Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having hit 500 miles, I have at least formed an partial opinion of the H2.
First I have to say the bike is stunning and as others have said the build quality and the choice of parts is outstanding.
Power wise the bike is stunning again and I haven't really reached the limits because of break in. But I have run it up a few times and it is a handful.
Handling is what I like, heavy enough to be planted but still nimble.
Comfortable except for the hard seat, and it seems to be getting better.
Just love the brakes.
Now for what I think is wrong.
The electronics on this bike seem to engineered by people who don't ride bikes, or maybe lawyers.
The display panel is a travesty.
The traction control even on one is WAY too intrusive. It won't allow more than a tiny wheelie, which means I have to turn it off. Useless. Might be good for rain.
And although taking the slack out of the throttle cables the transition from 0 throttle to any is way too harsh and requires you to concentrate on the throttle to get a semi smooth roll on. Which means your concentration on traction and pointing the bike is compromised.
I suspect this bike is effected by altitude as much or more than a normally aspirated bike. All this talk of 3rd gear wheelies, it doesn't even try to lift the wheel.
The gearing is too low, lower than my ZX10. It makes more power everywhere, why so low? First gear is useless.
Now all of this is just a 500 mile impression and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But that is my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Commenting on your review lol

1. The bike is bone stock with 500miles. It's not going to power wheelie anywhere in 3rd without a flash lol

2. T/C one isn't too intrusive to not allow a wheelie. That's all you in either starting acceleration in 4th gear or you are hesitating. The bike would easily 12 o'clock in 1st and 2nd gear, unless you are rolling on to the throttle at 80mph on the highway.

3. How much do you weigh? I mean if you are 250+lbs the bike is going to stay planted better than someone riding the bike that weighs 130.

4. Forced induction isnt affected by altitude as bad as N/A bikes are.

5. Throttle is twitchy for sure, but you will get used to it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all I am 160 lbs.
Next this has the Bosch inertia system in it that dampens wheelies. The 2015 and 16 don't have that. Do your bikes have that?
And yes, a centrifugal supercharges should not be effected by altitude as much as normally a aspirated, that is why I bought this bike. I just said I suspected because I hear all you guys telling stories about 3rd gear wheelies and I get nothing, not even an inch.
Today is no traction control day and I will report back. I'm draining the oil as I type, getting ready for a ride.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Commenting on your review lol

1. The bike is bone stock with 500miles. It's not going to power wheelie anywhere in 3rd without a flash lol

2. T/C one isn't too intrusive to not allow a wheelie. That's all you in either starting acceleration in 4th gear or you are hesitating. The bike would easily 12 o'clock in 1st and 2nd gear, unless you are rolling on to the throttle at 80mph on the highway.

3. How much do you weigh? I mean if you are 250+lbs the bike is going to stay planted better than someone riding the bike that weighs 130.

4. Forced induction isnt affected by altitude as bad as N/A bikes are.

5. Throttle is twitchy for sure, but you will get used to it.

1) seriously mine does and it's standard / stock 2015 UK model , also see 3 ) !
2) he has an 2018 model ? Euro 4 / anti wheelie
3) I'm a fat f##k
4) yep
5) see 4)

·
Registered
587 Posts
First of all I am 160 lbs.
Next this has the Bosch inertia system in it that dampens wheelies. The 2015 and 16 don't have that. Do your bikes have that?
And yes, a centrifugal supercharges should not be effected by altitude as much as normally a aspirated, that is why I bought this bike. I just said I suspected because I hear all you guys telling stories about 3rd gear wheelies and I get nothing, not even an inch.
Today is no traction control day and I will report back. I'm draining the oil as I type, getting ready for a ride.
^So you are telling me the bike will now not wheelie at all with the new bosch system? Level 1, first gear you crack the throttle and it does nothing? 2nd gear say 50mph crack it right to full lock and it does nothing?

Ive always like Kawasakis TC because it will still spin the tire but keep things in check, as well as still allow wheelies.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^So you are telling me the bike will now not wheelie at all with the new bosch system? Level 1, first gear you crack the throttle and it does nothing? 2nd gear say 50mph crack it right to full lock and it does nothing?

Ive always like Kawasakis TC because it will still spin the tire but keep things in check, as well as still allow wheelies.
Level 1 crack the throttle in first and is just goes maybe 1-2" wheelie, 2nd 50-70 hammer the throttle to full lock(even a bounce), and 1-2 inches sometimes nothing, the bike is accelerating like nothing else I have felt, but the front wheel is pretty much on the ground. Third has not lifted the wheel in the slightest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't 2017/2018 models have wheelie co trolls. While the 2015/2016 don't? I know both have traction control. But that is not really wheelie control

·
Registered
835 Posts
Level 1 crack the throttle in first and is just goes maybe 1-2" wheelie, 2nd 50-70 hammer the throttle to full lock(even a bounce), and 1-2 inches sometimes nothing, the bike is accelerating like nothing else I have felt, but the front wheel is pretty much on the ground. Third has not lifted the wheel in the slightest.
Im tempted to think if Kawasaki offered a Bosch electronic package as an option along side a winscreen mounted ashtray or chocolate headers it would be the 3rd best seller .

An H2 that wont wheelie ! The nanny state has finally crushed the life out of anything fun . Skynet is going to have such an easy time in ten years .

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think Master Ted just needs to get the hang of it.

I know when mine was stock(which wasn't long)when I rolled on that throttle in first,it took a second,then she jumped right on up...too quick to control it(at first).Same weith second.Roll on agressively,within a second or two of acceleration,she jumped just like first.Third?I could get her to come up,though I had to have the revs up a bit.4th,she got light...but again,that was me,not the power.

After I changed the piping and ditched the sound chamber and exhaust,added a Guhl flash...it was pretty dicey tryin to loft.Never(yet)have been able to ride a wheelie on mine.Just too much quick power comes in.I'll have to practice some more.
I normally have mine in KTRC 1...it doesn't help at all,that I can tell.I have her in 1 mainly for fast curves and 'possible' sand or gravel.But I run with it off a lot also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have problems with wheelies at 12-14krpm even in 5th.... any small bump in the road and the front wheel takes off.

1,2,3 and 4th the TC is working overtime... I try to avoid this shifting at 10-12k.

I have the 240hp Woolich unrestricted map and the 19 front sprocket... I think with the stock transmisión it will wheelie even at 6th...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did about 100 miles on my 2018 and so far I have about the same opinion as you Ted ! Im happy that the wheelie control do its job ! It is still pretty cold here in Quebec ( 6-7 degrees) And i guess that is why the traction control on mine is restrictive, the road is cold and slippery.
It is quite a beast and for me I dont find the throttle twitchy, maybe because I also own a ktm rc8 that is sooo twitchy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well this was the best day of riding I had since I bought the bike. I rode almost 300 miles by the time I got home. So here is my take on my non flashed 16 with a Brock slipon.

More power than I can handle. This bike is beyond my skills so its a blast to ride and look forward to tracking it this summer.
Yesterday I decided to run against an R1 and GSXR1000 from a 60mph roll. Absolutely crushed them without getting too much at the top. When we all finally stopped they were very surprised how fast the bike pulled away from them and kept pulling until I rolled out of it.
As I was approaching 120+ the bars were getting very light in my hands and I could tell the front tire was hovering above the road and it wanted to climb more but I managed it with the throttle and kept a good drive. The bike has a clear way of letting you know that the front end is coming up soon. My BMW had the same kind of feel but you had to be deeper in it. Not the case on this bike.
There is no doubt in my mind this bike will power wheelie 1st, 2nd and 3rd with the right pilot.

Something I noticed today is that the bike is broken in{1200+miles}not just engine wise but the package has loosened/tightened up and sorted itself out. I set the sag last week and that def helped with the way the bike turns in and handles in general. Prior to that the bike felt lazy and there was a latency issue relating to feedback/response compared to the S1000RR. Today I can say that's no longer an issue for me. The bike felt really good and planted, stable and it finally inspired confidence which I can honestly say wasn't how I initially felt about it when it came to riding it aggressive. Out of the box its got good manners but today I noticed that its become a better all around performer and thats probably also due to the fact that I am getting more seat time on it. The bike is character driven for me compared to anything else I've ridden.
I was planning to flash my ECU not because I wanted or needed more power but because NOLA sold me the ZX10 hardware for the autoblipper but after today that ECU flash is not priority and may not happen now cause I find the transmission to be good enough. The S1000RR spoiled me on the track with its great setup so if I end up missing that too much then I will flash the bike.

This seat sucks something awful and actually forces me to stop more because I have to piss all the time. Its like someone with a hammer is smacking your sac all day. It could have a nicer seat considering the price tag.
Someone was mentioning the throttle and I think you said Ted that you had adjusted your cable and that helped but its not perfect. I have to agree with the response that someone made on this thread. After adjusting mine it did help but the only thing that has really helped me sort out the throttle is seat time and after riding today in all types of conditions besides shitty weather I can agree with that statement. It feels perfect now as I have finally gotten use to it. The S1000RR throttle is without a doubt the easiest to use out of the box. Its taking me more time to get use to the H2 but I'm there now.

I def agree with the gearing its terrible for all around driving and 1st is pretty much useless. In some areas on my BMW I tend to use 3rd gear comfortably where today I was in 4th and could have easily went to 5th without lug. If your looking to pull every stop or drag race then the gearing is good for that but I find it a pain in the ass to let the clutch out and have to shift to 2nd before I'm thru the light. I'm not kidding.. I can easily shift to 2nd before I get thru the light or intersection. Not something I had to think about on the BMW.
Anyways my next mod has to be a seat maybe one for the track and one for the White Mountain's and other trips. Then I will sort out gearing.

Be safe Ted..>:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
"As I was approaching 120+ the bars were getting very light in my hands and I could tell the front tire was hovering" said Creepy 847.

Hey buddy, it really comes alive over 200MPH. Hahaha ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@Creepy847

Good writeup dude...

Consider Luimoto to recover or put gel inserts in the seat. They recovered my stock seat in grippy material on the sides and suede in the middle. They can also add Gold gel to the middle of it.

They are who make the seats that good ole' Andy J is marketing ALL over Facebook. He buys covers from them.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So went for a 250 mile putt today and a few more thoughts
First the traction control is the culprit when it comes to wheelies.
I turned it off at a rest stop going up Donner Summit and chopped 2nd and it came up very abruptly. Launched me forward and had to slam it down before I hit the car in front of me.
The really bad part is you have to turn off the traction control each time you start the bike, and you can't turn it off while you are moving. Assholes.
It sucks that level 1 is so intrusive. :(
Anyway more reporting, where I went there is a pretty long stretch of road that was fairly sand free and is pretty twisty. The bike just handles brilliantly, no drama at all to hustle down a road.
Gas mileage sucks!!! I got gas just outside of Reno knowing it was about 80 miles to my destination. I got there (Downieville CA) and the gas station was closed for repair. Now I have 80 miles on a tank and the closest gas is about 35 miles away (maybe further), so now it is super eco mode for me, because I don't know how far this thing will go. I put it in 6th and mind you it is a very twisty road and it just pulled beautifully from corner to corner and I pulled the clutch on all downhills and coasting where ever I could. Riding this thing sanely is easy as pie, just maintaining 55 in 6th. The torque is awesome.
The seat is coming around, either that or I am getting used to it. I was able to do the 250 without major pain, minor pain, yes. Still it needs something.
Gotta say the power is stunningly good, and getting better as the engine loosens up. I remember the 10 was like that as well, got much better after a 1000 miles. Maybe it is more noticeable at altitude.
So I am going to have to learn a whole new method for wheelie-ing. to keep it under control. It is very abrupt and throttle control is difficult at best. Practice makes perfect.
Also it is smooth, my 10 is smooth at 4k especially, this is every bit as smooth and better in some places. That is a very good thing.
Wind protection is about the same as my 10, maybe slightly breezier. And taking a much longer ride the seating, bar, peg position is truly as good as a sport bike gets. I just stiffen up when it is cold and going over Donner pass was nippy to say the least. Snow piled up quite high on the sides of the road.
And as Creepy847 and I agree the gearing is too low. The good part is the countershaft sprocket is inexpensive and easy to do.
I may have to go with what Creepy says about flashing, It may not be necessary. I am getting more used to the throttle.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts