a PAIN.

I get around it by slipping into neutral a lot and using the shifter to go up through the box but if Kawasaki are offering a better solution it means they have listened and resolved the issue.
I think maybe we should stop calling it a 'problem' as opposed to a 'preference'. I think it's perfect the way it is. When I'm hulked out on adrenaline it's nice to have something to do with all that extra energy anyway. I say add a few springs to the basket and make the ESD a little stiffer too while you're at it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I sent an e mail to my dealer to see if he can help me with the parts under warranty just to see if I can get them at no charge. If so I'll do the installation. I wouldn't mind a lighter pull as long as it doesn't lesson the clutches holding power. :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
So I talked to Kawasaki service yesterday and they didn't want to know anything about a possible warranty deal on the clutch. And that's with me having 5 Kawasakis in the garage......but I thought I'd try. I may by the clutch anyways and install it myself. It's a long a s s winter and I don't have much to do when it's cold out. Lol

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So I talked to Kawasaki service yesterday and they didn't want to know anything about a possible warranty deal on the clutch. And that's with me having 5 Kawasakis in the garage......but I thought I'd try. I may by the clutch anyways and install it myself. It's a long a s s winter and I don't have much to do when it's cold out. Lol
Retro-fitting it to a 2015 H2 as a warranty replacement did seem a little too much to hope for. Although the dealer won't necessarily know about it until (if) Kawasaki make an announcement. I won't be holding my breath.

·
Registered
574 Posts
But sure as heck, one part will be a touch too big to fit. Yes, it would be nice for big K to give us some guidance on this swap. I may be missing something about the hand pressure required on the clutch, it seems to me that this is a function of the hydraulic clutch and they should be able to change the ratio somewhat to ease this. My front brakes on my H2 have about the same pull as my 1970 Honda CB-750, but they sure stop a lot better.

·
Registered
867 Posts
But sure as heck, one part will be a touch too big to fit. Yes, it would be nice for big K to give us some guidance on this swap. I may be missing something about the hand pressure required on the clutch, it seems to me that this is a function of the hydraulic clutch and they should be able to change the ratio somewhat to ease this. My front brakes on my H2 have about the same pull as my 1970 Honda CB-750, but they sure stop a lot better.
Yeah Edinlr you might be right on that one....I'm actually looking at changing my master cylinder out on my H2 for the Brembo RCS19 / 20. I have one on my ZX10R and even know the one on the H2 is pretty good the RCS 19 is way better.....its all in the ratio.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Retro-fitting it to a 2015 H2 as a warranty replacement did seem a little too much to hope for. Although the dealer won't necessarily know about it until (if) Kawasaki make an announcement. I won't be holding my breath.
I ordered the 2016 set up....it's on back order for who knows how long but at least it's on order... $470.00 from my dealer.

Reactions: Boosted10R
1 - 20 of 70 Posts