Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. In many aspects I can be considered a newb. I have not been on a motorcycle for over 17 years. Got the itch back and the H2 is one of my choices to consider. After 14 years should I be afraid of this thing? or my wife? How comfortable is this bike compared to say a Z10R or R1?

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I was 19 years old I brought a CBX 1000 and everyone thought I was going to die within a year , I was a fair step up from a 250 cc bike but only around 60 BHP more in reality , if I had gone from the CBX to the H2 that's a 115 BHP jump !
Given an H2 at 19 i think I would have lasted a week .
I think with the 14 year gap but with past experience with bikes like the R1 you would need to retrain your brain for a while as the H2 can get a real handful very quickly , at the end of the day it's more your personality that counts as the H2 can easily be ridden gently if you can resist its temptations .

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi all. In many aspects I can be considered a newb. I have not been on a motorcycle for over 17 years. Got the itch back and the H2 is one of my choices to consider. After 14 years should I be afraid of this thing? or my wife? How comfortable is this bike compared to say a Z10R or R1?

Both may be the correct answer! Seriously, the H2 is one **** of a handful for the street. It is nothing like what you rode all those years ago. Seventeen years ago we were riding 1930's John Deere tractors in comparison to the H2 of today. That said, I find my H2 the sweetest street ride I've ever owned!

I've had a lot of street bikes but like you, I had not ridden on the street for a number of years. Wait! You said you hadn't even been on a bike for 17 years. Hoo boy! Well, I think you'd better start with a machine that's a little more sedate than the H2.

Anyway, I've owned some outrageous machines over the years. I finally quit riding on the street. I sold my last street bike in '86 and didn't own another until the H2. I'm most likely a bit older then you, my first purchase of a new bike was back in '53, so, with the age, my right hand is attached to my brain. Nevertheless, with a year of riding my H2, I'm still in awe and it is still bone stock!

Resisting temptation is where it's at with the H2. It is so incredibly easy to instantly get the machine waaaay ahead of your brain. Oh, good God but it's fun!

I do have a small nit pic though. First gear can be a might twitchy. Twitchy enough to give you an occasional start if you're not paying attention. A little bit herky jerky on the throttle. I've gotten used to it but others have had the same complaint. Those who have had their ECU flashed by Guhl have experienced a smoother throttle. I'm soon having mine flashed as well so maybe my small nit pic will go away.

I've never ridden an R1 so can't comment on comfort. I do have seat time on a 10 and my H2 is a wee bit more comfortable than it. I'm 6' 2" @ 230lbs. and I find my H2 very comfortable, a bit less cramped than the 10. I spend quite a bit of time on the freeway and the air blast against my chest lessens the load on the handlebars, making the bike even more comfortable. My longest ride burnt two tankfuls of fuel and I could have kept going for more. So, comfort wise, no complaints from me.

I personally do have a problem with the heavy clutch action. That is strictly an issue with some arthritis due to age. There's a bunch of us on here that has that problem and it has become a topic of discussion. The '16 H2 doesn't have that issue, however.

The bike I ride in LSR is comparable to the Brock/Guhl power on the H2 but does have significantly more torque. I was thinking with the experience I have in LSR I would do okay with the H2 on the street. Well, it did help with an intimidation factor as there was none. But! A huge but here! Holy crap! I was not prepared for how quick it does everything. Reminded me a bit of a first ride on a nine second drag bike. I was half way down the track but the bike had already gone thru the traps!

You will not regret a purchase of an H2! I've said it before, it is refined madness. I highly recommend you purchase the bike and get some seat time on another much lower powered machine before you experience the H2. You'll thank yourself for it. A sensible right hand is an absolute requirement as well.

All of the above aside. It's an incredible machine which is the cause of me riding on the street again!:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi.

Prior to putting the GSXR throttle tube into my bike, it was an absolute handful. I would most certainly advised against getting an H2. With the Smaller tube though, the bike is so much easier to ride. The twitchy throttle is pretty much non existent, with the exception of being sensitive at higher rpm.
The H2 does not come with power modes. In some way I would advise you get another 1000cc with modes. That way you can slowly get up to speed mentally and improve the bike as you go.
As said above, many have an issue with the 2015 clutch. I'm a scrawny lad and find it heavy. I do have plans to retrofit the 2016 clutch in at some stage. It will make the bike heaps easier to ride for extended periods of time.

It's a tough call trying to give advice...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People thought I was crazy when my first motorcycle, with no previous experience was the R1. At the time it was probably the bike people were most cautious about. Like the H2, minus 40-50hp!. Its a great thing I was in my thirties. I remember the salesman waiving good bye as I rode the bike out of the dealership, he looked like he was praying. I believe maturity plays a big role in all things dangerous and optional. I learned from respecting the bike rather than pushing it to its limits. I don't know if this is the best way of learning. Road cycling for over ten years now, my bicycle feels like an extension of my body. I only rode my Yamaha for a year because I wanted to experience it at a track and I didn't have one near. That bike had no ABS or safety net. Still, the H2 has more power. Maybe its my age now, but like for my first motorcycle, the H2 seems intimidating..... a tempting challenge worth considering :) About the riding position, is it very comitted like other super sport bikes or more like the Z14R? I guess I should go see one in the flesh which is usually a bad idea if you end up liking it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is a committed riding position. I'd say it's closer to a 10R than a 14R. That said, I didn't ride a 14R much and it was many years ago.

I actually bought mine because it reminded me of a 10R. I liked the wide, flat bars.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Both may be the correct answer! Seriously, the H2 is one **** of a handful for the street. It is nothing like what you rode all those years ago. Seventeen years ago we were riding 1930's John Deere tractors in comparison to the H2 of today. That said, I find my H2 the sweetest street ride I've ever owned!

I've had a lot of street bikes but like you, I had not ridden on the street for a number of years. Wait! You said you hadn't even been on a bike for 17 years. Hoo boy! Well, I think you'd better start with a machine that's a little more sedate than the H2.

Anyway, I've owned some outrageous machines over the years. I finally quit riding on the street. I sold my last street bike in '86 and didn't own another until the H2. I'm most likely a bit older then you, my first purchase of a new bike was back in '53, so, with the age, my right hand is attached to my brain. Nevertheless, with a year of riding my H2, I'm still in awe and it is still bone stock!

Resisting temptation is where it's at with the H2. It is so incredibly easy to instantly get the machine waaaay ahead of your brain. Oh, good God but it's fun!

I do have a small nit pic though. First gear can be a might twitchy. Twitchy enough to give you an occasional start if you're not paying attention. A little bit herky jerky on the throttle. I've gotten used to it but others have had the same complaint. Those who have had their ECU flashed by Guhl have experienced a smoother throttle. I'm soon having mine flashed as well so maybe my small nit pic will go away.

I've never ridden an R1 so can't comment on comfort. I do have seat time on a 10 and my H2 is a wee bit more comfortable than it. I'm 6' 2" @ 230lbs. and I find my H2 very comfortable, a bit less cramped than the 10. I spend quite a bit of time on the freeway and the air blast against my chest lessens the load on the handlebars, making the bike even more comfortable. My longest ride burnt two tankfuls of fuel and I could have kept going for more. So, comfort wise, no complaints from me.

I personally do have a problem with the heavy clutch action. That is strictly an issue with some arthritis due to age. There's a bunch of us on here that has that problem and it has become a topic of discussion. The '16 H2 doesn't have that issue, however.

The bike I ride in LSR is comparable to the Brock/Guhl power on the H2 but does have significantly more torque. I was thinking with the experience I have in LSR I would do okay with the H2 on the street. Well, it did help with an intimidation factor as there was none. But! A huge but here! Holy crap! I was not prepared for how quick it does everything. Reminded me a bit of a first ride on a nine second drag bike. I was half way down the track but the bike had already gone thru the traps!

You will not regret a purchase of an H2! I've said it before, it is refined madness. I highly recommend you purchase the bike and get some seat time on another much lower powered machine before you experience the H2. You'll thank yourself for it. A sensible right hand is an absolute requirement as well.

All of the above aside. It's an incredible machine which is the cause of me riding on the street again!:)
After reading all the answers including my own I think this is the best one & , i especially like the "refined madness " quote .
I have a very strong grip but like 880turbo says it is hard work especially in UK traffic ,I've ridden bikes in the US and realise this is less of a problem for US riders .
One thought I did have is you could switch the H2 into rain mode as it gives half the power but again it's down to your personality, good luck .

·
Registered
288 Posts
I recommend you spend some time on something a little less mental, I have 13,000 ks on my H2 even after always having a road bike for the last 39 years and a couple of track bikes that I have done heaps of training courses as well as trackdays it still took me 4,500 ks in the mountains to get the hang of it.I still show this bike respect even though I do still do the odd stupid thing this bike will bite you in the ass real quick if your not bike fit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I recommend you spend some time on something a little less mental, I have 13,000 ks on my H2 even after always having a road bike for the last 39 years and a couple of track bikes that I have done heaps of training courses as well as trackdays it still took me 4,500 ks in the mountains to get the hang of it.I still show this bike respect even though I do still do the odd stupid thing this bike will bite you in the ass real quick if your not bike fit.
Yep! A wolf in sheep's clothing is not an apt analogy. Picture yourself at the reins astride a western diamond back on steroids. That's a bit more like riding the H2. Delirious fun but you'd better be paying attention!

·
Registered
170 Posts
In short, I took a break from biking and I got back on an equivalent bike to the last one,that was 20 yrs ago. But after 17 yrs with no bike - there isn't an equivalent new bike. 3 bikes after starting again: My last bike purchase before the H2 was the 2000 ZX-12R, the brute of it's day, Busa beater etc. No ABS, no traction control, Kwakas first injection bike, crude. Very hard to corner with 200 tyres, so I tried 180's and 190's -So much more fluid. 200's are crap for cornering. The first time the traction control and ABS cut in when you never had them before is going to be whole new ball game.

I'd definitely get about 5000 miles on any bike but the H2 before the H2 and definitely do the smaller tube mod and narrower tyres. Doing a 180 degree turn going down a mountain with even with the 2016 map and 60 degree throttle is ridiculous. I did about 150 miles in mountains today. Put Castellane to Puimoisson, France in google maps in Satellite mode and zoom in. With the stock 200 tyres and the 60 degree throttle, uh uh not again. Buy the H2 but just not yet.
Comfort?
The bars are a little bit wider and higher than the 10: " RIDING POSITION - Designed for 300 kmh and track riding, Handlebar positioned so rider is not leaning as far forward as the Zx1000J/K ... bars are 10 mm wider L & R and 10 mm higher, the pegs are 10 mm further forward." Source : Kwaka's H2 mechanics /dealers training.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I'll wait a while, for now. Liking the heated bars and cruise control on the s1000rr. So many choices. ......

·
Registered
577 Posts
Guess I'll wait a while, for now. Liking the heated bars and cruise control on the s1000rr. So many choices. ......
Don't wait too long - I'm pretty sure we won't see the H2 in its current form in Europe for 2017 (new emissions rules are due to come in next year) and, once you take the european market out of the equation, will Kawasaki continue to produce the bike .......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, to resist temptations is the only reason not to get it. Honestly any new 1000cc Motorcycle will get you killed in a hurry if you don't respect them. If you want to learn it with a huge margin of error set the Rain Mode on and it is truly neutered

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think the new emissions will kill the H2. I far as I've heard supercharged engines actually run cleaner than non supercharged engines

1 - 20 of 29 Posts