Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the guys from 3M coming out to do a template of my bike and then fit clear protection on pretty much most of my bike,i will put up some pics when its done

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reactions: ben1000z

·
Registered
281 Posts
The guys I am going to this Saturday recommended Suntek film, as it is apparently thinner and more flexible.

They will cover the front and all the leading edges, and then coat everything with CQuartz, a silica based hydro-repellent clear coat, to make the paint washable without worries of scratching...

·
Registered
25 Posts
there is a kit on the internet for the H2
Ninja H2 bike paint protection

iv had mine G Tech coated and its very very good no scratches now
Have you used this before? How hard is it to apply?
I have never needed to apply this stuff before as I've never had a bike expensive enough to worry about it :p
Any suggestions on who could do it in Australia???

·
Registered
331 Posts
The guys I am going to this Saturday recommended Suntek film, as it is apparently thinner and more flexible.
Not only thinner and more flexible but weaker glue. ...look online for 3M film pulling up paint when removed. :eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. We have g-tech, suntek, and xpel. Could somebody please tell me which one is the one to use?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Sheesh.3M pulling up paint...no thanks.That 'kit' looks pretty cool...if they only showed the template of the entire kit pieces.I wouldn't want seams all over the place;)That'd be worse looking than a light scratch that could be removed easily with some Meguiar's 'scratch X'.Used it a few times now for a few very light scatches(from bugs).Worked perfectly.(plus I have that paint seal protectant on there...3 coats of the Beasley's).Those light marks just come right out so good...gotta make sure though that the buffing rag is TOTALLY clean of ANY bug casings or grit.And that the bugs are TOTALLY gently removed with nice hot water and a clean particle free rag.

·
Registered
438 Posts
silverbirdH2 the guys that have their bikes, do you know if any of them put the plastic sheets on their bikes, and are happy with it? Thankyou.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I don't know if they applied it themselves...but they say they're happy with it.

Like I said...I used a different coating.I apply the swirl remover and buff out well.She looks good.I don't know if that film shows nicks in it.Or if it can be buffed using something like I use.Next thing I'm gonna apply is a Meguiar's Polishing Compound.Clearcoat safe.Removes light swirls and such as well.Also haze.Comes in a red plastic bottle.

I think the film is a good idea.I think if I did use that,I'd only use it on some leading edges though...probably not the tank or rear cowl.Probably apply it to the front lower spoilers.Maybe the lower fork clamp pieces.Upper fork legs,the fronts...probably.

I'm taking care of this paint as much as I can.As time goes on...I'll see how it's holding up.IF it looks like it's collecting too many marks that can't be buffed out...I MAY consider repainting in something like a green like the frame is.Something that won't show swirls and such so easily.Right now...it looks very nice.Hasn't been a nightmare yet.

I'm getting the impression you may not have gotten your bike yet?If not...I would NOT take it out and ride it UNTIL you protect that paint.Seriously.Make sure ALL the paint surfaces are swirl free...they should be outta the crate(for God's sake make sure there's no dust and such before applying ANY top coat)(if the paint IS free of swirls and all,I would recommend NOT going over it with a buffing cloth if it doesn't need it).Immediately apply a protectant.Something to bond to that base...Then if you need to buff out anything after that..it'll be MUCH easier...and the actual clearcoat won't be harmed.The Kawasaki instructions say...'blow off dust with compressed air"...it doesn't say.."wipe the painted surfaces to make sure the dust is off before applying the sealant".That's a biggie right there.If you don't have to remove anything...DON'T.

I used that Beasleys as I said...3 coats.It's working very well at allowing any light marks to be buffed out with my swirl remover.They recommend 4 coats...I think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had one 3M pad fitted to see if I like the way it looks before the rest of the bike is done, I must say im pretty happy,we will see when I take her for a spin tomorrow to see how it stands up to a bit of jacket rub.The template they did was way out but the installer guarantees me it will be adjusted and it will fit fine when they have finished it.Its a long process as now the bike has to go to them for a test fit then adjustments will be made before the final fit.Good news for aussie owners is there should be a total coverage kit available in Australia not just leading edges.I will let you know and post some pics when its completed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Which Dr.Beasley's product should we treat it with on day 1. I will be going to the dealer to assemble my H2 myself. This is the second H2 I have assembled at this dealer and they are very accommodating. They would not mind at all if spent some time treating my paint right away, as the dealer is about a 45 minute ride from my house I would like to do this. I will show up prepared with clean microfiber shammies and some of the correct stuff, thanks for all the tips!
This place is awesome! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 3 M kit has been on for 2 years now and standing up ok,it is a bit scuffed in places as I am pretty short and get a fair bit of jacket rub on the tank.I have had a couple of pieces replaced and so far no paint has peeled of and I hope it never does when I change other parts. The whole bike is covered yes there are seams on the tank but hardly noticeable.Considering it was done for AUD $650.00 fitted I really cant complain.Not sure what the kit is selling for as I probably got a deal considering my bike was used for the template.Australians can contact Paul at Cleargurd ,located Montmorency Melbourne.

·
Registered
891 Posts
cost of that material is cheap.
when you have this done professionally most of the cost is in the labor, it's hard to do it right.
I paid $1,200 to have my H2 wrapped
just saying, the install might not be as easy as you think.

Reactions: Jeffro

·
Registered
49 Posts
cost of that material is cheap.
when you have this done professionally most of the cost is in the labor, it's hard to do it right.
I paid $1,200 to have my H2 wrapped
just saying, the install might not be as easy as you think.
Ok then yep i live in Australia so not sure were to go and get something like what you did to your bike

1 - 20 of 65 Posts