Ninja H2 banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
guy in this thread, C Dolan supposedly sold Paramount the 2 bikes they used for filming, he says 900...TopGun bike

regardless, no matter...Its my understanding the 750s were never imported to america?
I read somewhere about that deal. Kawi USA would not "give" the bikes to the studio. They were advised if Mr. Cruise wanted Ninja's, they would have to buy them as there was more demand than supply already.

I was in the industry back then, we never had 750's in North America to sell...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just to set the Ninjas in the movies record straight, Mr Cruise rode a GPz750R in top gun.

Not true. It is widely known that the bike in Top Gun was indeed a 1984 900 Ninja. I own an 84 900 Ninja, although mine is not the same color as the bike in the movie.

Kawasaki is definitely has a history for doing things BIG. Starting with the original H2, then the 1973 KZ900 Z1, then the 1984 900 Ninja (aka GPZ900R) and on to the other bikes listed previously.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Top Gun Ninja

I am the C Dolan in question.

Just joined this site about an hour or two, ago.

My small shop in San Diego sold the 2 bikes to Paramount.

I had taken some pictures while it was being filmed, here.

Mik had contacted me years ago to get more detailed pictures for his restoration project.

There have been other recreations all over the world.

1984 Ninja 900 that was re-painted to look sort of like a 1985 model.

Filming was in 1985 and released early 1986.

There are even scale models of the bike for sale on Ebay.

Like many on this site, waiting for my "end of March " delivery of an H 2. >:D

·
Registered
787 Posts
Top gun bike is a 750

In the Uk it was always believed by those who " knew " to be a 750. This must stem from MCN ( Motorcycle News ) . Personally I took it as FACT because those who knew really believed this to be the case. Cheers @mick46 for pointing this out this was in print. Cheers to C Dolan for setting the record straight. This is a rare occasion of pre internet disinformation,,,,I wonder if sadam had a Wide Mouth Frog and some one typo ed it to WMD

·
Registered
168 Posts
I could see it in Transformers. They have done motorcycles before and companies seem all too excited to get their vehicles into the film. Plenty of super cars are already featured.
You never know. Supercars have been put into the films, but I don't think this is something on Kawasaki's mind right now. Besides, Transformers kinda sucks now, although it still brings in tonnes of money.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
6-1-2018 ~ TOM CRUISE BACK ON A KAWASAKI FOR TOP GUN 2

BIKES have changed a lot in the 33 years since Top Gun was filmed in 1985. Back then a Kawasaki GPZ900 was the fastest, sexiest bike that the movie-makers could put Tom Cruise on. But for the new sequel it seems Cruise has swapped the old GPZ for a Ninja H2R.

At least that’s what it looks like from the fuzzy, long-distance spy video showing a man claimed to be Cruise riding a camera-strewn sportsbike on a dusty airfield.

Cruise has confirmed that the long-awaited, and much-delayed, Top Gun sequel – called Top Gun: Maverick – is on the way. The project originally began back in 2010, under the directorship of Tony Scott, brother of Ridley, who also directed the original. However, his suicide in in 2012 left the project hanging in the balance. Now, though, the movie is believed to be in post-production.

According to the Hollywood rumour mill, the movie will also star Cruise’s nemesis from the original film, Val Kilmer.

The use of a Kawasaki Ninja H2R (the bike in the video lacks the bulky exhaust of the road-going H2) would be a good tribute to the original movie’s GPZ900. But look at how much motorcycling has changed: In 1985, the GPZ managed 113hp and an 11.18 second standing quarter. A modern Ninja H2 makes 210hp (326hp for the H2R) and does the ¼ mile in well under 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/rNGKJjsL5xY

LINK TO VisorDown article:
Tom Cruise back on a Kawasaki for Top Gun 2 | Visordown

2nd/chase bike in video looks more like an H2, or maybe SX. Maybe H2’s w/ aftermarket exhaust but hard to tell if H2R’s or H2’s, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The fairing looks about right for an H2. It appears to have a single-sided swing arm but the rear wheel isn't stock H2 and neither is the exhaust system with no cat' and a shorty pipe. The rear end is covered by camera gear, so no more obvious clues.

·
Administrator
395 Posts
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B3VubnXJhh5/?igshid=vi0zbi4qlc96

“jasonbritton1

Kawasaki dealer meeting 2020

Such an honor to be part of the 2020 @kawasakiusa dealer meeting and I am very pleased that my bike was used in the new Top Gun Maverick movie and having Maverick ride My personal H2 throughout the movie!! Looking forward to getting my Superstar H2 #Echo home and back in my living room where she belongs!!! Blessings all around, what a brand and the @kawasakiusa 2020 lineup is ����“

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not being very well endowed he probably can get right up to the tank and she can get her butt behind him no trouble.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Not being very well endowed he probably can get right up to the tank and she can get her butt behind him no trouble.
Your observation about endowment may be right but I also saw this photo. Definitely some sort of pillion peg they've rigged up there. It must be an H2 Hollywood Special.

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts